The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

2 hours ago, veloman said:

On FB , yes. Steve Gadd, Steely Dan, Brian Dunne (drummer with Hall and Oates) but most of the others have died !!

Does Steve G make an appearance?

46 minutes ago, veloman said:

Well, if you mean Steve Gadd, he doesn't message me for advice !!😄😄😄

:) 

Does he post to his page? Most band/musician pages I follow are managed, it's more like a fanclub relationship.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/08/2020 at 22:00, leemond2008 said:

My old Tanglewood has pretty much finally bitten the dust, it is in desperate need of re-fretting and the neck is badly warped, I've tried adjusting the truss rod but it hasn't helped it, at the 12th fret the action is over 3.5mm.

I've had it for about 20 years and I've had some great fun on it but for the last few years its just been sitting there collecting dust, I'm thinking of just scrapping it and getting a new one.

Anyone got any recommendations for an acoustic in the £600/£800 bracket?

I haven't been to a guitar shop in years so I'm not too clued up on what the best guitars are these days

Well I think I have settled on this

Martin 000-10E Sapele

The Martin 000-19E

I went into the store today but they didn't have any in stock, I played a more expensive model with the same body and it played wonderfully, its £839 so I'm not going to commit myself until I have played it properly but I'm fairly certain that this is what I'll end up getting, I like the wide fretboards on the Martins.

I also had a play on this one which is also £839

190711346007008f.jpg?h=500&maxwidth=770&

But with the dreadnought body it is more of a volume/bashing out the chords sort of guitar, again it was **** lovely to play but I've already got a decent enough guitar for strumming and shit, I want something a little gentler for the fingerpicking.

• Like 1

As a 'bashing out the chords' guy, I'd go with the dreadnaught - I can just about stumble through a bit of fingerpicking... until I try and sing at the same time - how the HELL does anybody do that? 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As a 'bashing out the chords' guy, I'd go with the dreadnaught - I can just about stumble through a bit of fingerpicking... until I try and sing at the same time - how the HELL does anybody do that? 

I've always been a "bashing out the chords" guy as well, over the last few months though I went right back to basics with my picking, I'm improving rapidly on it and I'm finding that I'm spending more time picking now than strumming, I've always had dreadnoughts so it'll be nice to have something a little different.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 14:45, leemond2008 said:

Martin 000-10E Sapele

Just had the Email to say that this is in stock, rang them up and put a deposit on it, should be able to go and give it a try on Saturday/Sunday.

You watch, I've been waiting so long for it now that I'll think its a bag of shit when I actually sit down and play on it.

They have been waiting on an order from Martin for the last 2 months and they received just one of these models in the Glasgow shop so they've gotta get it sent to Birmingham for me.

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Just had the Email to say that this is in stock, rang them up and put a deposit on it, should be able to go and give it a try on Saturday/Sunday.

You watch, I've been waiting so long for it now that I'll think its a bag of shit when I actually sit down and play on it.

They have been waiting on an order from Martin for the last 2 months and they received just one of these models in the Glasgow shop so they've gotta get it sent to Birmingham for me.

A friend of mine has one. It's nice. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A friend of mine has one. It's nice. 

I'm hoping so for the price, I'm not going into it saying "I'm definitely getting this one" although I'm quietly confident that I will, I'm gunna wanna have a good mess around on it before committing to it, its a lot of dough to be spending so I've gotta make sure I'm certain.

6 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm hoping so for the price, I'm not going into it saying "I'm definitely getting this one" although I'm quietly confident that I will, I'm gunna wanna have a good mess around on it before committing to it, its a lot of dough to be spending so I've gotta make sure I'm certain.

Actually, I think his is more dreadnought sized: 

Screenshot_20201014_194812_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Â