The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The point about RL appointing MON and that being his biggest mistake has some merit. That said, name MON's three most expensive signing?

Yes, we all know who they are.

Bought for roughly £30 million, sold for roughly £60 million after years and years of combined top class performances.

Only MON knows why he bought all these poxy players on disgustingly high wages and yet never had any intention of even playing them in the team!

Sidwell, Beye, Davies etc

Randy Lerner did not appoint Martin O'Neill, he inherited him. A parting gift from Deadly....

As stated in my earlier posting, he rubber stamped the appointment of O'Neill,and had more than one meeting won him prior to his appointment.

The point about RL appointing MON and that being his biggest mistake has some merit. That said, name MON's three most expensive signing?

Yes, we all know who they are.

Bought for roughly £30 million, sold for roughly £60 million after years and years of combined top class performances.

Only MON knows why he bought all these poxy players on disgustingly high wages and yet never had any intention of even playing them in the team!

Sidwell, Beye, Davies etc

Randy Lerner did not appoint Martin O'Neill, he inherited him. A parting gift from Deadly....

I'm sorry but that's total nonsense, an outgoing chairman doesn't call the shots 24hrs before he clears his desk out!

Also highly unlikely we are going to spend money in Jan unless something ' special crops ' up ! Word for word !

In the next couple of weeks he will be talking to the media AND MAKING SOME KIND OF STATEMENT but no he isn't looking to sell or is he looking to cash in on Bent or Gabby .

Wages still the big problem and have tried everythibg to try and get rid of the likes of Beye allegedly but he won't take a drop in money .

If Beye is on £50k a week and can only get a deal elsewhere for £35k a week (hypothetically) then we could offer to pay him £15k a week for the remainder of our contract with him, making us £35k a week better off. Its not rocket science or in other words they aren't really trying hard enough

If Beye is on £50k a week and can only get a deal elsewhere for £35k a week (hypothetically) then we could offer to pay him £15k a week for the remainder of our contract with him, making us £35k a week better off. Its not rocket science or in other words they aren't really trying hard enough

Yep agreed should have also said no takers for him either at any price

Well Beye will finally go in the summer, Carlos will aswell and hopefully Heskey. Roughly those three combined maked 150k a week so that's automatically 7m a year off the wage bill and I'd argue those three you don't really need to replace, certainly not Beye!

Also highly unlikely we are going to spend money in Jan unless something ' special crops ' up ! Word for word !

In the next couple of weeks he will be talking to the media AND MAKING SOME KIND OF STATEMENT but no he isn't looking to sell or is he looking to cash in on Bent or Gabby .

Wages still the big problem and have tried everythibg to try and get rid of the likes of Beye allegedly but he won't take a drop in money .

Thank you Mysteryman.

Always like hearing the inside line from you.

Or after playing all the 'Sky' Teams in December we are in the relegation shake up like last year

A point well made Denis. I think "something special" is more likely that then the availability of a Messi or a Defoe and it stops being "something special" when it happens twice in two seasons and we pay the price for "something special" by selling off the family jewells and so create the same problem for the following season.

It is simply not acceptable that we will do nothing in the next window as there are holes in the squad that need fixing and this wage thing will seem like chicken feed if we are at risk of going down in 5 months time and of losing millions the following year as a result due to the sudden unexplained need to balance the books at all potential costs.

Unfortunately, and I doubt whether anyone thought it at the time, including me, the worst thing that happened to Randy Lerner and Aston Villa was Martin O'Neill. Had a manager with some tactical nous been appointed, someone who was more capable in the transfer market, particularly given the riches afforded to him, we would probably be in a totally different position now. And for that Randy Lerner would still be lauded by the faithful.

So a bad businessman he may be, but his worst decision, rubber stamping the appointment of his first manager, is one that we would all have taken.

So we are all bad businessmen.

What utter rubbish. O'Neill left in bad circumstances and the wage bill was out of control. But the wage bill abnd transfers were approved by the money men in the club - namely Randy and Faulkner. O'Neill turned us into a consistent top 6 side. He helped turn Gabby into the player he is now. He got us our first win at Old Trafford for over 30 years. He got us wins at Arsenal, Liverpool, an incredible 4-4 draw at Chelsea, we beat Blues 5-1, we beat Everton at Goodison Park in dramatic fashion. We reached the Carling Cup final, we made the FA Cup semis. Yes things went wrong but it took Fergie four years to win a trophy at Man U, O'Neill had five years at Villa and came very, very close. He didn't get everything right but name a manager that does? This comment above is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here. The managers we've had since are nowhere near as good as O'Neill and we will be very lucky to get someone who can guarantee the same stability that we had again. I'll never forget the booing when we drew 0-0 with West Ham and missed out on second place. In my opinion the beginning of the end and a very sad day to be a Villa fan.

O'Neill left in bad circumstances and the wage bill was out of control. But the wage bill abnd transfers were approved by the money men in the club - namely Randy and Faulkner

Yeah....but im pretty sure the money men who sanctioned those deals werent aware that most of his buys were going to be sat on their arses for the vast majority of their contracts. Thats where MoN **** us over big time - signing all that shite and then letting them rot on the bench. STILL rotting on the bench/reserves in some cases!!

O'Neill left in bad circumstances and the wage bill was out of control. But the wage bill abnd transfers were approved by the money men in the club - namely Randy and Faulkner

Yeah....but im pretty sure the money men who sanctioned those deals werent aware that most of his buys were going to be sat on their arses for the vast majority of their contracts. Thats where MoN **** us over big time - signing all that shite and then letting them rot on the bench. STILL rotting on the bench/reserves in some cases!!

Its also not up to the money men to judge how good a player is if thats the player the manager wants. What our board is guilty of is not saying no sooner, rather than letting the wages get to where it did.

Beye was regarded as a very good right-back by Newcastle fans, Shorey was highly rated by Reading fans, Cuellar is a good defender who has been under-used, Sidwell was only ever a squad player as at the time we had Barry, Milner, Young, Petrov, Milner and Reo-Coker as options in midfield. The board surely knew he would struggle to be a regular. I think they were counting on us getting in the top 4 and then just when it looked like we were closing in on it along came Man City.

The fact is every single manager in the history of the game signs dud players. O'Neill also signed some extremely good players, hence we established ourselves as a top 6 side. Yes he signed the aforementioned few and they also have to share some of the blame for underperforming. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended that they just rotted on the bench or in the reserves.

It's obvious O'Neill fell out with the board and that is why he left. He didn't leave with a wry smile on his face thinking 'those signings will bankrupt Villa, I will get my revenge'. He wanted to be a success. I felt hurt when he left but then I realised that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and it may just be his close-working relationship with Randy and Faulkner was no more. We should remember him as a manager that did a good job for us. Not a superb job but a good one. Sometimes I wonder if O'Leary had a point, maybe some of our fans are fickle? Before you all argue with me on this one again I will point to the West Ham 0-0 draw and quote a shout from a fan in Trinity Road three years ago who shouted: "Friedel you bald t$%£".

Anyone who singles out O'Neill for all of our failings is 100% wrong. He has to take some of the blame but so do the board and so do the fans. Plus he didn't sign Ireland or Makoun did he? Who are you going to blame for those dud deals? Houllier? Faulkner? Randy? O'Neill?!

To all those fans who have a level-headed opinion like mine (although you are entitled to your own balanced opinions) all I can say is Up the Villa!

Its also not up to the money men to judge how good a player is if thats the player the manager wants. What our board is guilty of is not saying no sooner, rather than letting the wages get to where it did.

Which lets be honest is a pretty big **** up which has set us back years in terms of challenging for what the board originally claimed.

Agreed Big_John_10, they should have said no sooner. But they didn't and if you were manager would you try and strengthen your squad in order to be ambitious or try and balance the books? The books are the jobs of the accountants aren't they? No manager gets to sign who he wants without approval from above.

Â