Best Places to live in the UK

AvfcTheObsession

Aylesbury is a weird place.  It has a pretty town centre, but it is in the middle of nowhere and you really do feel that fact when you are there. 

Have you been recently? Everything closing down, boarded up, businesses closing down left right and centre.

I've gone there three or four times a month for about the last ten years.  

Edited by The_Rev

I'm surprised you've all heard of it. It's so tiny.

It's the county town of Buckinghamshire, you frightful pleb!  Jimi Hendrix played in Aylesbury once.

and.......

it is still a tiny place with 58,000 rising to 73,000 if you include the surrounding villages that connect with it. That puts it outside the countries top 100 cities/towns in terms of population.

I hate built up city areas, so London is a big no-no for me.

I'd much prefer to move out somewhere green, quiet and.. well not so much isolated but a small hamlet / village. I love places like Ludlow and Leominster and have spent many a weekend up there. I'd look at moving to one of those places probably. Close enough that I can get to work in an hour and far enough away that I'm not tied to the job so to speak.

Having grown up in between Watford and Hemel Hempstead I would also back the Rev's shout from earlier in this thread that you should avoid medium-sized market towns near London like the plague. Proper dives - Hemel in particular, Watford's not quite as bad.

This just about sums up what there is to do in Hemel. 

I am currently mere metres away from the lovely Sheppey and will be over there first thing in the morning.

Currently in Shittingbourne.

Have you been over recently and seen the two giant land based wind turbines? I've been up one!

Used to live in Sittingbourne , moved to Surrey in 77 :)

Not been to Sheppey in over 20 years to be honest .. Did think about taking the kids there the other week ... And then I remembered it will most likely be them that choose my retirement home so thought better of it

Edited by tonyh29

Well, if you know it that well, I'll refine it, I'm in Bapchild.

Prefer it in the winter, you can't beat a bit of bleak deserted funfair and seashore.

For a change, I often go to Barry Island, which is Sheppey but with dirty water.

yeah, that, plus Coldharbour Lane, the Ritzy, The Windmill, Jamm. The Buzzcocks were playing at the Electric on Friday.

just a great vibe and to my surprise, really really friendly for the most part

yeah, that, plus Coldharbour Lane, the Ritzy, The Windmill, Jamm. The Buzzcocks were playing at the Electric on Friday.

just a great vibe and to my surprise, really really friendly for the most part

Brixton is arguably London's liveliest spot. I absolutely love the choice of outstanding, good value restaurants in Brixton Village as well. My only issue with B-town is that it's always soooo busy.

Edited by PatrickCousens

Â