Boston bombing

drat01

What about the dignity of the people on the ground dead or dying. Imagine one of their last moments is to look up and see someone taking a photo of them ? Difficult one, with the intro of twitter etc I think it needs a bit of a rethink from the photographers viewpoint

But this kind of stuff has been around long long before Twitter was here.

It's more quickly circulated now, but stuff like war photography has been delivering shocking images for decades. It's nothing new.

It's how you look at it though.

Some people's instant reaction is to go and help victims. In which case standing taking photographs seems a bit cowardly.

But on the other hand, a hell of a lot more people's reactions are to run for the hills, in which case staying and photographing what's happening seems admirable.

I don't have a problem with it. As I said, if they were the only people who could help and they're taking photos then I'd be bothered by it.

If the victims are being helped by enough people then there is also a legitimate need to document what is going on. But only in the scenario where the people are being helped. So, like you, I don't have a problem with it.

What about the dignity of the people on the ground dead or dying. Imagine one of their last moments is to look up and see someone taking a photo of them ? Difficult one, with the intro of twitter etc I think it needs a bit of a rethink from the photographers viewpoint

Yet in the thread about Korea you said "It would make great TV if the US either just bomb the **** or go in on a ground offensive. I would like to see this happen."

:lol: :lol:

But this kind of stuff has been around long long before Twitter was here.

It's more quickly circulated now, but stuff like war photography has been delivering shocking images for decades. It's nothing new.

4999515947_01b4688e07_z.jpg

Boston, 1976

Photo: Stanley Forman, Boston Herald

It's quitting time on a brutally hot day in July when Boston Herald American photographer Stanley Forman hears a report of a fire in Boston’s Back Bay. He follows screaming fire trucks to a six-story apartment house in flames.

Forman remembers "a roaring, roaring inferno... heavy smoke. Heavy fire. It was like a firestorm."

Forman runs to the back of the building. "Then I spotted them. A woman, a child and they re standing there on the fire escape, 10 feet from the fire itself. And they're looking for help." As Forman watches, a firefighter climbs down from the roof. He pulls them away from the flames, shielding them with his heavy rubber coat. Seeking a better vantage point, Forman climbs onto a ladder truck.

"Everything was fine," says Forman. "I was just shooting a routine rescue. Switching lenses, switching cameras." A ladder rises slowly toward the fire escape. The firefighter reaches out to grab the ladder....

"All of a sudden, boom! It just crashes." As Forman watches, the fire escape rips away from the building. The woman is falling, the child is falling, metal is flying...

"Everything is falling and I'm thinking. Just keep shooting.' And I'm shooting and shooting. Then a bell went off in my head. I didn’t want to see them hit." Forman turns away. When he turns back, he discovers the 19-year-old woman is dead. Her 3-year-old niece miraculous survives.

And, closer to home, for me, another Back Bay fire, this one 17 June, 1972:

vendome16014921054r.jpg

My dad almost certainly is the tall fellow in one of the front rows, arms akimbo, and the two young men (I think) off the left, foreground, could well be two of my cousins. My dad took them to a Red Sox game that afternoon, they were walking back down Comm Ave to his then-apartment to wait for my uncle to pick them up (this is 10 years before I was born), when they see that the Hotel Vendome, in the process of being converted to condos, is on fire with firefighters starting to arrive. So they stopped to watch for a few minutes before moving on.

A few minutes later, one of the walls of the hotel collapses onto the street, crushing a fire truck and killing nine firefighters.

Of course, my dad ended up buying one of the condos when the conversion was complete. I was conceived there (or possibly in Leeds) and lived there till I was a couple of months old. The Marathon finish line is about two blocks down the side street (Dartmouth) to the left.

magee13399020841484.jpg

I would imagine plenty of the photos taken will be examined forensically by the Feds and as such might prove very useful over the coming days / weeks

The local TV stations between them have about a week's worth of footage from a ton of angles leading up to it. Add in the fans with cameraphones and so forth...

Amusingly, if someone tweeted that Fox News pundits are evil, and we should kill them all, I can imagine very few people would disagree.

On VT? No, probably not, but I suspect most other people would disagree with that kind of statement.

Not defending this guy's tweets by the way. They were disgusting.

Edited by Mantis

Â