The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Lerner and Faulkner doesn't seem to understand at all that you just can't suddenly cut all costs and spending in sports, it needs to be done gradually or the club will be in utter shit, like we are - especially in the situation we are.

I checked our transfers from couple last years and our net spending since MON walked has been 3-4 million. In the summer 2010 we sold Milner and bought Bent with his fee, sold Downing and Young and made about 40 million, bought players in with about 20 million and this summer we brought players in with about 20 million net, and now 1,5-2 million so Lerner haven't put really any of his money into transfers in 2,5 years.

IMO this speaks loudly that Lerner doesn't want to spend his own money into the team more than is absolutely necessary, and I hope he sells Villa to new buyer ASAP but I wouldn't trust him to sell anyone better...are there even any rich english people who knows football and would spend at least moderately to rebuild the team?

The fair play rules only apply to euro competition - and even then are thought to voilate 'ability to trade laws'. If your waiting for action against QPR for overspending, your going to be waiting a long time

So if we get relegated through being the only club abiding by the FFP regulations (How typical Villa is that) then when we lose out on a 70m windfall as a result due to other clubs blatantly flouting those rules at our expense & UEFA do what its highly likely they will do, "nothing whatsoever", apart from a few pathetic "Oooh there are a few naughty boys out there stop it else we'll tell you off & hurl a few harmless threats at you...(Now where's our backhander?!)" comments,  Will we as a result of the damage caused be able to put in a claim to them for damages? I mean surely if we lose out on 70m as a result of them telling us to do one thing & then not punishing those clubs who don't do it giving them an unfair advantage, it is only right that they compensate us right?

Do we still think the reason behind all the cost cutting is FFP?

Well probably not but even so the point still stands... If Uefa are going to dish this stuff out they are potentially putting some clubs at risk whilst allowing others to carry on regardless & not bringing them to book as a result... Surely that opens the door for compensation?

I don't think anyone does BJ. Think it's just necessary for the club at this moment in time, it does make sense to a degree when you see the players on the biggest money contributing the least.

Can only hope that the reason for it is that we're getting our wages to a certain level where we can start repaying the loans to Randy, so once that's all repaid, he sells the club.

If we knew that was the end goal I think a lot of us would accept the cost cutting more than we are now. I hope that is the reason. 

If we do, by some miracle, avoid relegation.. what are we to do next year? We've got rid of our 'experienced high earners' to a point where we have unproven talent from lower leagues / overseas and the 'youngsters' from our ranks.

We'll be in the same boat unless money is spent. Would Lerner allow that to happen in the summer or will we still be buying cheap for low wages and dogging it out at the bottom of the table?

Assuming we stay up:

Next years income will be around £100m/year (for at least next 3 years).

A well-run club will spend £60 mill on wages, £20m on transfer kitty and £20m on overheads each year.

From this summer, we'll have got our wages to below £60m, so we'll have an ongoing £20m every year to spend on transfers , plus wage capacity for those new signings.

the trick is then to build & maintain the best team possible on a wage limit of £60m and an annual transfer fund of £20m. 

which should easily be mid-table for a well-run team with good scouting, a good manager, and no players sitting around not playing on huge wages.

Assuming we stay up:

Next years income will be around £100m/year (for at least next 3 years).

A well-run club will spend £60 mill on wages, £20m on transfer kitty and £20m on overheads each year.

From this summer, we'll have got our wages to below £60m, so we'll have an ongoing £20m every year to spend on transfers , plus wage capacity for those new signings.

the trick is then to build & maintain the best team possible on a wage limit of £60m and an annual transfer fund of £20m. 

which should easily be mid-table for a well-run team with good scouting, a good manager, and no players sitting around not playing on huge wages.

With wages in or around £60mil it is hard to see how they would not drop even further if we did stay up, with Warnock and Dunne gone you probably talking about a saving of £7mil when you factor in bonuses, insurance etc. Went a Bent departure likely you're talking another £5mil. Factor in the money that would be saved with sales of N'Zogbia, Ireland, Makoun, Hutton Agbonlahor & Given and you're roughly talking £20m including the extras. Giving us a wage bill of roughly £30m when you factor in a new deal for Andy & Sylla etc. 

.... There are people who seem to have no problem being relegated.

To quote yourself in answer

There's not a single fan on here who has expressed this view so why do you keep posting this rubbish?

I suggest you read a few posts from certain posters more.

Surprised you haven't reappeared to tell us how much better off we still are.

What do you think of our January transfer window?

It really is irritating that the same batch of four or five posters come on here and post endless, endless bile at everyone only when Villa are in the shit and are hardly visible when times are better.

I suggest you read a few posts from certain posters more.

Help me out here - post a few quotes from these people.

Surprised you haven't reappeared to tell us how much better off we still are.

What I said was this

That's arguable to say the very least. We're in a worse position, presumably because of lower league position (at least in part) compared to our opponents....

In terms of "our" finances. The money Randy has put in of his own pocket, is his loss, not the clubs. The money borrowed from the RL trust fund is the Club's debt, and it's definitely much larger than under Ellis. However under Ellis while the debt was less, we were nevertheless totally skint and unable to get money to finish the training ground, we were running at a loss that no-one would fund.

Now we're running, or were running at a loss that Randy has funded (from his own pocket and from loans). So we have liquidity, where before we had none.

He's changed the policy to stop us running at a loss, as he's no longer able to keep funding perpetual losses from his pocket. But I'd argue that the club isn't actually worse now than it was under the last bloke. It's not much better, right now, but it has a even or better chance of getting back to being much better.

So again, take your own advice - stop posting rubbish.

What do you think of our January transfer window?

I think that it's made no difference. Like I've been saying, we'll go down. The weakness in the squad has been apparent for ages. The Club has not rectified it. The manager spent his 21 million budget in the summer. It's all gone.

Warnock and Hutton going is for the best. Two overpaid players, and no better than what we've been using. Lowton > Hutton. Warnock is as bad as Bennett (who will get better in time).

So if we get relegated through being the only club abiding by the FFP regulations (How typical Villa is that) then when we lose out on a 70m windfall as a result due to other clubs blatantly flouting those rules at our expense & UEFA do what its highly likely they will do, "nothing whatsoever", apart from a few pathetic "Oooh there are a few naughty boys out there stop it else we'll tell you off & hurl a few harmless threats at you...(Now where's our backhander?!)" comments,  Will we as a result of the damage caused be able to put in a claim to them for damages? I mean surely if we lose out on 70m as a result of them telling us to do one thing & then not punishing those clubs who don't do it giving them an unfair advantage, it is only right that they compensate us right?

There are no guidelines about how much you can spend to avoid relegation.

I wouldn't be personally that bothered. It's not like anyone dies. It'd be sad for people who might get made redundant, it would be a bad thing for the club and other people. it wouldn't affect me.

That right there sounds like someone who has no problem with relegation.

And you might want to read a few more posts from villaforever1970 because if he has a problem with being relegated he has a funny way of showing it towards posters who make it pretty clear they do.

That right there sounds like someone who has no problem with relegation.

And you might want to read a few more posts from villaforever1970 because if he has a problem with being relegated he has a funny way of showing it towards posters who make it pretty clear they do.

You really are becoming pretty tiresome now, even for you,

Â