The Randy Lerner thread

CI

It would have been incredibly unseemly and tacky for Randy to sack McLeish straight after securing our survival. Rightly or wrongly it would have shown Randy to be a disloyal and reactionary employer - not a great look if he is going to be trying to convince a new manager to work for him in the near future.

At the very least, from Randy's point of view, McLeish deserves some loyalty because he has worked within the very restrictive parameters set down for him that and he has done so under considerable provocation from the fans and considerable poor fortune in terms of injuries to key players, but he has not really complained and he has not tried to deflect blame for the situation from himself onto Randy.

So while McLeish may well be informed that his services are no longer required at some point I suspect that Randy is seeking to make that happen in a dignified and sympathetic manner, rather than simply stabbing him in the back and dumping his carcass into the arena for the hungry lions to devour.

I agree, Randy is a believer in behaving correctly. I'm positive AM/PG will be told that their services are no longer required after May 14th.

Randy/Faulkner have a business to market for the 2012/13 season and it can't be done with our current manager and coach still running the asylum.

A return to sanity is essential.

Agree, the sponsors will be watching the situation carefully

They won't want to be associated potentially with the next Blackburn rovers

Agree, the sponsors will be watching the situation carefully

They won't want to be associated potentially with the next Blackburn rovers

I really hope RL does not let all the Villa fans down, and insist with keeping this guy in charge.. He is clueless.

I don't think that Randy is clueless, I just think that he now fully understands that he made a huge mistake in employing AM.

The protests, hate and vitriolic complaints will continue as long as AM is in charge at Villa. Randy must know that, and I'm sure he will act to protect his financial interests.

I think that if the club really did put the story out that McLeish wasn't assure of being here next season only because they wanted to stem the protests at the Spurs game...then that would probably mean they had already made up their minds not to sack him regardless. So the protests wouldn't have made a difference in that scenario anyway.

(Not that I'm sure that was the case myself.)

It would have been incredibly unseemly and tacky for Randy to sack McLeish straight after securing our survival. Rightly or wrongly it would have shown Randy to be a disloyal and reactionary employer - not a great look if he is going to be trying to convince a new manager to work for him in the near future.

Sorry but football is a disloyal and reactionary business. Ruthless at times and this is one of the things people say Lerner needs to improveon. Any football manager would not be bothered by that, more by what the goals for the club are, what the resources available are, can we achieve what we want and what they want, more than how we disposed of the current mistake

At the very least, from Randy's point of view, McLeish deserves some loyalty because he has worked within the very restrictive parameters set down for him that and he has done so under considerable provocation from the fans and considerable poor fortune in terms of injuries to key players, but he has not really complained and he has not tried to deflect blame for the situation from himself onto Randy.

Restrictive parameters that meant he still spent the best part of 20M, had a 24M striker for more than half the season and numerous other internationals in the team ? Provocation from the fans which has only really come in the last few weeks at matches, injuries which is anon existent excuse and in terms of him complaining have you missed his pre and post match comments ? Sure he has not deflected to his boss as he is keen to keep his job. How long would his career here have been if he had started saying "it's all Lerners fault" ? Besides which there is hardly a chance for him to deflect to Lerner as he has been busy delfecting to the players, the fans, luck, god and injuries anyway, not much room there for Lerner.

So while McLeish may well be informed that his services are no longer required at some point I suspect that Randy is seeking to make that happen in a dignified and sympathetic manner, rather than simply stabbing him in the back and dumping his carcass into the arena for the hungry lions to devour.

How very emotive. You're fired is a fairly straightforward phrase that comes with it the finality of knowing you have failed. How dignified is it to prolong that activity ? How business like is it to not act quickly and clinically? I would think it does Lerners already damaged reputation no favours at all to prevaricate.

Agreed, not really sure where some of these sob stories for McLeish are coming from. He agreed to work under these contraints and the message from Lerner/Faulkner was that we should aim for Europe, which we have failed to do massively.

Surely RL would not have appointed McLeish and said "don't worry about our style of football, where we finish or attendances this season as we need to get the wage bill down." No chance and if he did he shouldn't be allowed to own a business of any sort.

Surely RL would not have appointed McLeish and said "don't worry about our style of football, where we finish or attendances this season as we need to get the wage bill down." No chance and if he did he shouldn't be allowed to own a business of any sort.

Personally I think that's exactly what they said to him and told the media something else (top 6 or w/e faulkner said).

Some of the best footballing decisions made in the last few years have seemed rash, unfair and reactionary at the time. Sacking Di Matteo, Villas Boas & Hughton all seemed a bit stupid, but sometimes the owner of a football club needs to grow a pair and make a decision that's going to benefit the footballing club in the long term.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no faith in Lerner to sack Mcleish or hire a decent replacement.

If Lerner doesnt get rid of the clown this summer the banners & chants will soon go from McLeish Out to Lerner Out.

Bad, bad times ahead.

If Mcleish stays.

All protests, all anger, all negative chanting should be aimed at one man. Our owner Randy Lerner.

The bloke is a joke and is causing this club serious long term damage.

I agree but any protesters must make sure that:

1) They don't upset the players (poor little lambs);

2) They 'Support the Lads' (because obviously we would have gone down this season if it hadn't been the case); and

3) They don't make Villa look 'Smalltime' (whatever the **** that means).

If Mcleish stays.

All protests, all anger, all negative chanting should be aimed at one man. Our owner Randy Lerner.

2) They 'Support the Lads' (because obviously we would have gone down this season if it hadn't been the case); and

Numbering arguments is smalltime

If Mcleish stays.

Is that what it means. Thanks.

However, I don't know how you managed to conclude that my posting was an argument as it was not a contrary posting to the posting it replied to.

Perhaps not knowing what an argument is could also be considered smalltime.

There you go, another definition. We are doing well.

if RL gets rid of eck shortly, all of the shite of the past season (plus virtually the last of the MON contracts) will go with him. only dunne, warnock, collins (off the top of my head) will remain, and they will only have a year left, which will be useful as the incumbent wise heads, while a new squad of young players, the few elite players we have, and those that we buy in during the summer, start to gel...

appointing someone like martinez, and giving him say 30m (not that much more than he gave eck last summer) to start rebuilding will bring with it, a far more positive attitude from the fans, who will be far more likely to give the process (at least some of) the time that it needs to be a success...

maybe, just maybe, he's smarter than any of us have given him credit for...

If Mcleish stays.

:lol:

If Mcleish stays.

Protesting is 'Small Time' because only fans of tinpot little clubs would protest against something they're not happy with? For example Manure fans protesting against the Glazers, tin pot going nowhere little club!!

Â