The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Got a few musicians in amongst my friends , we did a Houseparty version of mustang sally , where the musicians played guitar , keyboard and rather randomly a trombone  ... and the non musicians like me played whatever we could find ... for me it was a kazoo and a squeaky chicken toy raised from the kids rooms , someone else played a Jewish harp and another the spoons 

thankfully no footage exists but I laughed so much  I fear I ruptured something ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Jewish harp

Racist.  :)

It's a jaws harp (sometimes corrupted to Jew's harp). 

Edited by mjmooney

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Racist.  :)

It's a jaws harp (sometimes corrupted to Jew's harp). 

:blush: always thought it was “Jew “  ... could have sworn that’s how I’ve only ever heard it referred as , not that it comes up a lot in conversation 

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I've decided to pick up the guitar again after about 20 years of total neglect. I'm not very good but I can play a few chords and I can keep time and have a good ear. I bought a used Ibanez AS73 semi hollow electric.

I need to restring it, buy a strap, a little amp, a cable. Can any guitar heroes on here suggest a Youtube channel or an app for learning guitar, for beginners? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Didn't know Fender did a baritone Tele. Perhaps one for the musicians' thread. 

It's part of the upcoming "Paranormal" range which is basically a re-run of some of the weirder Squier models of the past (offset Teles, Toronados and the like).  I've been after the Super-Sonic for ages, for admittedly no reason other than it's the chief guitar on my fave album.  Figured as I don't own a baritone (and the entire Paranormal range is uniformly affordable) I might as well pick up one as well, especially as I chiefly like to do drone/ambient stuff.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 02:32, maqroll said:

Alright, so I've decided to pick up the guitar again after about 20 years of total neglect. I'm not very good but I can play a few chords and I can keep time and have a good ear. I bought a used Ibanez AS73 semi hollow electric.

The holy grail!  I wish I could.  All my delay pedals are ones where you can punch in the exact BPM and subdivisions as I have such a horrifically shit sense of timing that tap tempo is just right out. 😭

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

The holy grail!  I wish I could.  All my delay pedals are ones where you can punch in the exact BPM and subdivisions as I have such a horrifically shit sense of timing that tap tempo is just right out. 😭

I'm the same. Can't keep time with a click track. But my DAW (Reaper) metronome can be tweaked to use drum samples, so I generally set it up with a big loud kick and snare (or hi hat), then I have a fighting chance of keeping to time with my initial rhythm guitar part. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 02:32, maqroll said:

I need to restring it, buy a strap, a little amp, a cable. Can any guitar heroes on here suggest a Youtube channel or an app for learning guitar, for beginners? 

Only just seen your post, I'd recommend Andy Guitar on YouTube.  He has all sorts of stuff for all ability levels, plus tutorials for loads of songs and goes into the basic chord strumming all the way to the lead guitar parts.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 16/07/2020 at 08:38, Xann said:

That's quite interesting.  I learned jazz improvisation from the Real Book, though I would say that for me and most of the people I've played with, it wasn't at the expense of listening to original recordings as he suggests.   Not to say that we analyzed the recordings to anywhere near the level that he's done.

The bridge to Girl from Ipanema has always been and continues to be challenging for me.  I had a teacher of a jazz combo class I took for several years who also taught a pretty basic but very enlightening jazz theory class.  His recommended trick (I hate the term "life hack", but it kind of fits here) for the bridge falls in line somewhat with this guys analysis but is much simpler.  He said to treat the IV maj7 to bVII7 in the first 4 bars as being effectively a I to IV7 (forgetting about the actual key for the moment) and lean heavily on the blues scale for the IV7 chord.  Repeat for the next two 4-bar sequences.  Anyone with any experience playing blues and rock has plenty of practice doing that and can come up with something that sounds half decent.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Anyone with any experience playing blues and rock has plenty of practice doing that and can come up with something that sounds half decent.

Can't play for toffee :) 

Guests play the guitar in lounge more than I do. It is in tune, there's standards :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

That's quite interesting.  I learned jazz improvisation from the Real Book, though I would say that for me and most of the people I've played with, it wasn't at the expense of listening to original recordings as he suggests.   Not to say that we analyzed the recordings to anywhere near the level that he's done.

The bridge to Girl from Ipanema has always been and continues to be challenging for me.  I had a teacher of a jazz combo class I took for several years who also taught a pretty basic but very enlightening jazz theory class.  His recommended trick (I hate the term "life hack", but it kind of fits here) for the bridge falls in line somewhat with this guys analysis but is much simpler.  He said to treat the IV maj7 to bVII7 in the first 4 bars as being effectively a I to IV7 (forgetting about the actual key for the moment) and lean heavily on the blues scale for the IV7 chord.  Repeat for the next two 4-bar sequences.  Anyone with any experience playing blues and rock has plenty of practice doing that and can come up with something that sounds half decent.

Are you a musician il Serp?

36 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Are you a musician il Serp?

Depends on how far along the spectrum from tone-deaf hack to genius maestro one has to land to be considered a musician.  I've never played regularly for money or anything.  I was a band geek in high school (marching band drum major, lead trumpet in Jazz Ensemble) and played in an extracurricular jazz ensemble for a couple of years in college (Eastman School of Music was part of the university, so gaps in the group were filled by Eastman students and the leader was an Eastman grad student who was in their top jazz group, and we weren't half bad).  I jammed regularly with a group of friends here in the Bay Area for ~10 years doing small group stuff and we occasionally did non-paying gigs, parties and played for tips at a coffee house.   When the second kid was born I had to drop it because I just wasn't able to find the time needed to keep up the embouchure.  Since picking up a piano a few years ago I've been spending a lot of time noodling around on that since you can easily sit down and play for a few minutes whenever time permits without having to warm up the lip or anything.  I'm probably a better jazz improviser on piano now than I ever was on trumpet, though I play everything a step up since all my various Real Books are in Bb.

TL; DR:   Sorta

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Depends on how far along the spectrum from tone-deaf hack to genius maestro one has to land to be considered a musician.  I've never played regularly for money or anything.  I was a band geek in high school (marching band drum major, lead trumpet in Jazz Ensemble) and played in an extracurricular jazz ensemble for a couple of years in college (Eastman School of Music was part of the university, so gaps in the group were filled by Eastman students and the leader was an Eastman grad student who was in their top jazz group, and we weren't half bad).  I jammed regularly with a group of friends here in the Bay Area for ~10 years doing small group stuff and we occasionally did non-paying gigs, parties and played for tips at a coffee house.   When the second kid was born I had to drop it because I just wasn't able to find the time needed to keep up the embouchure.  Since picking up a piano a few years ago I've been spending a lot of time noodling around on that since you can easily sit down and play for a few minutes whenever time permits without having to warm up the lip or anything.  I'm probably a better jazz improviser on piano now than I ever was on trumpet, though I play everything a step up since all my various Real Books are in Bb.

TL; DR:   Sorta

Nice! a brass player like myself. I'm surprised you can't live comfortably in the Bay area as a musician.........:crylaugh:*

*inside joke related to pay

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Nice! a brass player like myself. I'm surprised you can't live comfortably in the Bay area as a musician.........:crylaugh:*

*inside joke related to pay

LOL.  I gave up on the idea of music for a living long before coming to the Bay Area.  A number of friends a year  or two ahead of me in high school, all good musicians, went off to study music and only one of them came out the other end and made a living at it.   I knew I wasn't disciplined enough to master an instrument and did very well academically, so I chose the path that didn't lead to poverty.

• Haha 1

Â