Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Cahill was not good enough to play regular football for us and he wanted to play regular football.

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but the player wanted to be a regular starter and the manager didn't feel he was good enough to do that.

Lets not forget he went to Bolton.

Ancient history now but we would have been much better off not spending £10m(!) on Davies and just using Cahill in that role of up and coming young centre back.

Cahill was not good enough to play regular football for us and he wanted to play regular football.

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but the player wanted to be a regular starter and the manager didn't feel he was good enough to do that.

Ancient history now but we would have been much better off not spending £10m(!) on Davies and just using Cahill in that role of up and coming young centre back.

Or I have a novel idea...why not just loan him out to give him regular football for a season and not selling one of our brightest upcoming young players of that time.

Or I have a novel idea...why not just loan him out to give him regular football for a season and not selling one of our brightest upcoming young players of that time.

He had been loaned out the previous season and had told the manager he wasn't going to do it again. He asked to either be given match time with us or sold permanently to a club that would.

He had been loaned out the previous season and had told the manager he wasn't going to do it again. He asked to either be given match time with us or sold permanently to a club that would.

Ah, that clears that up then.

Charlton manager Chris Powell has told homesick midfielder Dale Stephens he can leave the club if the right offer comes in. Stephens joined the Addicks from Oldham two summers ago and is keen to be closer to his family again.

hotel rooms do that to you

Me neither. Then again I'm someone who believes homesickness is for the weak ;)

It really is bizarre. I went away from my family on an outdoors course for 3 weeks solid when I was 15. I **** loved being away from my family and I could've done a year without seeing them in a heartbeat.

Then again footballers eh...

Who the hell gets homesick in such a small country? Never understood it.

Liam Prynn who we signed from Torquay few months ago for 50k he has gone back to Torquay as was homesick rather than play for big team! so i suppose that stops him moving on as a footballer possibly later on in life

Me neither. Then again I'm someone who believes homesickness is for the weak ;)

It really is bizarre. I went away from my family on an outdoors course for 3 weeks solid when I was 15. I **** loved being away from my family and I could've done a year without seeing them in a heartbeat.

Then again footballers eh...

Yeah same, I went to Australia for a year, didn't miss home or family one bit. That's the other side of the world, not a couple of hours drive. To throw away such an amazing opportunity because you're feeling a bit sad? Hahaha. 

liam prynn i can understand, hes a 16 yr old kid, clearly not ready to leave the apron strings, so in turn has probably ruined his own career long term

as for stephens, i dont get why his name keeps getting mentioned, birmingham is still a distance from oldham, is he hoping for a move to bolton? or even man city? hes not a link ive been interested to see materialize tbh

Yes in hindsight that's what we should have done.

At the time though Davies was an extremely highly rated young CB.

It didn't work out though.

as for stephens, i dont get why his name keeps getting mentioned, birmingham is still a distance from oldham, is he hoping for a move to bolton? or even man city?

Wigan when they sell McCarthy?

Davies was as good as Cahill was. Unfortunately he was signed for twice what he was worth by a bipolar manager who spunked millions on players on a whim with no thoughts on using them.

• Like 1

Davies was as good as Cahill was. Unfortunately he was signed for twice what he was worth by a bipolar manager who spunked millions on players on a whim with no thoughts on using them.

Davies was getting a lot of praise for his performances at West Brom and for the England U21 side which Cahill was not playing in.