Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I remember Tim Abraham saying in here before the Jan window closed that we were making enquiries for the CB Douglas for when he was out of contract this summer. Would not be surprised at all if we make a go for him. 

Apparently after being amazing last season, this season he has been absolutely shite!!

I remember Tim Abraham saying in here before the Jan window closed that we were making enquiries for the CB Douglas for when he was out of contract this summer. Would not be surprised at all if we make a go for him. 

Apparently after being amazing last season, this season he has been absolutely shite!!

Tbh I can't claim I know much about him. Only really ever seen clips of him, but if Lambert thinks he will improve the defense, I am all for it. Alderweireld would be my first choice though.  :)

Edited by LockStockVilla

Cresswell certainly looks more like Lowton. He looks better defensively. Really highly rated at Ipswich. I remember when we were linked with him i looked on their forums and they were all gutted. I also looked on the Boro forums and there were comments about Bennett like 'bite their hands off' 'drive him there myself'

You can generally tell when there going to be decent players. Cresswell seems to have a good cross on him which we lack. 3 goals 5 assists and 32 shots. Pretty good from the back.

Lichaj's release means we need to find another right-back as well. Lowton's been one of the success stories, but we can't expect him to play every minute again next season.

• Like 1

Ipswich supporting friend of mine (close to his club) tells me Cresswell is VP bound. Take that as you want.

Richard you said you wouldn't!

I really don't think were interested. I see us signing an understudy to Bennett. - at £6m Cresswell has to be a non starter.

Understudy to Bennett? Seriously. Bennett couldnt even tie Creswells boots

Smetrov has made this 'point' about us not signing a first choice left back numerous times with absolutely nothing to go on and with no reasoning, but to be negative. Don't even indulge it. :)

Surley a post on poster mods (Again) ?

I don't think we will spend £6m on a player from a lower tier championship club. Thats only £1m less than we paid for Bentekke (Compare the 2 CV'S). As I understand it he has a while left on his current contract - and his current club have no wish to sell. We made a tentative enquiry early last summer, but never followed it up. I think this is just a revived link.

I have never seen him him play - so have nothing to offer in that respect. I kinda hope we do sign him. But in my opinion its odds against.

So there you have it Stefan, your ridducling of my post, makes me beleive that you are of the opinion that we will sign  Cresswell ?    (A Yes or No will suffice) :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

if Lambert thinks he will improve the defense, I am all for it. 

Based on what exactly? Our defensive record this season?

if Lambert thinks he will improve the defense, I am all for it. 

Based on what exactly? Our defensive record this season?

Yawn

• Like 2

If we are serious about Cresswell I think we can get him around £4-£4.5m. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett is not used in a midfield role.

I also expect a CB (Lescott if we could agree a reasonable wage), a keeper, a striker (Austin?) and a creative midfielder (especially if Zog and/or Bannan leave)

Maybe a couple of other additions too (not counting the odd 16 / 17 prospects we may sign) dependent on how many NextGen players are ready to step up

7 in

12 out (Petrov, Makoun, Hutton, Fonz(?), Lichaj, Dunne, Marshall, Ireland, Given, Bent, Zog, Bannan)

Edited by VillaCas

France Football linking us to Bakary Soro

He was brilliant when I saw him a few games for Wolves early season, too good for Championship and could be decent shout

He was brilliant when I saw him a few games for Wolves early season, too good for Championship and could be decent shout

Thats Bakary Sako..... Bakary Soro is a 27 year old defender... :./ I'd love us to get Sako from Wolves though!

Thats Bakary Sako..... Bakary Soro is a 27 year old defender... :./ I'd love us to get Sako from Wolves though!

OK its an easy mistake to make  ;)  :blush:

I agree without fundamentally changing the system you would need someone who is good in the air, can hold up the ball, but tricky enough to beat a defender.

First person that came to mind was Andreas Cornelius from FC Copenhagen. Would take a fair bit to convince him to join when we're not in Europe though. I'll have to check my notes later for others.

Lichaj's release means we need to find another right-back as well. Lowton's been one of the success stories, but we can't expect him to play every minute again next season.

Naughton would be a good signing as he can cover both full-back positions.  I doubt he would cost much more than the price Cresswell is being touted for and has played for Lambert before.

I think I read somewhere that Thiago Alcantara is available, now he'd be a nice creative midfielder to have in the side.  Way out of our league though.