Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

i wonder if we are looking abroad for a left back?

I think Cresswell is nailed on myself.

I expect him and Murphy to be signed up before the season starts. We shall see, but Cresswell was always his number 1 choice and Murphy has been on his radar for some time.

I disagree, Bacuna is a box to box so is murphy so why sign murphy when we have probably just siigned a better prospect for the same position. Plus we already have Delph, Westwood, Sylla and KEA in the middle.  Creswell was second choice behind bennett and he had an average season in an ipswich team that struggled last season can't see either happenning!

• Like 1

I expect him and Murphy to be signed up before the season starts. We shall see, but Cresswell was always his number 1 choice and Murphy has been on his radar for some time.

It's gone quiet though

Philosopher, with all respect what are you on about?

Firstly, do you know both Murphy and Bacuna well enough to declare that Bacuna is a better prospect? Secondly, completely different midfield players.

Regarding Cresswell, we went in for him twice IIRC and the asking price was too high. So we went for Bennett. Lastly, you follow Ipswich closely enough to know that Cresswell had an average season?

With all these signings happening even before the window opens, what will we do throughout the next 2 months? There'll be hardly any links!

This is what I was thinking! We need to save some signings for July FFS!

Lambert out.

Probs gunna be lots of signings in July as well :P 

Firstly, do you know both Murphy and Bacuna well enough to declare that Bacuna is a better prospect? Secondly, completely different midfield players.

Regarding Cresswell, we went in for him twice IIRC and the asking price was too high. So we went for Bennett. Lastly, you follow Ipswich closely enough to know that Cresswell had an average season?

Old fart here, could someone pls explain IIRC, its been driving me mad, Thanks.

Ahh is it "if I recall correctly" ?

Edited by Villafan101

If I remember correctly=IIRC

If I remember/recall correctly. :)

If I Remember Correctly

I disagree, Bacuna is a box to box so is murphy so why sign murphy when we have probably just siigned a better prospect for the same position. Plus we already have Delph, Westwood, Sylla and KEA in the middle.  Creswell was second choice behind bennett and he had an average season in an ipswich team that struggled last season can't see either happenning!

Cresswell was never second choice. He was first choice, but he opted for Bennett as Ipswich were playing hardball on fee. Also, Murphy has been on the cards for some time. Lambert is a known admirer of him and has been spotted watching him a few times last season. Will it happen? Who knows. But I don't see that signing Bacuna will completely cast aside our attempts on bringing Murphy in. Not one bit. Options and depth. Let's say we get rid of Ireland and Bannan. Nothing wrong with replacing the two with Bacuna and Murphy. Nothing wrong with having two 'box to box' midfielders.

Edited by diehardvillan

Left back is our weakest link. Managers targeted Bennett because he wasn't up to it. It may come, but the lad looked out of his depth at times, I think he needs to develop at his own place which means he makes way for a new first choice LB so that he doesn't wither on the vine.

I bacuna and murphy are both box to box type players, both about the same age yet one plays for the dutch u21's and the other is in league one with crewe! So I would say bacuna looks the better prospect! We were link with Bennett before Creswell so I think Bennett was probably at least considered as high a priority as Creswell. While we were linked heavily with creswell those links came after Bennett and most of those link all were based on the first story that Ipswich didn't want to sell and want at least 4m for him.  /i would say it was a case of either or.  I regards to his form I haven't seen much of him, I was going on other peoples opinion (which I admit is tenuous to say the least) The last I heard of them it was mid season and paul jewell had been sacked because they were performing terribly.  However after some research just now it seems Mick McCarthy transformed their form and Creswell was one of the standouts so apologies there. Still disagree though can't see either happening but won't mind being wrong about creswell! I think a central attacking mid is more of a priority then another b2b as we don't have any that have actually produced anywhere near consistently enough! 

I wouldn't even say Murphy is a b2b midfielder. And I thought the 'you play at League 1/2 level, you're not a good player' was disproven with Lowton and Westwood?

I wouldn't even say Murphy is a b2b midfielder. And I thought the 'you play at League 1/2 level, you're not a good player' was disproven with Lowton and Westwood?

Apparently not.

I've not seen a concrete link to Murphy though as we have with all of our signings so far. This club seems to have developed a habit of getting things done too, that appears to be the norm now astonishing as it is.

He can't cost us more than £2/3m I'd imagine, so if we are in for him what's the hold up? Can't think of a single reason why he wouldn't be chomping at the bit to come here. We're THE club for young starlets it seems.