Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

With all the extra income from the Premier League deal, if the spending stays at this level then the budget it very, very disappointing.

Why? 

It ain't about how much you spend its about what you spend it on.

While its not just about how much you spend I don't agree that it doesn't matter.

I would say usually the teams who spend the most money will finish the highest up the league.

If we want to be a top 6 side again then our investment levels will need to increase in the future. I know some will be happy with what ever Lerner chooses to do but I'd hope cheap mediocrity is not our ultimate goal.

• Like 1

Honestly couldn't care how much we spend as long as it's spent on the right players that improve the team.

but who wants bargains. why spend 1 million for them when we can show ambition by spending 6 million on them :P

Honestly couldn't care how much we spend as long as it's spent on the right players that improve the team.

To a degree,  but I'd like the club to be successful and win some things.  Isnt that pretty much the aim for clubs,  or should be,  rather than just surviving or being in existence.  Not saying that's what we are doing by the way,  which is why I like very much this post from John as it sums up where my thoughts are on the matter.  I'm pretty ok for now but I do want (and expect) the level of spending to ramp up a bit to the players that are already developed.

With all the extra income from the Premier League deal, if the spending stays at this level then the budget it very, very disappointing.

Why? 

While its not just about how much you spend I don't agree that it doesn't matter.

I would say usually the teams who spend the most money will finish the highest up the league.

If we want to be a top 6 side again then our investment levels will need to increase in the future. I know some will be happy with what ever Lerner chooses to do but I'd hope cheap mediocrity is not our ultimate goal.

At the moment I'm 100% with you.

But how long will you be happy with that? Surely there has to come a point where we up the level of investment. Now that doesn't mean going down the MoN route of signings before anyone brings it up.

Why? 

To an extent yes, but when Randy was pumping millions into the club we were the 3rd highest spenders by net, we were miles off from Champions League and finished no higher than where DOL had taken us.

• Like 1

But how long will you be happy with that? Surely there has to come a point where we up the level of investment. Now that doesn't mean going down the MoN route of signings before anyone brings it up.

Sorry already bought it up, but it'll increase when we need 2 or 3 players, the turnaround of players in past two seasons has seen us bring in 15 players. Once we are stable, we will gradually add to the jigsaw and honestly believe PL see's that otherwise he wouldn't be here.

We weren't miles off champions league in 08/09, we were 3rd with 10 games to go

Where did we finish and how many points were we off from it? 10 games is a lot of games.

• Like 2

If you have your scouting system set up right (like Lambert has done) you should be able to find bargains and you wont have to spend huge amounts if you make the right sales and have patience.

Dortmund is the prime example. Since the 2007/2008 season their net transfer expenditure per season (players bought and sold) has been about 3m Euros!

Players like Blaszczykowski (3m), Subotic (4,5m), Hummels (4,2m), Bender (1,2m), Großkreutz (Free), Kagawa (350k) and Lewandowski (4,70m) have been bought for low prices because of good scouting. Who's to say we can't go down that route?

Their league finishes in these seasons have been from the 07/08 season 13th, 6th, 5th, 1st,1st and 2nd.

Edited by bose
  • Like 1

Yeah agreed terms with Cardiff only to change his mind because he didn't want to uproot his newborn kid apparently.

:o Is his newborn in school already or something? I take him as a squad player if we could off load Bannan/Fonz as part of the deal. 

Let us remember that although we have bolstered our squad, we're still in the process of shipping out the rotten apples, a few of which were arguably meant to be the 'better talented' ones out of the bunch.

Last Summer we knew that Lambert had to act on what what he had planned, what Faulkner had told/explained to him and also what he managed to work out from our squad before the season began. He decided to bring in 8 players (6 of which became first team starters), whilst shipping out 4 players (3 of which were first team starters under AMC, 2 being on loan) Even with these drastic changes, we managed to stay in the league, which I'd assume was our target for the season. We also added Sylla in January.

This Summer, Lambert has brought in a total of 6 players, 2 of which look as if they'll be first team starters. We have shipped out 11 players (none of which were first team starters, 5 being on loan). By the end of the window Lambert will have a squad made up of nearly all

Next Summer, I believe Lambert will add players to a team that he then will have developed over 2 years, that can potentially take us to the next level and replace players brought in by Lambert in 2012.

At the moment our match squad will pretty much continue to be as below:

First Team: Guzan, Lowton, Okore, Vlaar, Luna, Delph, Westwood, KEA, Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann.

Subs: Steer, Clark, Baker, Bennett, Sylla, Tonev, Helenius

So only Agbonlahor has kept his place as a first team starter since AMC left and the only players Lambert has opted to keep in the squad apart from his own signings are youth team graduates bar Delph.

It's pretty obvious that we won't be buying in bulk next year and it would have been impossible to buy a complete new squad last Summer. Lambert has laid his foundations now and I think anything we add now will be to add quality rather than numbers.

It's a massive feat to have completely overhauled the squad so soon whilst competing at the level we're at, so credit to Lambert and his team as well as us fans for sticking by it.

We don't want to fight for our place in the league of course, but I feel that most of us understand it will take hard work and dedication to get back to where we want to be.

Edited by samjp26

Ince scored most of his goals from the no 10 position playing in hole. He has talent, but I am not sure how high he can go, looks like he should at least be a handy premier league no 10.  His best assets are his pace and creativity.

If you have your scouting system set up right (like Lambert has done) you should be able to find bargains and you wont have to spend huge amounts if you make the right sales and have patience.

Dortmund is the prime example. Since the 2007/2008 season their net transfer expenditure per season (players bought and sold) has been about 3m Euros!

Players like Blaszczykowski (3m), Subotic (4,5m), Hummels (4,2m), Bender (1,2m), Großkreutz (Free), Kagawa (350k) and Lewandowski (4,70m) have been bought for low prices because of good scouting. Who's to say we can't go down that route?

Their league finishes in these seasons have been from the 07/08 season 13th, 6th, 5th, 1st,1st and 2nd.

You have to remember though that they can attract top talent because they only have 1 rich club in their league so places from 2nd down are up for grabs. They can offer champions league football and a shot at the title for any prospective signings. 

If you think we are going to be able to get close to teams like Spurs, Arsenal, or even Liverpool by signing the players we have you are dreaming, let alone thinking about the top 3 teams.

Our current level of investment might return a top half place but to move towards the top 6 spots we will need to start competing with Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool for players. Those players cost big money.  

Edited by LondonLax

You have to remember though that they can attract top talent because they only have 1 rich club in their league so places from 2nd down are up for grabs. They can offer champions league football and a shot at the title for any prospective signings. 

If you think we are going to be able to get close to teams like Spurs, Arsenal, or even Liverpool by signing the players we have you are dreaming, let alone thinking about the top 3 teams.

Our current level of investment might return a top half place but to move towards the top 6 spots we will need to start competing with Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool for players. Those players cost big money.  

Well they couldn't offer Champions League football when they signed most of those players. Now of course they are a much bigger attraction but five years ago Dortmund had just recovered from some ridiculous investments with a little help from Bayern Munchen.

I still think that with the right investment we can get close to those teams. If you look at the players Dortmund signed, those are some absolutely top quality players for really low prices. Players like Kagawa, Lewandowski and Bender are there to be found for good prices if you know how and where to look. Of course you won't buy the finished article so this would take patience but I think this is the route Lambert is going down.

I like the look of Antonie Greizmann at Real Soceidad.

Scores fairly regularly and can drop deep and link up with the midfield.

Unlike my Diego suggestion, I doubt he's on 100k a week due to the financial situation at most la liga clubs. Would cost a bit more than Michu though and La Real have qualified for the champions league so might not want to leave yet.

I don't believe there is a set level of investment in place. Obviously there are limits but as I've explained before I don't think it's a case of Randy saying to Lambert "here's £10m for you to spend on players plus whatever you can make from sales".

I don't believe there is a set level of investment in place. Obviously there are limits but as I've explained before I don't think it's a case of Randy saying to Lambert "here's £10m for you to spend on players plus whatever you can make from sales".

Lambert would have to know how much he was limited to before he starts, how could he plan his targets otherwise?