The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think we would all like to be relevant. But I for one, don't want it when it's just paid for. Everything man city or Chelsea wins is not from hard work and devoted fans, it's from rich people buying whatever trinket they want. I'm not interested in supporting some rich guys ego. I picked villa because they were blue collar. We've gotten where we are by support and hard work of blue collar fans. Our history of one with real struggle, including relegation, and dizzying heights as hard working underdogs. 

Maybe it's just an American thing but I doubt it. If Lerner sells, and I prefer that he would not. I hope it's not to some mega million moneybags, either corporate, or individual. I want us to succeed, because we work hard, we buy smart, we manage well, because our fans work hard to support and motivate the players, where the players love the club for what it is and what it represents, not because of the outrageous salary it pays them.... Sorry to be dramatic, but that's MY Villa

One last thing, the big clubs have huge international followings, but even their fans are shallow. Tagged on to someone else's success. Footballing morons. No thanks, I don't want those fans any more than I want the ego driven owner that paid for them.

Maybe that's just me, 

I admire your attitude and ethic, but a serious wealthy person can also build a club using a similar ethos. I do not necessary agree that a wealthy owner would bring a enormous ego with him, I think it is unfair to label the Manchester City owners being as such considering they have funded regeneration for the surrounding deprived areas in East Manchester and offer affordable tickets to witness top quality football, to name a few activities. We are not guaranteed to lose our identity or community values if we are owned by a richer person, if anything it is more likely to enhance the club's local reputation. 

Besides, Lerner has been guilty of paying disproportionate wages and using a similar spending model to bring success back to Villa. And our attendances rose when we were spending big under Lerner, for example look at the attendance we got against West Ham after signing Carew and Young. Let us put things into perspective.

I'll put my neck on the line and say none of what has gone on is a smoke screen and he isn't selling before next season.

I still think things will be on the up from the end of this season onward just because of the measures taken over the last couple of years

I'll put my neck on the line and say none of what has gone on is a smoke screen and he isn't selling before next season.

I still think things will be on the up from the end of this season onward just because of the measures taken over the last couple of years

If Lerner does not sell then hopefully he will invest in a better quality of player in the summer. But it all points to selling the club at the moment.

You say it all points to that but I think the opposite if you are going to in effect change the direction of the club completely to start again all the signs that are mentioned point to what I think also.

As for investing in better players it seems fairly clear we have 20m a season to spend that's been spread thin to get rid of players and fill a squad. The players brought in are mostly worth the same or more than what we paid so that is something we aren't used to lol.

Logic says and this really is an over to you Lambo moment........ that if he is handed 20m and spreads it about in the same way then I'll be pissed but logic says he would just buy say 2 or 3 players with it which you would imagine at 7 to 10m to spend on each player it would be hard not to improve.

All conjecture of course but that's the way I have seen it for sometime.

You say it all points to that but I think the opposite if you are going to in effect change the direction of the club completely to start again all the signs that are mentioned point to what I think also.

As for investing in better players it seems fairly clear we have 20m a season to spend that's been spread thin to get rid of players and fill a squad. The players brought in are mostly worth the same or more than what we paid so that is something we aren't used to lol.

Logic says and this really is an over to you Lambo moment........ that if he is handed 20m and spreads it about in the same way then I'll be pissed but logic says he would just buy say 2 or 3 players with it which you would imagine at 7 to 10m to spend on each player it would be hard not to improve.

All conjecture of course but that's the way I have seen it for sometime.

I had a similar way of viewing it but I have doubts it works like this. I do think Lambert has identified every player the club has signed though, I am assuming Lerner/Faulkner are bidding for the low cost signings rather than Lambert's first choice. The end objective, in my opinion, is the club being more attractive to buy.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

A certain person on here, who seemed to get everything else right, told me that Lerner will be gone within 2 years. I was told that a couple of months ago.

Whether him going is good or bad only time will tell. But, it looks like it's going to happen.

Edited by villarocker

A certain person on here, who seemed to get everything else right, told me that Lerner will be gone within 2 years. I was told that a couple of months ago.

Whether him going is good or bad only time will tell. But, it looks like it's going to happen.

I have no clue why Lambert took this job if lerner is indeed going to sell up. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

And it would also be strange to have a 5-year plan together with your manager if you intend to sell in less than 5 years.

Unless there is a clause that the new owners must keep Lambert for 2 years after they buy, and that seems extremely unlikely

• Like 1

I have no clue why Lambert took this job if lerner is indeed going to sell up. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

He could fail at this job and his stock would remain pretty high. There have been a few clubs who have gone through what we've done and been relegated...and let's not forget it was a massive pay rise.

I hope there's is a couple of contingency plans, one to sell up...which means a lot of uncertainly for Lambert, and one where we don't. I guess the second one would have been the one to convince Lambert more.

MON took the job under doug knowing that lerner was coming in, so there could easily already be an agreement  in place. I could be wrong here but I'm sure Lerner paid for Petrov before he had officially taken over the club.

And it would also be strange to have a 5-year plan together with your manager if you intend to sell in less than 5 years.

Unless there is a clause that the new owners must keep Lambert for 2 years after they buy, and that seems extremely unlikely

This is a excellent point and one that shouldn't go unnoticed.

It's possible to do both, rebuild the club for the long term and do it in a way that makes it attractive to new owners who could possibly do better for the club. To me there is no point in just giving up on the club and letting it rot because he won't get his money back that way. If I remember right Al Fayed wanted to sell Fulham for years but in the end just settled on steadying things, sure they had some bad years but also some very good ones and have been in the PL for over a decade with one of the smallest grounds. Funnily enough, as soon as he sold up they're in a bit of trouble. We have a bigger ground and bigger revenue streams so it's possible that Randy can get things going again along with Lambert in a sustainable way that may take a bit longer than when he just gave O'Neill an open chequebook but leave us better off long term. If he can then sell, then he will, if things go well then he may choose to stay.

• Like 1

I'd love it if Randy was to sell to the right owner but I don't think he will yet. Maybe in a couple of years. I'd imagine he wants to make more of his money back before selling up. Unless the new owners are going to come in and pay off the debt, but that seems unlikely to me, specially if it's a consortium. 

To be fair, 2 years is a long time in the world. I could claim anything could happen in the next two years (a terrorist attack, a stock market correction, Arsenal winning the league) and it would be fairly likely to happen by coincidence and I would look like a Nostradamus.

This is a excellent point and one that shouldn't go unnoticed.

Where do people get the 5 year plan from? I remember when Lambert joined people asked him about long term plans and he never mentioned any such '5 year plan' as he said things can change so quickly in football that you cannot place that much focus on the future. The only thing he has ever really said is he's sees being the Villa manager as a massive project and wants to build something here. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

thats what i was wondering lockstock

i am happy with lerner as owner but not happy with his poor restrictions as we are have become a meidocre club scrapping the barrel like under doug. if he wa sto invest properly again then i would be happy for him to remain. sadly it seems he wont so its time for him to move on as i think we will go down in next 3 years with the little money we are spending each season

i would liek lambert to be backed properly where he sign proper players not peanuts like on lowton and westwood

• Like 1

I think we will have new ownership in the summer.

I hope so.
I hope that we have better ownership.

I don't hope for change for change's sake, as that could be fraught with disaster.

Under Lerner I've witnessed:

The worst start to a premiership season.

Two of the worst premiership years we've had.

Most goals conceded in a single season for over 20 years.

3 consecutive games that saw us lose 15-0.

Us lose by the joint largest margin in the history of the club.

I'm happy to gamble on change for the sake of change because I doubt it would get worse.

....so by deduction,Bendall was a complete success....responsible for the league championship and European cup ?

nothing to do with Saunders,Barton & McLaren.

the bloke knew less about football than Randy Lerner.

Edited by TRO

Â