Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Though we do have defensive problems I think we also need a creative midfielder because last year it was obvious we ran out of ideas quickly when the opposition sat deep.

Agreed. Ideally we need both, but we aren't in the financial position to go out and buy two 10m signings in both positions.

Last season we saw that in a lot of our games we had to score a lot of goals because we couldn't defend, I'm not complaining about that, I loved to see us scoring 3 or 4 goals even though we let in 2 or 3. But in the premiership there is a bigger reliance on a team's defence because the majority of games don't finish 4-3 or with a lot of goals like they do in other leagues.

Our attacking line as it is at the moment is alright, our defence is a bit more problematic. We need to improve defensively first so we can start to shut down teams when at 2-0 up. I suppose it's a bit chicken and egg, but if the season started today, I would be more concerned about the defence than the attack.   

• Like 2

Last season we saw that in a lot of our games we had to score a lot of goals because we couldn't defend, I'm not complaining about that, I loved to see us scoring 3 or 4 goals even though we let in 2 or 3.

I've fell into this trap myself but this is a bit of a myth. In only 5 Prem games last season we scored more than 2 goals and in one of those we scored more than 3 (the 6-1 against Sunderland). I like the way we play under Lambert but there is no doubt we need to improve at both ends of the pitch. Defensively we were a shambles for much of the season and although going forward we created plenty we need to convert more of those chances. We also need the central midfielders to chip in with a few goals this season as that was clearly lacking. You throw 15-20 goals into the mix from your central midfielders, which is  5-7 goals each, and that will make a huge difference.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Going in to the season with Delph, Sylla and Westwood as our starting midfield would be a huge gamble imo.

Delph is turning 24 and has had less than half a good season in the top flight, Sylla even less than that.

Westwood was solid last season and he's neat and tidy but no rock to form a team around yet.

If we are to move up the table we need improvements and Wanyama might be perfect

• Like 1

Wanyama would definitely tick a few boxes with Lambert....but the price?

3m more than Benteke and would arguably have the same impact, albeit slightly harder to identify because he is defensive and therefore we can't measure his presence on goals scored etc. He's also played in the champions league etc and is a more matured 21 year old if that makes sense. I see no disadvantages really, the price is steep yes, but I can guarantee if Southampton or `Cardiff sign him he will be one of their best players next season. 

The way it's looking to me is that we offer them 8m and Bannan, win win.

What's he looking for in wages though? I agree with you to a point, if we could structure the deal so that it was performance based rather than straight up cash I'd be happy with it. If the wages were not crazy ie 25k to 40k I'd be ok with it, I think Lambert would be more interested in finding someone for the 900k Celtic paid for Wanyama however.

Wanyama turned us down already before he went to Celtic because he wanted Champions League...

Can't see us spending £10m on him. Like somebody else said, Lambert is more likely to go and buy the next Wanyama than spend £10m on somebody like this.

Edited by HalfTimePost

would anyone take Gareth Barry back??

yes, he's advancing in years but would be a good mentor to our very youthful midfield and can still obviously play week in week out.

Definitely not.

Ive seen what you did there ;)

Rumours Wanyama 10m bid accepted from Southampton. He is EXACTLY what we need, a destroyer DM/CB. Only 21 and I would hope with Lambert's Celtic links he would have an advantage over other bidders. This is the big name signing we need IMO.

Some posters kept saying over and over in January that Man Utd were gonna go for him. It's only a rumour, but I can definately see him going to a lower Prem club like Southampton.

I'd like him here, but I would prefer us spend £10m on two players with potential. I can't see Lambert going for Wanyama at that price anyway.

Possibly, he has been linked with lower half PL teams but I really got no idea on how high he values himself or if he is aiming for a top 4 side. Hard to say, this was his first major season, though he did have a good season before that too. 

I think now we still need back up players for the positions of right back (for Lowton), goalkeeper (for Guzan) and a right-sided striker/winger (for Weimann).

Definitely think some of these players will be sourced from our own lower leagues.

would anyone take Gareth Barry back??

yes, he's advancing in years but would be a good mentor to our very youthful midfield and can still obviously play week in week out.

Definitely.

Too old...look forward, not backwards.

• Like 1

I think now we still need back up players for the positions of right back (for Lowton), goalkeeper (for Guzan) and a right-sided striker/winger (for Weimann).

Definitely think some of these players will be sourced from our own lower leagues.

I would be more than happy to keep Chris Herd as back up for Lowton.

Wanyama turned us down already before he went to Celtic because he wanted Champions League...

Can't see us spending £10m on him. Like somebody else said, Lambert is more likely to go and buy the next Wanyama than spend £10m on somebody like this.

He might have done already in Sylla.

What would peoples thoughts on signing bony be? Is he too far out of reach now?

We wouldnt even try for him now I dont think unless we sold Benteke, he's a ready made replacement for him. Depends if that would be what Lambert wanted. I'd love Bony but Lambert could just as easily want to pluck somebody else out of relative obscurity.

He'd probably cost £12-15m. Which i suspect is above what Lmbert would want to pay.