Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Hi

As I posted in Welcome thread I'm Legia Warsaw fan. Registered here after read some news about your interest in Tonev.

On the day when I registered on your website I could not post in "Transfer Speculations" but left the news about Ivelin Popov in "Welcome" window, before the news appeared in your media. Somebody here asked the question, if Villa is interested in Popov?

I'm Polish but speak Russian and read their websites.

Krasnodar President told the media that Popov is excellent player but he won't block his career if good offer for Popov comes. Russian media speculated that the club who are interested in Popov is Aston Villa.

I read Krasnodar forum and their supporters rate Popov very high. They think he is their best player and ifgoes that will be huge loss for their club.

Thanks for the post.. Do you see Tonev being able to cope in English Premier league?

• Like 1

Thank you, Kwan.

mikeyp102

Not easy question to answer. I don't know much about Villa game. 

Tonev is talented player but still raw material. He is incredibly fast, with atomic strike from both feet. Has problems with tactics. Good for counter attacking game. I don't think he would be good for positional game. Useless for Celtic game but might be useful for some other teams after six months or one year. Now he can play three or four good games for Lech and another two games where he is a waster of space.

As the Legia fan, I don't care if he leaves our biggest opponents or will stay with them.

• Like 2

Lamski, Would absolutely love Popov here. I've only seen him play a handful of times (if that) and he certainly looks like a player.

Question, is he more of a Central midfielder or a forward? I know he likes to play as a CAM mainly. 

Would Tonev and Popov be good signings?

Thank you, Kwan.

mikeyp102

Not easy question to answer. I don't know much about Villa game.

Tonev is talented player but still raw material. He is incredibly fast, with atomic strike from both feet. Has problems with tactics. Good for counter attacking game. I don't think he would be good for positional game. Useless for Celtic game but might be useful for some other teams after six months or one year. Now he can play three or four good games for Lech and another two games where he is a waster of space.

As the Legia fan, I don't care if he leaves our biggest opponents or will stay with them.

Thank you.

A lot of our team are raw and can be hit or miss so he would probably fit in well. Towards the end of the season to improve our fortunes we have switched to being a more counter attacking team so again could fit in. Our manager does demand a high work rate, so hopefully should he sign that can be added to his game

Delphinho123

Popov best position is behind the striker(s) . He is creative midfielder. Cooments on Russian forums on his play are very positive.

Tonev is not Robert Lewandowski who was sold to Borussia for 4,5 million euros. It's strange that you are going to pay 2,5 million GBP for him. Tonev is not regular starter for first Lech's  XI. The diferrence between two prices does not fit potentials of these two players IMO. My Legia play positional game and Tonev would be worth maybe 1 million GBP.

On the other hand, if you have faith in your scouts and manager, you probably need to believe that they see something in Tonev that I can't see. It's not sarcasm but the matter of point of view. I won't make final judgement on Tonev. Can't say he is good for Villa or not ? I wish your team well and if I were you I would trust that your manager knows who he needs for the team.

I'm sorry for the typos and grammar. 

Edited by Lamski
  • Like 2

I really hope people don't suddenly forget the events of the past few months and start proclaiming that experience trumps all else again.

We all know Lambert's philosophy on this so we can all rest easy.

I don't know about rest easy. I would like an experienced center half, that would be my preference if at all possible. I think it's the one position we have left to fill where it's worth spending serious money on, whether that be in terms of fee or wages. For various reasons.

However, I'm almost certain the manager will feel differently and I'm accepting of that.

Thank you, Kwan.

mikeyp102

Not easy question to answer. I don't know much about Villa game

All the bits in bold are what I would use to describe most Villa players so he should fit right in ;)

Sounds all good then really. I am sure our scouts have spotted his potential & are most likely acutely aware of his deficiencies but believe they can make a decent player from him. Sounds like a bit of a Tony Morley by all accounts.. Fast winger with a lethal shot on him...

Quick question though Lamski

Whats his dribbling like? Is he tricky? or more just pure pace?

Someone earlier mentioned Abdisalam Ibrahim for that is on loan from Man City in Norway. Apparently he wants to play in England and several clubs are looking at him, including Arsenal. (I really doubt they would pick him and he would struggle to get play time there) He fancies Arsenal but this would be an ideal time to snatch him up though before it is too late. Actually we could have done it last year since he had a great season then from what I saw but it certainly isn`t too late yet.