The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I am talking about Ellis vs Lerner.

sorry, my apologies.

yes, except one does follow us and at 92 .... well.

Edited by TRO

Sadly, I don't think there is anything resembling a plan.....I don't think anyone knows what to do, certainly in the short term.

I think they are all waiting for something/somebody to arrive and kick start it all off.

Devine intervention, probably

• Like 1

sorry, my apologies.

yes, except one does follow us and at 92 .... well.

True. I believe part of the reason to be that he's making good on his promise to be carried out of Villa Park in a box. Fair play to him on that score, he always was committed to his own cause.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sadly, I don't think there is anything resembling a plan.....I don't think anyone knows what to do, certainly in the short term.

I think they are all waiting for something/somebody to arrive and kick start it all off.

Devine intervention, probably

This. 

He's out of ideas and going through the motions. It's not leadership: it's just existence and a pretty crappy one at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

You are fielding a few arguments so I'll keep my response short ;)

My simple response to the idea that it is in Lerner's interest to at least give it a try is to point you to the last few years - it was in his interest to keep us in the Premier League, but in all likelihood he hasn't done that either. He simply hasn't invested in transfers and, more importantly, wages when it has become clear we were struggling year on year.

I kind of agree that spending now is slightly pointless, as much as I as a fan would like it, but it's just wasting cash now. But he had an opportunity to invest in summer in 'his interest' and he didn't do it.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong but history points unfavourably to a return to even moderate investment.

I think the reason why there has been so little investment from Lerner is because he believed that we'd be able to keep treading water by not spending much. Going down to the Championship is new and I think he'll realise that we'll at least have to spend a bit to overhaul this squad of losers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

True. I believe part of the reason to be that he's making good on his promise to be carried out of Villa Park in a box. Fair play to him on that score, he always was committed to his own cause.

his narcissism was always his worst feature....but with every hated person, there is always some redeeming feature that gets overlooked due to no one having the time or inclination to look for it.

or the bottle to mention it.

I went on marches to get him out, but with events since and his ever presence at games home and away oh and my mellowing nature due to old father time.

My dislike of him has diluted.....until I remember being duped with my shares and then I'm back to normal.lol

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think this moron realises how much more money he is going to lose when we are relegated and can't get promoted. It would have been more beneficial for him to spend abit of money.

Terrible businessman 

Trust fund baby who has never, ever, made a success of something on his own, utter, utter clown, it's no surprise we're ending up like his other failed ventures. word removed.

• Like 2

Yep unfortunately so he has ruined two sides now the browns and now us.  Typically they were called the browns as we are in the middle of the brown stuff as well.

Next home game we should all wave white flags with Lerner and Foxs face on it, show them what we think of their pathetic running of the club

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think this moron realises how much more money he is going to lose when we are relegated and can't get promoted. It would have been more beneficial for him to spend abit of money.

Terrible businessman 

They think it's a case of tearing us down to rebuild.

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

They think it's a case of tearing us down to rebuild.

There is only so many times you can tear something down until its un-buildable again. The clown is making the same mistakes over and over again, appointing Hollis for example again another guy with no football experience, in fact he has less than Fox. Gee what  a masterstroke how is that going to turn out? :angry:

You buy a brush.  The handle breaks so you replace it.  Then a few months later the broom head wears down so then you replace that too.  After a few more months the handle breaks again and you replace it

Is it the same brush you originally bought?

(I don't think this is neccessarily happening however to give myself some hope) I wonder if Fox/Hollis are thinking -  We've got a certain amount of money to play with and we can either spend it now to try and avoid relegation or we can spend it in the summer and build for a challenge next season? PERHAPS the thinking is that we can only afford to gamble once.

Personally, IF IT WAS either / or then my vote would be to invest in the summer. Get rid of a few mercenaries and let Garde bring in some of his own guys. I'd love two or three now but they do give you the impression that finding players now and bringing them in is a little like trying to change a car tyre as you are tanking along the hard shoulder.

If we can only spend once avoiding relegation is currently a 33/1 shot whilst coming back next season will be much shorter (if investment is forthcoming)

I think what Garde does next will give us the best clue - if he stays and seems (reasonably) content, then I have a little confidence that we will invest in the summer.  If he seems unhappy or heaven forbid leaves before the end of the season then "abandon all hope".........

Not saying this is whats happening but just a thought

On some of the other discussions....I don't buy into the asset stripping theory nor beleive that Lerner will be happy for us to be in the Championship. His dream is to be a lower mid prem team ticking over a reasonable profit, eating into his losses until he can sell

I also don't see us dropping down the divisions anytime soon however I can easily foresee a future where in the scramble to get back we get lost in the pack and end up mid-table as our parachute payments run out and sit in the Championship for a while

Â