Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Anyone else notice the following line in the Daily Mail N'Zogbia story from Simon Jones?

"Aston Villa will have to finance rebuilding from within".

That would (if it is correct) suggest that we will be going down the "sell to buy" route as we did in the last transfer window rather than backing the manager with something decent on top of the fees that come in and the wage savings that departures from the club produce.

It also heavily assumes Simon Jones knows his arse from his elbow when it comes to the internal workings of Villa this close-season.
  • Like 3

Anyone else notice the following line in the Daily Mail N'Zogbia story from Simon Jones?

"Aston Villa will have to finance rebuilding from within".

That would (if it is correct) suggest that we will be going down the "sell to buy" route as we did in the last transfer window rather than backing the manager with something decent on top of the fees that come in and the wage savings that departures from the club produce.

So we sold collins and brought 8 players? it wasn't sell to buy last season.

Anyone else notice the following line in the Daily Mail N'Zogbia story from Simon Jones?"Aston Villa will have to finance rebuilding from within".That would (if it is correct) suggest that we will be going down the "sell to buy" route as we did in the last transfer window rather than backing the manager with something decent on top of the fees that come in and the wage savings that departures from the club produce.

It also heavily assumes Simon Jones knows his arse from his elbow when it comes to the internal workings of Villa this close-season.
For the first time in a long time I'm okay with the sell to buy phraseology.

Sell the likes of Ireland, Bent, Given et al and bring in more Lowton, Benteke and Westwood types.

Ipswich supporting friend of mine (close to his club) tells me Cresswell is VP bound.  Take that as you want.

Richard you said you wouldn't!

Chap it is not ITK,  just a mate of mine who is fairly clued up on what happens at his club.  I wont be ITK stuff on here.

The bloke in the pub who said we were in for Daniel Sturridge in January says Lambert's interested in Man U midfielder Larnell Cole.

Make of it what you will. I shall be taking his words with a shovel of salt but it's all good fun.

The bloke in the pub who said we were in for Daniel Sturridge in January says Lambert's interested in Man U midfielder Larnell Cole.

Make of it what you will. I shall be taking his words with a shovel of salt but it's all good fun.

is he a box to box or playmaker?

who?

Mmm exactly.

is he a box to box or playmaker?

Twenty year old, five foot seven/eight winger (Could be the first clue to it being a no go.)

This is the only substantial thing I can find on him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2324844/Larnell-Cole--need-know-Manchester-Uniteds-hat-trick-hero.html'>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2324844/Larnell-Cole--need-know-Manchester-Uniteds-hat-trick-hero.html

And don't forget it was the ramblings of a man who said Daniel Sturridge was on his way to us January just gone.

Maybe a loan, I don't know.

Who is Manchester United’s latest hat-trick hero?

Winger Larnell Cole further endeared himself to Manchester United fans with three goals as his side progressed to the under 21 Premier League Elite Group final against Tottenham with a 3-0 victory over old rivals Liverpool.

Cole, 20, scored twice from the spot and drilled in a third to give Warren Joyce’s youngsters a resounding win in front of the watching Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.

He also scored a penalty and laid on another for Ravel Morrison in United’s brutal 3-2 FA Youth Cup quarter-final victory at Anfield in 2011, which saw both sides finish with nine men.

The Manchester-born youngster has form in derbies and scored a hat-trick in a 6-1 reserve-team thrashing of City in 2011 and managed four against Oldham in the Manchester Senior Cup in February.

Haven’t we heard the name before?

No relation to United legend Andy, the former England under 19 international made a substitute appearance for the United first team in their 3-0 League Cup win at Leeds in September 2011.

On a bizarre night at Elland Road, which saw United finish the game with Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Carrick as centre-backs after Zeki Fryers limped off to leave them with 10 men, Cole came on for Federico Macheda for the final 13 minutes.

Paul Pogba also made his debut that evening and Ferguson said afterwards: “Young Larnell Cole came on at the end, which was very good for him.

'He’s a very young under-18s player, he’s the youngest of the players coming on so it was good for them to get a taste of the atmosphere and a taste of what the first team’s like.'

What sort of player is he?

Cole generally plays on the right flank but is at home in a host of attacking positions and has even had a stint at full-back to help bring more discipline to his game.

Pacey and small, Cole is technically accomplished and gave Liverpool’s Jack Robinson, who has plenty of first-team experience, a difficult evening on Monday.

What are his strengths?

Capable of showing plenty of skill at pace and comfortable running wide or drifting in-field, Cole has been a key man for Joyce’s reserve side.

Mental strength is not a problem either and he knocked in a penalty at Anfield after Paul Pogba was bizarrely shown a second yellow card for taking a spot-kick too early.

Liverpool’s Adam Morgan did his best to disrupt Cole for his first penalty on Monday and the winger also stood his ground when team-mate Jesse Lingard tried to take the second.

And his weaknesses?

Cole appears to be 5’7 or 5’8 at most but looks to have worked on his power and is said to have improved the defensive side of his game significantly after having a spell in a deeper role.

What are his chances of breaking through at Old Trafford?

Cole was an unused substitute for the rest of last season’s League Cup run and was also on the bench for the 1-0 Champions League defeat at Galatasary in December.

Wilfried Zaha’s imminent arrival will push him further down the queue but he only turned 20 in March and it may be that a decent loan spell next season could force him into David Moyes’ thinking.

Tom Cleverley, who had loans at Leicester, Watford and Wigan, before becoming a United regular at 21 is the man for the current crop of youngsters to look to emulate.

Edited by 8pints

I don't think Lambert is against winger's per se, it's just that we have a lack of them at the club so far

I agree with you, sorry I was just being silly.

His attributes seem to fit with what Lambert (Or any manager) looks for anyway.

But I must stress once more, this is from an inebriated man in the pub, it's his enthusiasm when he tells me these things that makes me post them. Plus I'd love to post something that no one saw coming. I'd look so cool :D

Just Loan Zaha instead? (if we are thinking of loaning that guy) 

Zaha? The same Zaha who has been heavily linked with Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham? The same who was going to be leaving in January but said he will stay to try help Palace gain promotion?

Palace would get 8m+ for him with ease, rumours flying around of 10-12. Why on earth would he be available to loan, especially to a relegation candidate / midtable team? 

"That guy" is one that Man Utd have strong hopes for in future. it may be in Utd's interest to get him to us for some first team football to see how he handles the pressure of 1st team football. I for one am against this unless it's an emergency. I look at Kyle Walker, how he was in his first few games for us, and how good he became over the course of the season, and just when he was becoming a real quality player, it was time for him to go home, and now Spurs are reaping the benefits. I'd much rather we went out and found our own gems, than polish them for the bigger clubs. 

Edited by Qwpzxjor1
  • Like 1

"It also heavily assumes Simon Jones knows his arse from his elbow when it comes to the internal workings of Villa this close-season." Yes he may be taking a calculated risk that we will not splash the cash BOF & daggy_333 and it is just a line rather than a headline. But it was the first suggestion of this so I thought it worth a mention.

"So we sold collins and brought 8 players? it wasn't sell to buy last season." It was the January window I was referring to villan_007.

"Sell the likes of Ireland, Bent, Given et al and bring in more Lowton, Benteke and Westwood types". I cannot see doing that without adding funds to the transfer pot would bring in enough of those types to fill the places we want filled StanBalaban.

Zaha? The same Zaha who has been heavily linked with Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham? The same who was going to be leaving in January but said he will stay to try help Palace gain promotion?

Palace would get 8m+ for him with ease, rumours flying around of 10-12. Why on earth would he be available to loan, especially to a relegation candidate / midtable team? 

"That guy" is one that Man Utd have strong hopes for in future. it may be in Utd's interest to get him to us for some first team football to see how he handles the pressure of 1st team football. I for one am against this unless it's an emergency. I look at Kyle Walker, how he was in his first few games for us, and how good he became over the course of the season, and just when he was becoming a real quality player, it was time for him to go home, and now Spurs are reaping the benefits. I'd much rather we went out and found our own gems, than polish them for the bigger clubs. 

You seem unaware that Zaha signed for Man Utd for £15m in january and was loaned back to Palace.....

They could potentially look to loan him out in the same way that Chelsea did with Lukaku

• Like 2

You fail.