The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Nah just constant moaning. Or statements not backed up with any substance. Lerner has been awful for the club in so many ways. He has also done great good (just not enough of in my opinion) 

Having met the man and spent a game in his company I know (back then at least) he obviously did love us (maybe not so much now). 

Intelligent criticism I have no problem with. He deserves a faur wedge of that. We are all entitled to our own views. But because of that, then those views are allowed to be challenged and called out in a respectful manner. 

I hope he sells us ASAP that doesn't mean he should just give us away to anyone who comes knocking. 

If he wants to give his son work experience (as in my view that's all it would be) in a business he has invested a fair whack of his inheritance in, so be it. 

He has admitted his failings, unlike Doug ever did/has. He has tried to stay true to our heritage (Holte pub, exec areas, Holte mosaic etc,) but that's not enough to protect himself from criticism.  He has also been shocking with most of his appointments and the lack of commercial nous is unforgivable epecially when also owning the Cleveland Browns. 

But yeah let's call him a sha fan shall we. And let's not pick people up on it. 

Im passionate about this club as we all are, just hate the constant negativity especially at games. Doesn't help and like it or not it's a factor in our performances over the last 3 seasons or so at home. Heard from the horses mouth that some players prefer away games for that reason. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

I can't believe people are taking this as gospel (believe that this is certainly true). Even the report itself states that it's just a rumor.

18 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I don't believe gospel's are true.

'Taking this as gospel' is an idiom, and my sentence in the brackets explained it's meaning. I wasn't stating a personal opinion that gospel's are true.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

'Taking this as gospel' is an idiom, and my sentence in the brackets explained it's meaning. I wasn't stating a personal opinion that gospel's are true.

I don't think he was inferring that. It was just a humorous observation.

• Like 2

I will be very suprised if Lerner's 18 year old son comes over for any substantial time. Why would he choose to come to Birmingham, away from his friends when he could go to university or some sunny tourist spot somewhere and have the time of his life. Maybe in four or five years he will join one of his dads companies.

51 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is one of my bugbears. Whether it be fans or players saying it. It's a feeble minded cop out. There are, at every single game and ground some miserable, bitter, negative, moaning, pain in the arse, grumbling,  tedious f-wits. But that's enough about me. No, there are, it's a fact, always will be, get on with it. The rest of the crowd, though, are either predisposed to be positive, or just fair minded. People go to football for many reasons, but most go to see ( they hope) their team win a good game. If the players put in a shift, play positive football and try, for the fans and for the shirt the crowd always responds positively.

Players, if there are any, who would rather play away from home have either a mental weakness, are playing so badly anyway that they get a lot of stick, or are players who don't want to be at the club.

Even now,even after 5 years of rubbish home performances, it take very little to get the crowd right behind the team. Just try and just don't be rubbish.

Don't blame the fans. Look at the cause.

Fair points! Just don't think it helps personally especially at the moment when confidence hasn't been great. 

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Fair points! Just don't think it helps personally especially at the moment when confidence hasn't been great. 

No, it doesn't help - although you could argue that the earful they got at Wycombe maybe had a bit of an effect. But I agree, generally, clearly, a positive supportive environment is helpful and a negative one is unhelpful. I just think that as we all know that - players, fans and manager etc. the real onus is on the people being paid to perform, rather than those doing the paying to see them perform.

In all walks of life there are people who don't have sunny dispositions, to say the least, but by and large most people are only too happy to be happy. People want the players to succeed and do well. The best example I can think of is when that ginger man was made manager, despite the entire fanbase thinking it was a massive mistake. First game of the season, despite all our misgivings, against Blackburn I think it was, he was applauded along the touchline and the support was there. That he subsequently lost it was not because of the fans, it was because of his negative tactics and bizarre selections and all the rest.

Even now, I think most fans would say he's a decent bloke, but was he was never the right choice to manage the club. I also don't think I heard him complain about the supporters either. He knew he was being well paid to do a job and that he couldn't get the results of performances that were necessary. So like with the general point, it's not the fans that were the problem. Once you (anyone) goes down that road, you've lost.

Recently we had Klopp expressing surprise and disappointment that half the crowd at Anfield left the ground because they were losing to Palace (or whoever it was). He also had the brains to say and recognise that it is his job to make their team good enough so that the fans don't all eff off because their team is playing poorly for the umpteenth time and they had no hope or belief their team would score.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blandy said:

No, it doesn't help - although you could argue that the earful they got at Wycombe maybe had a bit of an effect. But I agree, generally, clearly, a positive supportive environment is helpful and a negative one is unhelpful. I just think that as we all know that - players, fans and manager etc. the real onus is on the people being paid to perform, rather than those doing the paying to see them perform.

In all walks of life there are people who don't have sunny dispositions, to say the least, but by and large most people are only too happy to be happy. People want the players to succeed and do well. The best example I can think of is when that ginger man was made manager, despite the entire fanbase thinking it was a massive mistake. First game of the season, despite all our misgivings, against Blackburn I think it was, he was applauded along the touchline and the support was there. That he subsequently lost it was not because of the fans, it was because of his negative tactics and bizarre selections and all the rest.

Even now, I think most fans would say he's a decent bloke, but was he was never the right choice to manage the club. I also don't think I heard him complain about the supporters either. He knew he was being well paid to do a job and that he couldn't get the results of performances that were necessary. So like with the general point, it's not the fans that were the problem. Once you (anyone) goes down that road, you've lost.

Recently we had Klopp expressing surprise and disappointment that half the crowd at Anfield left the ground because they were losing to Palace (or whoever it was). He also had the brains to say and recognise that it is his job to make their team good enough so that the fans don't all eff off because their team is playing poorly for the umpteenth time and they had no hope or belief their team would score.

Pete....you are so right about McLeish and Ironically he speaks well of the club and loved his time here.....someone I know has spoken to him in depth....He never regrets his time with us.

perhaps we don't feel the same, but there you go.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is there any evidence that this son on the board thing is anything but bullshit?

Perhaps he has been watching "Harry Selfridge "at work.

On 1/24/2016 at 11:19, blandy said:

Even now,even after 5 years of rubbish home performances, it take very little to get the crowd right behind the team. Just try and just don't be rubbish.

Don't blame the fans. Look at the cause.

exactly look at leicester game it was improved perfomance and fans were right behind the team

On 24. Januar 2016 at 12:32, Rds1983 said:

I will be very suprised if Lerner's 18 year old son comes over for any substantial time. Why would he choose to come to Birmingham, away from his friends when he could go to university or some sunny tourist spot somewhere and have the time of his life. Maybe in four or five years he will join one of his dads companies.

Maybe RL has already "done the maths" and decided on Max's inheritance amount.

£300mill

"Hey son, there's your inheritance. It's called AVFC. Go prove yourself"

Happy Birthday Son

All my Love

Daddy (Randy)

Former Aston Villa assistant boss Peter Grant believes relegation would be disastrous for the Premier League club.

New chairman Steven Hollis has said the club do not fear the drop and will come back "on a stronger footing" if they find themselves in the Championship next season.

But Grant, who followed Alex McLeish from Birmingham to their West Midlands rivals in June 2011, disagrees.

"It would be a nightmare for a club of Villa's stature," he told BBC WM 95.6.

"There are 18 or 19 clubs in the Championship who have been in the Premier League and it is not as easy to automatically come straight back up.

"In one respect you have a chance to rebuild, but there is a different pressure to the Championship. Fans will expect you to win every match and it is not a simple as that."

Since Martin O'Neill resigned as boss before the start of the 2010-11 season Villa have had five managers, with current head coach Remi Garde appointed in November.

Budget cuts saw a number of senior players including James Milner, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing leave the club, with subsequent sides built around younger players.

They are six points adrift at the bottom of the table and Grant believes the fans are "delusional" if they expect the current team to be a force in the top-flight.

"They have changed [managers] too often, too quickly with the amount of young players they have," he said.

"When I talk about the fans being delusional, you've got to accept where you are at this moment in time and give somebody the confidence to build instead of being critical.

"Even if it takes you 18 months to two years you have to give that manager an opportunity to try and get a structure, a way of playing and find a winning formula."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35409510

also thinks our fans are delusional

Â