The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

In that Mother of all funk chords thing, I think the drummer is Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie; not exactly pretty is he ! However, he invented this rather difficult (well it is to me) groove called the Purdie shuffle ; which has a half time feel. A great drummer and not exactly a shrinking violet. Plays on a number of Steely Dan tracks but a really good example is a number called "Home at Last"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Damned not the Pistols but that doesn't detract from your point

Indeed !! My mistake ; cheers. Incidentally ... I strongly suspect that is not his real name 😃.

2 hours ago, veloman said:

In that Mother of all funk chords thing, I think the drummer is Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie; not exactly pretty is he ! However, he invented this rather difficult (well it is to me) groove called the Purdie shuffle ; which has a half time feel. A great drummer and not exactly a shrinking violet. Plays on a number of Steely Dan tracks but a really good example is a number called "Home at Last"

If you've ever watched his video explaining the shuffle it's hilarious. He also plays all these amazing ghost notes and just says "oh don't worry about them, you can just add them in" like they're nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

HEY!

Stop trying to throw me out of a job!

Haha! Seriously though, I've just downloaded the free version, and it's pretty amazing. 

Imagine that many posters in this thread follow their favourite artists on social media.

I follow a stack. Amongst the most interesting are the pages run by the artists themselves.

Wasn't around in the 60s. Swinging London and the US West Coast scene seem always seemed like distant places.

Now I follow Tony Hatch and Michael Fennelly, and from time to time their thoughts and reminiscences appear next to my friends' random output.

You can chat back to them all. How mad is that, really?

Not recommending those two examples to everyone. They're not fonts of multifaceted wisdom, but they were deeply involved in those 60s scenes and made some of the best tunes, with the best people.

Which artists that stick their heads above the parapet do you lot follow?

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Imagine that many posters in this thread follow their favourite artists on social media.

I follow a stack. Amongst the most interesting are the pages run by the artists themselves.

Wasn't around in the 60s. Swinging London and the US West Coast scene seem always seemed like distant places.

Now I follow Tony Hatch and Michael Fennelly, and from time to time their thoughts and reminiscences appear next to my friends' random output.

You can chat back to them all. How mad is that, really?

Not recommending those two examples to everyone. They're not fonts of multifaceted wisdom, but they were deeply involved in those 60s scenes and made some of the best tunes, with the best people.

Mostly country/folk/Americana acts in my case. Tom Russell is my favourite correspondent, as I've seen him live and chatted on several occasions, so we have ongoing in-jokes that carry over into the online world, and I get shout-outs in his videos, that nobody else understands. Also, former 'Rolling Stone' rock critic John Mendelssohn (famously slagged off the first Led Zeppelin album) is a FB friend. There are several others, but you're right, it's good, and slightly surreal. I think it only works for artists still on their way up, or ones past their period of fame. I'm never going to hobnob with Bob Dylan or Neil Young, sadly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xann said:

Beak> plus Geoff Barrow (him out of that there Portishead) and Billy Fuller's (who is also Robert Plant's bass player) personal accounts. Expect fireworks as Geoff and Billy trade insults (they are joking), politics and a f*** the Tories attitude.

I probably follow a few others too but most of the musos I do follow are actually friends or aquaintances

• Like 2

My old Tanglewood has pretty much finally bitten the dust, it is in desperate need of re-fretting and the neck is badly warped, I've tried adjusting the truss rod but it hasn't helped it, at the 12th fret the action is over 3.5mm.

I've had it for about 20 years and I've had some great fun on it but for the last few years its just been sitting there collecting dust, I'm thinking of just scrapping it and getting a new one.

Anyone got any recommendations for an acoustic in the £600/£800 bracket?

I haven't been to a guitar shop in years so I'm not too clued up on what the best guitars are these days

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Slightly above my budget, but there are some suggestions here.

To be honest I'll probably end up paying £400/£500 but I do fancy stumping up a bit more just to treat myself, the differences between the guitars would most likely be minimal, it would purely be a treat if I found anything really special. 

On 22/08/2020 at 19:55, veloman said:

WHAT !!! 

Do you not like social media? Don't you follow any wise old heads from back in the day?

I'm back in touch with some band friends that moved abroad via FB, it's been nice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xann said:

Do you not like social media? Don't you follow any wise old heads from back in the day?

I'm back in touch with some band friends that moved abroad via FB, it's been nice.

The exclamation was at Tony Hatch/Jackie Trent. !

I have just bit the bullet and purchased a cheap second hand bass to have a play on. I played guitar back in my teens and early twenties but was never any good so thought I’d try the bass.

i have a mate up the road who drums so the plan is to jam together once I’ve figured out the basics! 

• Like 4

Â