The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Is this the year the villa fans turn on randy Lerner?

I turned about 5 years ago, the guy is incompetent.

just after mons second season for me

That would be summer 2008 then. That summer and 2009 Randy Lerner was still righting cheques of 40m for MON to buy new defences each summer so I don't buy that timescale

Thats the timescale

So hang on instead of being satisified that MON was being annually given a 40m budget to spend on bog standard british defences for a whole new back 4 each summer, you wanted more spent on it?! We'd probably be in administration now if MON was given 80m to build a defence.

Don't forget other areas of the team were also being strengthened during that period aswell, Sidwell (5m) and Milner 12m and the following summer Downing for 12m so 30m spent on three midfield players over 12 months.

You can criticise Lerner for so many things from summer 2010 but I really don't know how anyone can criticise him for the levels of spending before, MON was being given an incredible budget for a non-champions league club imo and we only sold Barry as a key player during that period.

Where is this 40 mill a summer figure coming from? O'Neill had around a 70 - 80 mill net spend in 4 seasons depending on what figures you believe. Much less if you include the sale of Milner a few days after he left. That is around 20 mill a season. In the three seasons we finished sixth we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill. For me that level of spend both in wages and net spend on transfers should never have meant that we should expect to have finished in the top 4. If that was what Randy gambled on and based his whole strategy around, which I think he did, then he was clearly foolish to.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Summer 2008....

Davies full time (10M)

Cuellar (8m)

L. Young and Shorey signed same day, around 10 combined.

Friedel who I forgot was signed for about 3m aswell.

So 30m and that defence collapsed as soon as Laursen got injured in January.

Milner and Sidwell were also signed that summer for 17m combined. Who did we sell that summer? I'm fairly confident we have a net figure of 40m for summer 2008.

I'm pretty sure that year a few of the press were saying we were the 4th highest net spenders in Europe or something.

Summer 2009, yes you're right Barry left but again with the defence we have mass rebuild just a year on, Beye, Dunne, Collins and Warnock for 20m. To me it's a lot to sign a year on when you've already spent a significant amount and could've been directed at say getting a Darren Bent in.

That would be summer 2008 then. That summer and 2009 Randy Lerner was still righting cheques of 40m for MON to buy new defences each summer so I don't buy that timescale

Thats the timescale

So hang on instead of being satisified that MON was being annually given a 40m budget to spend on bog standard british defences for a whole new back 4 each summer, you wanted more spent on it?! We'd probably be in administration now if MON was given 80m to build a defence.

Don't forget other areas of the team were also being strengthened during that period aswell, Sidwell (5m) and Milner 12m and the following summer Downing for 12m so 30m spent on three midfield players over 12 months.

You can criticise Lerner for so many things from summer 2010 but I really don't know how anyone can criticise him for the levels of spending before, MON was being given an incredible budget for a non-champions league club imo and we only sold Barry as a key player during that period.

He didn't criticise him for the level of spending in 2010, you are jumping to an incorrect conclusion. I believe Richard's criticism at the time was him directed at Lerner allowing O'Neill to be the one to spend the money.

Ah right apologies if that is the case. I was under the impression that Richard was pro MON.

Thats the timescale

He didn't criticise him for the level of spending in 2010, you are jumping to an incorrect conclusion. I believe Richard's criticism at the time was him directed at Lerner allowing O'Neill to be the one to spend the money.

Ah right apologies if that is the case. I was under the impression that Richard was pro MON.

Can you imagine the scenario if Lerner had of curtailed O'Neills spending much earlier in a Doug Ellis style of control.

Martin would not have given us 4 seasons..... He was just like his mentor Brian Clough in as much as he wanted complete control, to the point that he arguably seen off 2 CEO'S

It is easy to say now that Lerner should have had more control over O'Neill......hindsight is an exact science.

I can just see the headlines.....Lerner interfers like HDE in refusing to fund new signings......Doug Mark 2 is here.

Ps invariably in these scenarios it is more than one person that contributes to the demise, but the one to get the most blame is how you view it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Thats the timescale

Not often I say this,  and it would have been easy for me to take the support of Trent and not respond,  but Trent is wrong

I was and am pro Mon. 

What I said at the time was that if we were to break into the top four we needed more money to be spent money that Lerner could not afford and so if he couldnt afford it he should seek new investment or sell the club. 

We were basically trying to catch up with teams who had players worth 25M plus in positions and we were spending 10m on players,  it was not enough to achieve what lerner said he wanted to achieve.  

"This statement is intended to provide clarity regarding the status of the sale announcement I made in early May.

Over the last eight weeks we conducted a targeted process during which we explored the sale of the Club.

In advance of this process however, I committed to our Manager to become completely focused on the upcoming season should there be no agreement to sell by the time players and coaches return to training.

Given that no agreement has as of yet been reached, I feel that it is time now to turn my full attention back to Villa matters at hand.

While the sale process has been productive and remains ongoing, my priority at this point in the summer, heading into the upcoming season, is that the Villa organisation's sole focus be football - undistracted by any sales process.

Reverting to common practice, I do not intend to comment further on a potential sale or related rumours unless and until I have reached a definitive agreement to sell, at which time I will be prompt and clear"

Randy Lerner, Aston Villa Chairman

This statement is intended to provide clarity regarding the status of the sale announcement I made in early May.

Epic fail then Randy

It's pretty clear - we aren't sold and he's said that. 

Damned if you do damned if you don't!! The proof will be in the signings but if Lerner doesn't say anything everybody would be moaning about what's going on. He has now told us where we are at. It's exactly the statement I was expecting and I believe he will back Lambert as previous summers. What more can he say though?

Pretty clear statement, we are nowhere near being sold, and he is turning his main focus to the upcoming season; hopefully that means he'll allow funds to be available to make signings. Proper signings at that.

Ulver i'm gessing he wanted to prevent rumours spreading etc, and felt duty bound to at least give us some up date.

Edited by djamfisher

Damned if you do damned if you don't!! The proof will be in the signings but if Lerner doesn't say anything everybody would be moaning about what's going on. He has now told us where we are at. It's exactly the statement I was expecting and I believe he will back Lambert as previous summers. What more can he say though?

Has he backed Lambert much in previous summers?

Another fail again Mr. Lerner.

Has he backed Lambert much in previous summers?

Yes.

• Like 1

I'd rather he kept the £20m and dropped his asking price for the club in order to speed up his own exit.

The money won't be coming from his pocket I'm sure

I don't think much has over the years despite what people believe.

• Like 2

Â