The Randy Lerner thread

CI

His comeback involves him promising to stay away from the club. Shows how bad he is when our best window under him comes after that promise.

I'll save my praise for sherwood, Reilly, Fox and the others actually working hard to improve the mess Lerner put us in this summer.

lol

Four years of austerity has got us to where we are now. If's not been pretty, and it hasn't satisfied the arbitrary transfer needs of fans who are always looking for their next hit, but it's been a case of needs must. I'm not necessarily praising Randy. More like a tip of the hat and an acknowledgement that 'Him and I - we're cool'.

• Like 1

I think there may be something going on behind the scenes just a feeling

I have a similar feeling just based on the money we seem to have..

I mean at first we were spending the Delph/Benteke money and I assumed once that was gone we'd have maybe £10 million of our own to spend, but we seem to be getting Traore for £7 million, Fonte for what will likely be more than that, linked with Keita from Lazio who will be another £6-£10 million purchase no doubt. 

Now we know that when Ellis sold to Lerner he wanted a big transfer kitty for our first Summer under ownership of a billionaire. Maybe the new buyer is so close to buying that we've had a cash injection early because they know the deal will be finalised too late to make a splash this window. I don't know.. Something just doesn't feel right, I know our books are somewhat managed right now and everything is looking good but we are looking likely to spend close to £60-£70 million and we only got £40 million from Delph/Benteke.. 

His comeback involves him promising to stay away from the club. Shows how bad he is when our best window under him comes after that promise.

I'll save my praise for sherwood, Reilly, Fox and the others actually working hard to improve the mess Lerner put us in this summer.

lol

Sorry but what mess THIS summer? Surely you can't blame Lerner for Benteke Going or Snake doing a slithering act? They were goners (at Least CB was) but at least Lerner didn't take the money from sales and keep it - which is what many who hate him alluded to.

Four years of austerity has got us to where we are now. If's not been pretty, and it hasn't satisfied the arbitrary transfer needs of fans who are always looking for their next hit, but it's been a case of needs must. I'm not necessarily praising Randy. More like a tip of the hat and an acknowledgement that 'Him and I - we're cool'.

It was necessary to hire McLeish? To give nzogbia and given long term big money contracts? Necessary to hire houllier?

lol

Sorry but what mess THIS summer? Surely you can't blame Lerner for Benteke Going or Snake doing a slithering act? They were goners (at Least CB was) but at least Lerner didn't take the money from sales and keep it - which is what many who hate him alluded to.

Should have put a comma in. There is no mess this summer. It's been brilliant and I'll praise the people who have done it, not the useless owner who has backed away.

To be fair he has a point, as much as Lerner has annoyed me over the last few years, he could have refused to reinvest the money back and then we could ahve been relegated.

Cant fault Lerner for not backing Sherwood (if it is Lerner and we are not backed by new owners in secret)

Spending money the club generates is the least we should expect from the owner, especially after how badly he's run the club. We may as well praise players for turning up to training and praise kit men for folding shirts nicely.

• Like 1

Where did the money originate from initally? Did we find Delph and Benteke in the club shop car park!?

He could have pocketed the money, which is what people said he would do; he could have only sanctioned a portion of it; he could have instructed that it gets used to be spent on wages or a plethora of other things, but he didn't - the money has been pumped straight back in. So, whilst I won't praise him, like I said, I've got no issues whatsoever with Randy Lerner.

I agree that certain decisions have been silly, but we're not the only club who've made bad managerial decisions or given big contracts to the wrong players. It was broke, it got fixed and that's all I asked.

• Like 1

Don't disagree with any of that. I've got no issue with Lerner staying as owner because Tom and Henrik are running the show now. But I'm not going to praise him for doing the minimum requirement this summer.

Far more people at the club worthy of praise for changing this squad so much in such a short space of time.

Yup, absolutely no credit goes to Lerner from me for spending money which we've made from player sales. It's the least I expect from an owner. 

Garbage.

Most people "anti-Lerner" keep banging on about him "lining his pockets" and how he does nothing to progress the club in terms of transfer activity.  We have an active summer window (spending above and beyond player sales, may I add) and he gets no credit at all?

He got the club in a mess due to mis-ownership in the early days (which we loved, 6th places, blah blah) and has since had to correct the situation.  He might still want out of the club, but is footing a bill to get us back up the table instead of keeping everything tight and fighting relegation off again.

He isn't the saviour, but to claim he has "no credit" for this window is utter nonsense and is all too indicative of the spoilt-brat behaviour of modern day football fans to be honest.

• Like 1

Yup, absolutely no credit goes to Lerner from me for spending money which we've made from player sales. It's the least I expect from an owner. 

Garbage.

Most people "anti-Lerner" keep banging on about him "lining his pockets" and how he does nothing to progress the club in terms of transfer activity.  We have an active summer window (spending above and beyond player sales, may I add) and he gets no credit at all?

He got the club in a mess due to mis-ownership in the early days (which we loved, 6th places, blah blah) and has since had to correct the situation.  He might still want out of the club, but is footing a bill to get us back up the table instead of keeping everything tight and fighting relegation off again.

He isn't the saviour, but to claim he has "no credit" for this window is utter nonsense and is all too indicative of the spoilt-brat behaviour of modern day football fans to be honest.

Anyone with half a brain cell will know that Randy hasn't been "lining his pockets" over the past few years. 

Wait, "but is footing a bill to get us back up the table"..... no he's not. He's spending the money AVFC as a business has generated. 

Why, as a business should AVFC not spend the money it generates? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Â