The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I fear that in a few years we may be looking back and thinking it would be better to "dance with the devil you know."

We've had four years of fighting relegation, and even if we stay up this year, it's just delaying the inevitable.    I'd rather dance with a devil with more than two brain cells to rub together.

• Like 3

I fear that in a few years we may be looking back and thinking it would be better to "dance with the devil you know."

We've had four years of fighting relegation, and even if we stay up this year, it's just delaying the inevitable. I'd rather dance with a devil with more than two brain cells to rub together.

Agree.

I doubt it. I know I won't be looking back on Lerner's tenure with much enthusiasm. The early years of MON are the only things worth remembering.

• Like 1

Lerner's tenure could almost be spilt into 2 parts. The free spending, Acorns supporting, MON era with relative success and then the failures of everything that came after in the cost cutting, money crabbing, doesn't give a toss phase.

Yes, Randy did a lot of good in his first 3 years in charge, however these have been forever tainted by what has happened since.

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

I still don't think enough people understand FFP, both in terms of why randy lost interest and pulled the plug and in terms of the wealth of our new owners and how much cash they will inject

They can be worth $2bn or $200bn, they can't just happily pump it in regardless, they'll need to bring in contacts and sponsorships and generate revenue, much like the yanks have brought to Liverpool with the warrior deal

Edited by villa4europe

I still don't think enough people understand FFP, both in terms of why randy lost interest and pulled the plug and in terms of the wealth of our new owners and how much cash they will inject

They can be worth $2bn or $200bn, they can't just happily pump it in regardless, they'll need to bring in contacts and sponsorships and generate revenue, much like the yanks have brought to Liverpool with the warrior deal

And they shall. But it is not an overnight process - but at the same time I am sure there will be an outlay on better quality players from day 1 and the appointment of high quality management, coaching + people in charge of running the club who know a thing or two.

Or just sponsor a corner flag for £100 million a year, City have seemed to do alright.

• Like 1

Or just sponsor a corner flag for £100 million a year, City have seemed to do alright.

City have built a little bit more than corner flags outside the stadium in order to get round it...

Dodgy knees - I agree, that's why I don't think it matters how wealthy they are, they'll still be able to bring in better football people at the top and a couple of good players, retain our few existing good ones, and then they'll have to slowly build from there, $200bn owners aren't buying us £40m players regardless, they wouldn't be allowed because spending your own money is now considered cheating, $200bn owners coming in and sponsoring the shirt for £50m a year would no doubt also be considered cheating

I'm not defending him but to me it's not that hard to see why Lerner lost interest, these new rules are utter elitist bullshit

But no matter who does buy us there shouldn't be any "look at what we could have won" nonsense because the "ITK" guy on Twitter said someone richer was buying us

I didn't say that's all they have done, just making a point that there will always be ways around it.

Well yes and no. I think any sensible owner will be cautious about the existing rules and the upcoming judgements made by the panel before trying to circumvent FFP. They'd also be keeping a keen eye on the legality of the rules which won't be determined until 2015.

The sponsorship one is not something that can be looked at as an example of how a club can get around the rules.

If you read around then there's a real feeling, albeit one which nobody knows for sure, that PSG will get busted because of their brazenly back dated deal.

Man City might not because of they've gone for a broader approach, but they have something which 99% of other clubs can't i.e. sign sponsorship deals with state owned entities, not listed to any stock exchange with no direct link to being owned by Mansour himself.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

Fair enough, you're right just did a bit of research and it does appear they aren't just going to let clubs brazenly circumvent the rules, although I'll hold off until the verdict is announced on the under investigation clubs, particularly City and PSG as you said, before putting too much faith in the strength of the authority.

• Like 1

I'm confused villabromsgrove whats this about only 4m increase per season that HAS to be wrong it doesn't make sense for when new tv deals come out etc

Google "FFP explained" Paul, (2nd from top under Premier league) One of my sons mentioned it to me a few days ago and it made me think about our current situation.

I really think I owe this forum an apology. on 7th february I unwittingly created a "monster!" Suttonpaul was happily drifting along in blissful ignorance of FFP, and I had to open my big mouth! Sorry guys.  :blush:  This isn't in response to anything Paul, I was just trawling back through my posts to see if my opinions had changed over the last couple of months, and I found this. ;)

• Like 1

I'm confused villabromsgrove whats this about only 4m increase per season that HAS to be wrong it doesn't make sense for when new tv deals come out etc

Google "FFP explained" Paul, (2nd from top under Premier league) One of my sons mentioned it to me a few days ago and it made me think about our current situation.

I really think I owe this forum an apology. on 7th february I unwittingly created a "monster!" Suttonpaul was happily drifting along in blissful ignorance of FFP, and I had to open my big mouth! Sorry guys.  :blush:  This isn't in response to anything Paul, I was just trawling back through my posts to see if my opinions had changed over the last couple of months, and I found this. ;)

You should be banned.

• Like 1

Â