The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

That's a great story. I played with a bass player (sadly a big WBA fan) who had a Kramer, as per Stanley Clarke. He complained that it went out of tune under heat from lights and eventually swapped it for a Precision. From Musical Exchanges I think, bottom of Snow hill. Despite the Dingles connection he was a great bass player - first one I played with who could play 'slap' like Larry Graham !! (perhaps not quite as good but then I wasn't much of a drummer).

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 13:52, veloman said:

That's a great story. I played with a bass player (sadly a big WBA fan) who had a Kramer, as per Stanley Clarke. He complained that it went out of tune under heat from lights and eventually swapped it for a Precision. From Musical Exchanges I think, bottom of Snow hill. Despite the Dingles connection he was a great bass player - first one I played with who could play 'slap' like Larry Graham !! (perhaps not quite as good but then I wasn't much of a drummer).

That was just the greatest shop... You could walk in with say £50, ask if they had anything for that price, watch as they ferreted around in one of the little alcoves piled high with second-hand stuff and then walk out with a perfectly decent example of whatever it was you wanted at that price.

There just don't seem to be music shops like that any more.

• Like 2

Never went in guitar section but their drum dept was equally good. Went in for a Yamaha 9000 series as I was convinced this would make me sound like Steve Gadd. Ended up with Pearl DLX , which was beautiful (and cheaper); the point I'm making is that they had both in stock !!! The shop used to be called Yardleys - guess most on here weren't born then. The drum dept was next door but one on Constitution Hill; the guy who worked in there at the time was a guitarist named Dave Ball - who was a brilliant guitarist and , sadly , probably a better drummer than me. I was lucky enough to play with him in a Blues band. He later went on to play with Long John Baldry and Procul Harum. A small claim to fame from me.

• Like 1

Husband and Wife are Christmas Shopping at a busy shopping mall just before Christmas. The wife suddenly noticed that her husband was missing and as they had a lot to do, she called him on his phone.

The wife said " Where are you, you know we have lots to do."
He said "You remember the jewelers we went into about 10 years ago, and you fell in love with that diamond necklace? I couldn’t afford it at the time and I said that one day I would get it for you?"

Little tears started to flow down her cheek and she got all
choked up…

"Yes, I do remember that shop." she replied.

"Well I’m in the guitar shop next door to that."

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Husband and Wife are Christmas Shopping at a busy shopping mall just before Christmas. The wife suddenly noticed that her husband was missing and as they had a lot to do, she called him on his phone.

The wife said " Where are you, you know we have lots to do."
He said "You remember the jewelers we went into about 10 years ago, and you fell in love with that diamond necklace? I couldn’t afford it at the time and I said that one day I would get it for you?"

Little tears started to flow down her cheek and she got all
choked up…

"Yes, I do remember that shop." she replied.

"Well I’m in the guitar shop next door to that."

How did Mrs. Mooney take it?

15 hours ago, il_serpente said:

How did Mrs. Mooney take it?

Haha! Never quite done that, but we did once stop at a supermarket for some provisions on a holiday trip in Wales, and I noticed a music shop next door. "You get the shopping, I'll just pop in here for a minute", I said. Of course, it was an Aladdin's cave of guitars, and I got on famously with the owner - I was in there for about an hour. She was not impressed. (Didn't buy anything, mind). 

• 1 month later...
On 08/10/2018 at 16:28, TheAuthority said:

I did some recording with Esperanza Spalding a few weeks ago and one of the tracks was released yesterday. She's a very talented lady (and very cool too) and here's the track. Quite a bit of me on bass trombone & tenor trombone in the opening :) Although the engineer was a cool guy I don't like the sound of the instruments and I theres something about the mastering that just doesn't sound natural. I love the track though.

The Grammy for best jazz vocal album 2020 goes to.....  “12 Little Spells,” Esperanza Spalding.

Well done :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Phunnay Videos thread.  These guys hooked up bar code readers to some kind of decoder/audio generator/speaker combo.  Incorporating the shirts into the performance is a clever idea.

• Like 1

Â