The Randy Lerner thread

CI

...Think Randy needs to take a look at Newcastle Utd for a bit of inspiration.

They were way behind us in recent past seasons, every decision they made seemed poor...The London set were totally unpopular and seemingly interfering in everything football their messiah Keegan couldn't produce and it was a mess.

What pulled them through was a decent manager and a scouting system.

Players coming in were turning in to little gems and as the knock on effect kicks in the whole team are on the up.

I'm not close to what happens at Newcastle, but I'll bet Mike Ashley is not the "Public Enemy no 1" that he was....and I'll bet his investment looks a bit more rosier.

Good Manager, good scouting system..... That what will get the "phoenix rising from the ashes"

Randy will get his money back when he makes the crucially important decision

I've been one of Randy's biggest supporters, but he'll have lost me if he doesn't dispose of Alex McLeish.

Same for me.

I don't hate Lerner as he did all I ask of an owner for his first 4 years here, e.g. back the manager in the transfer market, goodwill with the fans etc.

However since the day MON walked out the decisions have been a complete disaster.

The sad thing is he must sack McLeish in the summer but I don't have much faith he'll come up with a superior alternative.

Randy is already taking his money back, he has been for the best part of 3 years now.

He put twenty million more in last year didn't he?

I'm not aware of any money he's taken back. There are some slightly dubious consultancy fees but they don't come near to balancing the money he's still putting in.

Have I missed something?

Randy I bloody well hope your planning the departure of Alex McLeish already, if not, I bloody well hope you have are opening your cheque book to bring in quality players, and a few of them!

Randy I bloody well hope your planning the departure of Alex McLeish already, if not, I bloody well hope you have are opening your cheque book to bring in quality players, and a few of them!
I'd rather he sack McLeish and give the new manager £15m than keep McLeish and give him £150m (not that he can afford that).

McLeish must go, it really doesn't matter who he has playing for him.

He won't be sacked with 8 games to go. Should we stay up he won't be sacked in the summer either as he's already signed Holman. Should we be relegated I can't see him being sacked. January is the earliest possibility for me if we have a disastrous start to the season (only 9 months of anti-football to endure :|). Summer 2013 is the most likely scenario IMO, it's all so bleak.

Is it time to ask what's happened to him again? The silence is deafening.

The only change in terms of Mr Lerner's visibility is that he doesn't attend too many games.

He employs a team manager and a chief executive to run the business, and he visits regularly, presumably to provide his input and discuss strategy (I know, what strategy?!)

So I don't really get the absentee owner thing. There are plenty of absentee owners in the Premiership, and i am sure that if Mr Lerner hired Mourinho tomorrow and gave him £300m to spend, people wouldn't care if Randy Lerner never came to Villa Park again.

He won't be sacked with 8 games to go. Should we stay up he won't be sacked in the summer either as he's already signed Holman

that means nothing

we wouldnt be the first club to sign a player on a pre-contract bosman and change manager

Anyone else resorted to watching old youtube clips from 2008 and 2009 as a reminder of when we had a good team? Some of the passing in the 08-09 season was Barcelona esque. How can it get so bad in only in 2 years.

Anyone else resorted to watching old youtube clips from 2008 and 2009 as a reminder of when we had a good team? Some of the passing in the 08-09 season was Barcelona esque. How can it get so bad in only in 2 years.

jesus. this is what happens when you look back with the claret tints on. our passing has never been close to barca-esque, because our movement has been non-existant for the last 10 years

The only change in terms of Mr Lerner's visibility is that he doesn't attend too many games.

He employs a team manager and a chief executive to run the business, and he visits regularly, presumably to provide his input and discuss strategy (I know, what strategy?!)

So I don't really get the absentee owner thing. There are plenty of absentee owners in the Premiership, and i am sure that if Mr Lerner hired Mourinho tomorrow and gave him £300m to spend, people wouldn't care if Randy Lerner never came to Villa Park again.

As a matter of interest, why do you call him "Mr Lerner"? It sounds a bit too deferential to me, for a bloke who is basically nothing more than a simpleton who inherited a stack of cash.

jesus. this is what happens when you look back with the claret tints on. our passing has never been close to barca-esque, because our movement has been non-existant for the last 10 years

:lol: Relax I think the relegation battle is getting to a few people.

The passing at times was incredible, Barcelona esque was tongue in cheek, but it was superb.

You must admit for the first half of 08-09 the passing was impressive.

He won't be sacked with 8 games to go. Should we stay up he won't be sacked in the summer either as he's already signed Holman

that means nothing

we wouldnt be the first club to sign a player on a pre-contract bosman and change manager

Skint clubs who are haemorrhaging money don't sign players and then ditch the manager.

As a matter of interest, why do you call him "Mr Lerner"? It sounds a bit too deferential to me, for a bloke who is basically nothing more than a simpleton who inherited a stack of cash.

I don't know him in any sense, so I guess that's why.

He inherited a stack of cash, but I don't think that is his fault.

As for whether he is a simpleton, i don't know, but i doubt

Great post Harry.

Still can't believe how bad Lerner has been and how quickly it went downhill.

The truth was it was flawed from day one, we just did not realise until much later. I was a supporter of Lerner up until this season when all his crappy calls came home to roost and it dawned on me, perhaps later than some, how bad an owner he really is.

I'm just astounded that there is, seemingly, still a body of fans out there who don't think he is the problem. McLeish is a huge problem but the cause of that particular problem is Lerner.

I'm just astounded that there is, seemingly, still a body of fans out there who don't think he is the problem

Agreed, i find it truly amazing that some fans will put the blame on MON, faulkner and mcleish.

Look at the browns, do those 3 have anything to do with them?

The man is just not good at this. I think he has good intentions, he seems like a nice guy but he is clearly not good at running a sports team.

He has to sell up to someone better. It doesn't have to be an oil billionnaire, someone with a decent amount of money, a clear plan and someone who can make the right decisions at the right time.

Â