The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Pretty sure we would be able to get rid of most of the high earners. Dunne and Warnock's contracts are up and I'm sure clubs would come in for Bent and N'Zogbia.

And if they didn't want to leave because of the drop in wages they'd have to take?

Teams have come in for zigic and his agent has clearly said he's going nowhere simply because of the money he is on.

Even if we were lucky enough to get rid of them all straight away its still no guarantee that this would help us come straight back up.

Relegation would be a disaster.

Pretty sure we would be able to get rid of most of the high earners. Dunne and Warnock's contracts are up and I'm sure clubs would come in for Bent and N'Zogbia.

So you accept that "high earners" are an issue and that their disposal is required because of financial "restrictions" on salaries?

So you accept that "high earners" are an issue and that their disposal is required because of financial "restrictions" on salaries?

I don't recall ever saying high earners weren't an issue, nor that there weren't restrictions are in place. What I did however is that nobody on here can really talk about the details of the restrictions.

And if they didn't want to leave because of the drop in wages they'd have to take?

Teams have come in for zigic and his agent has clearly said he's going nowhere simply because of the money he is on.

Even if we were lucky enough to get rid of them all straight away its still no guarantee that this would help us come straight back up.

Relegation would be a disaster.

You don't need to tell me relegation would be a disaster. I never said it wouldn't be. Edited by Mantis

Has the wage bill been mentioned by Lambert or anyone at the club at present? Or is just a fan thing?

Lambert has alluded to it in his recent interviews when tackled about the clubs transfer plans.. Also Hairy hands has posted stuff about it many pages back somewhere

(Roughly Guessing) If villa were to get relegated then promoted again would Randy be at a financial gain or loss? or would he be at a financial loss if he spends 20mil this transfer window and we stayed up?

*Bare in mind if we're relegated we'll be rid of the high wagers without relegation clauses in their contracts, that we dont want at the club* Then villa could have a fresh start under a manager who seems to know what his doing.

*Bare in mind if we stay up we'd get the TV money thing* and our clubs history wouldn't be **** with because of the owner.

No offence meant here mate but what makes you think we will be able to get rid of the high earners if we get relegated? We can't sell them now whilst they're Premier League players. Why would anyone want them if the help relegate us?

I personally believe that we will be much worse off if we get relegated. Lambert needs to find a way of getting these high earners into th team, if only to advertise them for the fire sale in the summer.

i've been looking at next seasons TV contract for the Premier League, and i've roughly calculated the TV money received next year will be around £25mill more than received this year. (for a team finishing 15th-17th).

So in effect, Randy could gamble an extra £25mill now in Jan transfer window, to make sure we stay in the Prem and get that extra £25mill back next season.

To say that Randy Lerner has not backed his managers (including Paul Lambert is just wrong, below is the net spend for every season since he's been our owner, and also the wages.

You can alslo see how these compare with other clubs in the premiership by looking at the rank columns.

28ssuau.jpg

So this season our net spend was the 6th Highest in the premiership, and we've moved backwards !

Information is from here http://tinyurl.com/d3uuuxf

Edited by dukes

To say that Randy Lerner has not backed his managers (including Paul Lambert is just wrong, below is the net spend for every season since he's been our owner, and also the wages.

You can alslo see how these compare with other clubs in the premiership by looking at the rank columns.

So this season our net spend was the 6th Highest in the premiership, and we've moved backwards !

Information is from here http://tinyurl.com/d3uuuxf

And him employing the wrong managers over the past 2 years has cost us £15m, which has been paid with the sale of our best players.

Much like me owning a shop, employing shit managers too often, sacking them and then selling off the brilliant stock for cheap. Then buying in goods of worse quality to save on money and losing out because of it.

This time last season under McLeish after 22 games we had 27 points and were sitting 11th. In the transfer window we spent nothing and got Robbie Keane on loan.

This time two seasons ago under Houllier after 22 games we had 22 points and were sitting 17th. In the transfer window we spent the best part of 30 mill on Bent and Makoun.

I am hoping that Lerner will again do what he did two years ago when we were deep in the mire and provide the relevant funds to get us out of it.

But if he had to fit the new signings into a new pay structure Lambert did what he could.

I have seen on here mention of wages being about 50 million so if the first team squad gets 80 percent of that then thats 40 million for 25 players. I am sure we can all do the maths on this

Sorry to say Lerner has not backed Lambert at all.He gave him a shoe string budget to work with.Signing players from Divisions below the Premier League and players not up to standard.Lost faith in Lerner long time ago were better off with a new owner.

• Like 1

I agree that Lambert probably hasn't got the ability to offer wages of £45k-£60k+ for new players. I would've thought teams such as West Brom, Swansea, Stoke and Norwich have a similar structure, and they're all comfortably above us. Yeah, they'll have some players that break the structure (like we do with Dunne, Bent, Ireland, possibly Given and N'Zogbia) but they won't be paying huge money for the majority of their players. It's just a case that these clubs have bought their players more wisely.

Sorry to say Lerner has not backed Lambert at all.He gave him a shoe string budget to work with.Signing players from Divisions below the Premier League and players not up to standard.Lost faith in Lerner long time ago were better off with a new owner.

Randy has given Lambert £20m to spend, which is over 20% of our annual turnover. Thats in just one transfer window, we have yet to see if there is anymore in Jan.

but £20mill is definitely backing the manager.

As shown a few posts above, we were the 6th highest net spender in the summer.

Randy has given Lambert £20m to spend, which is over 20% of our annual turnover. Thats in just one transfer window, we have yet to see if there is anymore in Jan.

but £20mill is definitely backing the manager.

As shown a few posts above, we were the 6th highest net spender in the summer.

Agreed. Unfortunately Lambert wasted money on 2 fullbacks that weren't needed, and El Ahmadi.

There is no plan...lets take Warnock

Under Houllier he was bombed out

Mcliesh game in and was supposed to smooth things over with the players Houllier pissed off Warnock back in team

Lambert comes in and its back to Warnock being bombed out

I'm not saying he should be in the team now just seems they change mind with every bloody manager !!

Dont agree with that. 20 million gets you nothing these days and we all knew we had to rebuild our squad.Our high wage bill has nothing to do with Lambert it's the previous managers and our admin who allowed it.People are whingeing about 2 fullbacks and El Ahmadi.Do people realise maybe they were the only players Lambert could afford.

There is no plan...lets take Warnock

Under Houllier he was bombed out

Mcliesh game in and was supposed to smooth things over with the players Houllier pissed off Warnock back in team

Lambert comes in and its back to Warnock being bombed out

I'm not saying he should be in the team now just seems they change mind with every bloody manager !!

I'm not saying Warnock is good (because I don't think he is), but we've kept hold of Warnock (so probably still paying him £40k a week) and signed another LB in Bennett for £3m who I think is a worse player.

Â