David Beckham Announces Retirement

Stevo985

What sticks out for me is that period when he was at his peak at the turn of the century, it was almost obscene how much ground he would cover during a game, he played with so much determination, i've never seen anything like it since and possibly won't again. Obviously not massively naturally gifted but just a top, top professional and one that i'll look back at in many years to come and say was a wonderful player of that particular time. 

Edited by nobler

Not just lack of pace he couldn't go round players like the real greats of the game. Scholes had a better range of passing and scored more goals

Nobody mentions that Scholes never beat a man for pace.  Truth is neither of them really had to as their technique and passing was so good they could split open a defence or score from anywhere with a couple of touches.  It's just the way people used to laugh off Scholes's tackling that wound me up for years.

Waddle reckons he wouldn't be in the top 1000 players to feature in England's top flight.

Can't say that I agree with him, he'd comfortably make it into my top 25.

Waddle reckons he wouldn't be in the top 1000 players to feature in England's top flight.

Not just lack of pace he couldn't go round players like the real greats of the game. Scholes had a better range of passing and scored more goals

Nobody mentions that Scholes never beat a man for pace.  Truth is neither of them really had to as their technique and passing was so good they could split open a defence or score from anywhere with a couple of touches.  It's just the way people used to laugh off Scholes's tackling that wound me up for years.

Scholes doesn't rank a great either. Definition of great is George Best, Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, Platini, Zidanne etc. He's not in that league.

I always liked Beckham. Great footballer and carried the England team for years. He seemed to be the only player who cared at times.

I also subscribe to the fact he was a good bloke. Everything I have heard about makes me think that. 

Scholes doesn't rank a great either. Definition of great is George Best, Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, Platini, Zidanne etc. He's not in that league.

Ironically Zidane famously described Paul Scholes as "the finest midfielder of his generation" 

http://youtu.be/M3AHuFCoybo

Scholes is highly rated by most, if not all, but I do wonder what his reputation would have been like had he been foreign or ten years younger.   Scholes was shafted at international level time and again because of the English obsession with having a 'box to box' midfielder who charges around the pitch for 90 minutes. Scholes was more cultured than that.  What if he had been from a country who appreciated those qualities?  What if he had been coming through today and all of a sudden we realised we had a player who was every bit as good as Xavi? 

• Like 2

Paul Scholes was a dirty word removed, always hated him, plus he gave up on England way too early.  People say Beckham was limited but the only thing I can see was missing from his game was pace, he had everything else.

Hehe. Didn't mean to start a debate on DBeck vs Scholes. I was just going for a bit of wordplay. :)

I loved the Brazilian side of 82. I was so disappointed when Italy beat them.

Me too, a travesty.

Socrates was awesome

Beckham-Scholes-Keane-Giggs

What a midfield. 

Would've been interesting to see them up against:

Case-McDermott-Souness-Kennedy

I think the latter edge it.

Scholes and Souness going in for a 50/50 would've been a sight.

I loved the Brazilian side of 82. I was so disappointed when Italy beat them.

Me too, a travesty.

Socrates was awesome

82 in my opinion was the best ever world cup, Socrates legend

Beckham-Scholes-Keane-Giggs

What a midfield. 

Would've been interesting to see them up against:

Case-McDermott-Souness-Kennedy

I think the latter edge it.

How about the Leeds one of the 70s. Gray, Giles, Bremner and Lorimer. Giles for all his football ability was a hard little so and so.

I know, but if you think of the United greats he would pro be 11th at best

Edwards

Best

Law

Charlton

Robson

Cantona

Giggs

Scholes

Ronaldo

Rooney

Beckham

Bruce, Keane, Schmeichel, Irwin, Vidic, Hughes, Neville even Solskjaer would be ahead of Beckham and Rooney

Ironically Zidane famously described Paul Scholes as "the finest midfielder of his generation" 

http://youtu.be/M3AHuFCoybo

Scholes is highly rated by most, if not all, but I do wonder what his reputation would have been like had he been foreign or ten years younger.   Scholes was shafted at international level time and again because of the English obsession with having a 'box to box' midfielder who charges around the pitch for 90 minutes. Scholes was more cultured than that.  What if he had been from a country who appreciated those qualities?  What if he had been coming through today and all of a sudden we realised we had a player who was every bit as good as Xavi? 

Up there with the best midfielders and my favorite players. I feel people sell him a bit short sometimes, but you hit the nail on the head here.

Â