The Randy Lerner thread

CI

That twitter post is very very interesting...

It's a subtle PR setup "leaking" information to us in my opinion. One thing for sure is that it's not a 16 year old "ITK",

True but also highly ambiguous. IF the club is in the process of being taken over and someone very senior really controls this Twitter account I see no earthly reason why they would want to lead fans along.

However if they are planning something quite different that has been signed & sealed such as a JV, new investment, stadium naming rights, major sponsorship etc it could make sense

Edited by MikeMcKenna

It's a subtle PR setup "leaking" information to us in my opinion. One thing for sure is that it's not a 16 year old "ITK",

True but also highly ambiguous. IF the club is in the process of being taken over and someone very senior really controls this Twitter account I see no earthly reason why they would want to lead fans along.

However if they are planning something quite different that has been signed & sealed such as a JV, new investment, stadium naming rights, major sponsorship etc it could make sense

Something is happening.

I don't know what it is, but something...

How's that for ambiguous haha!!

it does make the TBAR takeover rumours seem like are they coming from a reasonable source. This twitter account.. Randys statement.. Lambert press interviews.. all point to something.

Would you be happy with Randy staying and agreeing to a 50/50 ownership with someone like Ellison or Phil Anschutz?

I wouldn't mind it personally. The new owner could bring in the funds and professionalism where as Randy will make sure no BS renaming of the club name or colours will occur.

Either way.. its going to be interesting.

• Like 2

Why would Randy hang about with shared ownership? He has been to 1 game in 18 months. He is not interested one bit. He said at the start that if he couldn't do it he would step aside and I believe that is happening now.

• Like 3

Goodbye you utter failure of a man.

Bit harsh.

I think that was nice.

Failed at owning the browns, failed at owning villa, failure in his marriage. He's a failure who was fortunate enough to have a rich father. In a few months he won't be anything to do with villa.

Can we please declare this one of the worst posts of 2014? Getting personal like this is absolutely ridiculous.

Lerner needs to get out for all our sakes before we drop like a stone, yes.

However, calling a rather private businessman who the public on both sides on the Atlantic know little about a "failure in marriage" is about as wide of the mark as you can get. We don't get to read the divorce papers, and we don't know how little Johnny or whatever thinks about it. Just put a little perspective into it, the man's a fecking human being.

Have some of you read the things people used to say about doug, mcleish, heskey, hutton etc.. I don't remember too many being disgusted with what was said to them. What i said about lerner wasn't half as bad as some of the abuse given out to others. I guess lerner did give us a scarf.

Randy would not have issued a 'holding' statement if he was totally committed to staying.

Lambert said the statement was 'clever' so there must be some kind of inference required.

The cost-cutting, wage-bill, debt clearing, sustainability model are all sure-fire signs of sale preparation.

Let's hope we get some changes for the better. Staying up was so vital for this club and you could even argue that this season was the ideal one - just enough to stay up but bad enough to show that things must change.

Sometimes in life you need a wake-up call or to 'dodge a bullet' in order to snap you out of s state of inertia. Hopefully this season was it.

I agree that there is very little concrete evidence that avfc will be sold, but like you say the statement from Lerner was very strange IF he is not selling.

Bit harsh.
I think that was nice.

Failed at owning the browns, failed at owning villa, failure in his marriage. He's a failure who was fortunate enough to have a rich father. In a few months he won't be anything to do with villa.

Can we please declare this one of the worst posts of 2014? Getting personal like this is absolutely ridiculous.

However, calling a rather private businessman who the public on both sides on the Atlantic know little about a "failure in marriage" is about as wide of the mark as you can get. We don't get to read the divorce papers, and we don't know how little Johnny or whatever thinks about it. Just put a little perspective into it, the man's a fecking human being.

Have some of you read the things people used to say about doug, mcleish, heskey, hutton etc.. I don't remember too many being disgusted with what was said to them. What i said about lerner wasn't half as bad as some of the abuse given out to others. I guess lerner did give us a scarf.
Many were disgusted actually. Nearly every time Mc[insert swear word] was said, people would respond, asking whether the personal insults were necessary. Either way, as people have told you before, two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Like 4

IMHO It is not as clear cut as you and others make out. Some plonker from another site, states categorically that we are being taken over by certain billionaires and is subsequently discredited, a number of newspapers put 2+2 together based on fan speculation, but have no other evidence and a ****fest begins. I will believe it when I see it. If I am wrong I am happy, but I remain very sceptical. I still think that it is possible that it isn't a "takeover" and that something else is in the offing.

I agree the 'ITK' on the other forum could have been talking BS, but the newspapers reporting the possible takeover were not the usual ones that print rumours every day, in an attempt to get something right. IIRC, it was the Telegraph and the Guardian (I think), who don't seem to report things without having heard something. The final indication (other than the incognito tweet) was Randy's statement. When he specifically addressed the takeover rumours, why wouldn't he deny them, if they were BS? People have said that it could have been an attempt to keep fan morale up, but I don't believe that. If he stays in the summer, he'll have even more critics for not being straight with fans. I think there are definitely changes coming. Whether that's a takeover, an investor or a partner, I think somethings happening.

To suggest that Twitter account is Faulkner or someone particularly high up at Villa is baffling to me.

If we were in the process of a takeover Faulkner would not be discussing it in public, even if he had been given absolute guarantees he was staying on.

At the end of the day I don't know and it could be a club employee but I seriously doubt it.

If it got the busy week of signings tweet right that doesn't mean anything. Tweeting once in a blue moon to appear more genuine doesn't mean anything either. I could have done this.

I don't think many think it's definitely Paul Faulkner, but it's almost certainly someone at the club. Someone who hears things from very high up. It got more than just a busy week of signing right, it has been spot on with a number of things. Lambert's appointment as manager being one. Also, unlike a lot of other 'twitter ITK's, he doesn't delete his posts when something doesn't come true. All the posts you see on his twitter feed, are all the ones he's posted, I believe.

Something will happen this summer. I can't believe the club will go in 14-15 with a stay away owner, a struggling manager and a limited budget again. Season tickets will plummet if that is the case, like we could be getting sub 30,000 if the status quo is not changed.

That account was specifically set up to feed out information to fans. They even say that if you read through the tweets. I followed that account when it was confirming details when Lambert came in and it's definitely sanctioned by the club.

Bloody hell Mike - what would a group of Junior Villans do with buying the club??? rather have someone older who's at least above Junior School standard or we're well and truly **** again next season!  ;)

Bit harsh.

I think that was nice.

Yes but Ellis was a condescending pratt - looked down on the fans as inconsequential - the man on the terrace!! The guy had an ego as big as Villa Park and spouted bullshit after bullshit and wanted the limelight - thought he WAS Aston Villa. Lerner may be many things but Ego - no - doesn't like the limelight unlike that clearing in the woods. Lener PAID MONEY INTO the club - Ellis on th eother hand took more out than he put in. Paid himself bonuses for failure (must have been a banker - yesy I did say banker) in a previous life - then again was more a rocket polisher in my opinion.

I think Ellis (just as Lerner in your eyes) deserved what he got - a guy that was on the board of Birmingham City BEFORE coming on the board of Aston Villa and professing to have saved the club - rather than be truthful and say that the real saviours were Pat Mathews and the other members of the consortium also.

• Like 1

I think credibility wise Lerner will wait until the end of the season to announce anything. We have Man City on Weds and the last thing we want/need is to announce we are being sold prior to this game. If we get battered by City, we will get Liverpool fans accusing us of not trying as the manager/players know that big changes are coming.

Â