Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

We will see. I don't think we will sign anyone else unless we ship out the unwanted players and if we do get rid of them I don't think the player we sign will be an AM.

So if we do sell the unwanted players, what positions do you think we will strengthen? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Surely we need to replace what we sell? And to some extent we were low on numbers to start with.

Heleneius
Tonev
Okore
Steer

Bacuna
Luna

So we have signed 6

We have got rid of

Dunne
Dawkins
Bannan
(Any i have missed?)

and Petrov has retired

Which leaves

Given
Ireland
Bent
Hutton
Delf
Stevens

and possibly Zog - although I am not 100% sure we want to sell him, but I doubt we'd block a move if someone came in for him.

Donacian, Herd and Webb are clearly going to be preferred as right back cover to a new signing.

We might get rid of Bent but for the rest it sounds like loans with subsidised wages and other bullshit will mean we don't get rid of completely anytime soon. Which begs the question if when the season starts no-one has come in and taken them and we have to pay them why not just reintergrate as clearly no-one else wants or can afford our dead wood. I have no issue with Bent and Given being a part of our team, they have done little wrong.

We are some way from getting rid of enough dead wood to justify any more signings. 

We don't need to replace what we sell, because they played no part really. We can only register 25 players over 21, remember, and we've pretty much got that already

Agree with this.

Maybe one or two more players i'd like to see come in but replacing what we sell is not really required especially as most of them were frozen out anyway

Hopefully after this summer we're only replacing first team players, which will in turn improve the squad every window. As important as this rebuilding process has been, there's a point where you need to stop buying younger players with potential and start buying guys who can slot straight in, albeit with much fewer signings every season. IMO once this season's done we should be looking at spending about £20m a year, on 2-3 players, with sales funding part of that. Next year will be an anomaly since Benteke will be sold bringing in a massive wedge, but if we can capitalise on that and spend the money on players to come straight into the starting XI, we'll come out of it a lot stronger

Surely we need to replace what we sell? And to some extent we were low on numbers to start with.

Heleneius

Tonev

Okore

Steer

Bacuna

Luna

So we have signed 6

We have got rid of

Dunne

Dawkins

Bannan

(Any i have missed?)

and Petrov has retired

Which leaves

Given

Ireland

Bent

Hutton

Delf

Stevens

and possibly Zog - although I am not 100% sure we want to sell him, but I doubt we'd block a move if someone came in for him.

Donacian, Herd and Webb are clearly going to be preferred as right back cover to a new signing.

We might get rid of Bent but for the rest it sounds like loans with subsidised wages and other bullshit will mean we don't get rid of completely anytime soon. Which begs the question if when the season starts no-one has come in and taken them and we have to pay them why not just reintergrate as clearly no-one else wants or can afford our dead wood. I have no issue with Bent and Given being a part of our team, they have done little wrong.

We are some way from getting rid of enough dead wood to justify any more signings.

Think you missed a couple of youngsters... Some lad has gone to Bristol City. Main one you missed is Lichaj though. Can't remember who else has left :/

Guys, I'm starting to think that the team we have at the moment is what we are going to go with for the season. (Or until Jan). Are we happy with that?

Edited by Tayls

Guys, I'm starting to think that the team we have at the moment is what we are going to go with for the season. (Or until Jan). Are we happy with that?

I'd be happy enough with it I think. The squad would be:

Guzan

Steer (U21)

Siegrist (U21)

Baker

Bennett

Vlaar

Clark

Luna

Lowton

Okore (U21)

Donacien (U21)

Bacuna

El Ahmadi

Westwood

Sylla

Delph

Herd

Johnson (U21)

Gardner (U21)

Grealish (U21)

Tonev

Carruthers (U21)

Albrighton

Helenius

Weimann

Agbonlahor

Benteke

Bowery

That's 20 players born in 91 or earlier, and 8 born in 92 or later

There's also NZogbia and Stevens who are unlikely to be sold, but might be included bring the over 21s up to 22. There's probably room for another 5 in there, but a good few of the u21s will be o21 next season, so you'd have to figure out if they're going to be moved on next summer or kept.

Edited by P3te

Knowing that Benteke will probably off next summer I hope we prepare properly this time to replace players.

We have a horrible record of replacing players.

If we start to think about it now come next summer we should be prepared and hopefully get the right replacements in.

Anyway that's for next summer (I hope he doesn't kick up a fuss in Jan) so we'll think about it then.

We won't really know until the season is about 8 matches in. As it stands I suspect this squad can certainly score a goal or two, but will still be so suspect in defence. I reckon a lot of Premier League matches this year (as always) will be closely contested and decided by the small details. I'm hopeful we can go for top 8/9, but we could easily get stuck in lower mid table depending on the small details of each game.

I still think we need an attacking player who can make things happen in the middle of the park and a bit more steel at the back.

Knowing that Benteke will probably off next summer I hope we prepare properly this time to replace players.

We have a horrible record of replacing players.

If we start to think about it now come next summer we should be prepared and hopefully get the right replacements in.

Anyway that's for next summer (I hope he doesn't kick up a fuss in Jan) so we'll think about it then.

Apparently Lambert already knew who he was going to buy to replace Benteke. It helps to be prepared by keeping the manager for the first time in ages. 

We don't need to replace what we sell, because they played no part really. We can only register 25 players over 21, remember, and we've pretty much got that already

all the deadwood did'nt play any role last seasons good run, maybe NZ... So any new signings from now on is a bonus

That's the way I see it. The players we have sold or released have already been replaced. Holman, Lichaj, Dunne etc etc. The 'bomb squad' are those that are just making our wage structure more than what it should be. (Or what the hierarchy want it to be). So the plan now is to hurry and get rid when we can and we don't need to 'replace' those individuals because they had little impact anyway.

Edited by Tayls

I think we will see another CM come in once the likes of Given, Bent and Ireland move on. The links to the likes of Belhanda an Kiyotake would suggest we are looking at an attacking midfielder. Personally i'd like us to go for Will Hughes at Derby.

I think we will see another CM come in once the likes of Given, Bent and Ireland move on. The links to the likes of Belhanda an Kiyotake would suggest we are looking at an attacking midfielder. Personally i'd like us to go for Will Hughes at Derby.

But at the same time you have to wonder why either those didn't/haven't happened? If this was the area where we needed to strengthen as a matter of urgency, you'd think we would have done it already...

It's interesting. Looking forward to seeing what will happen.

But at the same time you have to wonder why either those didn't/haven't happened? If this was the area where we needed to strengthen as a matter of urgency, you'd think we would have done it already...

We probably need to ship the bomb squad to fill up room for the players expected wages. Belhanda for example would of demanded a higher wage possibly in the region of 40k+ which is a big risk for someone who might not turn out good in the Premier League.

I'd imagine if we ship out Bent, Given, Ireland and Hutton soon we might be in for Kiyotake at the apparent release price of £10million.

We probably need to ship the bomb squad to fill up room for the players expected wages. Belhanda for example would of demanded a higher wage possibly in the region of 40k+ which is a big risk for someone who might not turn out good in the Premier League.

I'd imagine if we ship out Bent, Given, Ireland and Hutton soon we might be in for Kiyotake at the apparent release price of £10million.

Did Julie B tell you that. :)

I'll post this again in case there's still someone on here who hasn't seen it.

We need Sneijder.

Bang for buck would be the best player we could possibly get at the moment. In my humble opinion of course.

• Like 1