Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Why should lambert be forced to look on the cheap though.

With TV money increased and little amount spent so far you'd have hoped he could sign 1 player at the end of the window for a decent amount.

It could be that Lambert has told Lerner that he doesn't really need to spend much more money than he has done. If you look at the amount that'll be needed to get us to the top half, it's probably around what we've spent so far (ie relatively little). So the line of thinking could be "let's not spend a load of money to get top half when we can do it spending very little, instead let's wait until we ARE top half then spend proper money on a better standard of player than we could attract as a bottom half team", maybe?

Which makes no sense when we were told by HH 'There is nowhere near that (8m) amount' - not 'PL doesn't want to spend that amount'

The money doesn't exist for 1 to 3 out of 20 clubs in this league, us being one.

Swap it around then, maybe it's Lerner who's made that decision and not Lambert? Being a top half club gets you a better standard of £8m player than being a bottom half one. I find it hard to believe that if we're pushing onwards and upwards that the money won't be there if and when it's needed.

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

How much has Lerner taken out of the club in his 7 years here versus what he's put in?

Maybe he shouldn't have bought a football club.

How does that in any way address my post?

People are constantly harping on about this new TV money. But I bet no-one knows how that money is distributed or what other things we are required to spend it on.

There was an interview with Faulkner on AVTV a while back explaining how because of the new NBC deal, we need to set up some brand new state of the art TV studios for them to broadcast from in the stadium, amongst other things.

People are constantly harping on about this new TV money. But I bet no-one knows how that money is distributed or what other things we are required to spend it on.

There was an interview with Faulkner on AVTV a while back explaining how because of the new NBC deal, we need to set up some brand new state of the art TV studios for them to broadcast from in the stadium, amongst other things.

Clubs don't actually get the new TV money til next summer anyway

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

How much has Lerner taken out of the club in his 7 years here versus what he's put in?

Yes, I meant Lerner there obviously  :P

I think it's about £250m isn't it? He was putting in about £30m a season to cover signings and wages plus what he bought the club for. If we are no longer getting that boost then £10m transfer budgets a season seem about right.

It seems like he is now running the club with the same model as Kenwright at Everton.

Edited by LondonLax

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

Be reasonable man, you sound like a spoilt kid. The fact is unarguable: Randy Lerner has invested heavily in this club. 

So according to HH "the days of spending £10m on one player are long gone"

If thats the case I'd suggest it wont be to long before Paul Lambert is  'long gone'

Not necessarily. I see what you're saying but I'd say depending on how good the next few years are, the days of spending £10m on one player might come back.

I hope your right mate. The thing Is you know,  im not necessarily one of these guys that just thinks 'lots of money =success' but there is a reason that every other manager in the world is not simply plunking these world class 'Benteke-esq' players out of thin air for peanuts, because its not bloody easy. Lambert has done remarkable job imo given the some what modest backing he has received,  but how long can he continue to pull rabbits from the hat?

Edited by av1

The £10m player comment is an interesting one - because surely the point of recovering your financial position is that it allows you to reset to an extent and then get back in the race - there's a groundswell of support for what we've done, and what we're doing, but if you stay in 'recovery' mode beyond the natural point of that recovery then I think you open yourself up to some serious questions. 

• Like 4

Doesn't sound like him from your description.

Maybe you can screenshot those PMs?  Doesnt sound like HH.

Like BOF says we don't know where we will be in 2/3 years time re transfers.

Sadly they have been deleted. Unless someone with Mod powers far beyond my own can confirm that there have been two posters with similar names. Although the joining dates do match. 

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

Yes, I meant Lerner there obviously  :P

I think it's about £250m isn't it? He was putting in about £30m a season to cover signings and wages plus what he bought the club for. If we are no longer getting that boost then £10m transfer budgets a season seem about right.

It seems like he is now running the club with the same model as Kenwright at Everton.

So he's spent £250m and got, essentially, zero return... can't really blame him for approaching things a bit differently. The original approach should've been what we're doing now - get things self sustaining FIRST, then start throwing the money at it

I wonder what "meltdown moment" Richard was referring to? Perhaps Ireland and Given will be leaving?

Tbf mate, Richard said he was 'hoping' for one of those moments. Didn't claim any sort of itk on the subject. 

The £10m player comment is an interesting one - because surely the point of recovering your financial position is that it allows you to reset to an extent and then get back in the race - there's a groundswell of support for what we've done, and what we're doing, but if you stay in 'recovery' mode beyond the natural point of that recovery then I think you open yourself up to some serious questions. 

We are still a long way from where we should be financially. Even after Bents loan our 3 highest paid palyers are not in our squad!!!  That amounts to lunancy by anyones standards!

Yep and I think that's the concern.

Has our owner got the ambition for another go at the top clubs or is he happy to just be a premiership club while keeping costs low?

• Like 1

Be reasonable man, you sound like a spoilt kid. The fact is unarguable: Randy Lerner has invested heavily in this club.
I'm not arguing it, I don't feel sorry for him either. It has been error after error and now we are being run like Wigan.

His outlay has been caused by his decisions, based on him not understanding football. He has learnt a massive lesson at the fans cost.

Edited by dodgyknees