The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I like what Lerner/Lambert are now doing.

Sometimes I think people live in some kind of cocoon. The world's financial problems haven't been fixed, the can has just been kicked down the road by the likes of Mervyn King and his magic money printing press. Now we have Carney the clown to do exactly the same until the next election. The shock waves coming when the doodah finally hits the fan and all the debt has to be called in is going to be so seismic that 'Doing a Portsmouth' will become a common phrase in football. Hopefully us excluded!

sit back and enjoy the show.

Big few weeks coming up under Lerners stewardship now.

Firstly he needs to ensure he holds out for what Benteke is worth and I'd suggest that is upwards of 28mill. If not then we simply don't sell.

Secondly its ensuring that money is made available to Lambert to reinvest if he so wishes.

Finally it is ensuring that the wages are made available to help bring in a couple of players of proven quality that this squad so clearly lacks, even more so with the likely loss of Benteke.

You clearly can't believe a lot of what is reported but what I found most alarming if it is true is that Benteke was offered a double his money contract from 20k a week to 40k a week. If that was the case then I am sorry but you are not going to have any chance of keeping hold of one of the brightest young forwards in Europe with those kinds of wages. I am all for having a sensible wage structure but if this club is going to have a cat in hells chance of ever competing in the top third of the top flight again then we are going to have to put exceptional players on contracts that other clubs will be more than happy to pay them for their services.

There is clearly a balance to be struck with wages. Whilst we have been stung with the likes of Ireland that doesn't mean we should not pay the going rate in wages to clearly exceptional players who can make a huge contribution.

The thing is, I genuinely believe that Lambert isn't interested in bringing in players who already have 'made it' or are 'proven' quality.  It seems to me that he and Lerner are singing from the same hymn sheet on this, and they would rather bring on players and then give them bigger, longer contracts when they deserve it.

I think you could well be right. Trouble is the test comes if/when these young lads have proven themselves and then want the going rate in wages for proven Premier League players - the 50,60, 70k a week wages. Now if reports are correct we offered Benteke a double your money 40k a week new contract and if that was the case then that is nowhere near the going rate for one of the best young forwards in Europe. He will be getting twice that when he moves.

Either to attract established players or keep the players who have proven themselves to be quality performers at this level with us we are going to have to pay the big wages.

Edited by markavfc40

Firstly he needs to ensure he holds out for what Benteke is worth and I'd suggest that is upwards of 28mill. If not then we simply don't sell.

Secondly its ensuring that money is made available to Lambert to reinvest if he so wishes.

Finally it is ensuring that the wages are made available to help bring in a couple of players of proven quality that this squad so clearly lacks, even more so with the likely loss of Benteke.

You clearly can't believe a lot of what is reported but what I found most alarming if it is true is that Benteke was offered a double his money contract from 20k a week to 40k a week. If that was the case then I am sorry but you are not going to have any chance of keeping hold of one of the brightest young forwards in Europe with those kinds of wages. I am all for having a sensible wage structure but if this club is going to have a cat in hells chance of ever competing in the top third of the top flight again then we are going to have to put exceptional players on contracts that other clubs will be more than happy to pay them for their services.

There is clearly a balance to be struck with wages. Whilst we have been stung with the likes of Ireland that doesn't mean we should not pay the going rate in wages to clearly exceptional players who can make a huge contribution.

When we were in dire straits in Jan - Lerner funded Lambert with a paltry £1m. To me the probability is that Lambert won't see an awful lot of the Bentekke cash (unless of course you argue he's already spent his quota Okore, Tonev etc)

W eve seen good players leave before - but I fear this one could be a watershed - If we are only interested in paying player £10-£20k pw - and only reinvest a fraction of fees received - then we are being run along the lines of the paupers of the premier league. Yes were not a top 4 club - but were not premier league minnows either.  .........................(Yet)

Definitely. He's made mistakes. But this season he's gone a fair way to making up for some of them.

The sacking of McLeish, appointing of Lambert, then allowing Lambert to put faith in kids. Then the summer of signing players early (for more expensive than they would have been, had we signed them late), extending our best players' contracts and also, seemingly, rejecting transfer offers for Benteke.

Also, I don't know whether it's down to Lambert, Faulkner, Lerner or someone else, but the handling of the 'Benteke-saga' has been fantastic from the word go.

Why we've never said 'we want our valuation met by a certain time, or he stays' before, is beyond me!

UTV!!

• Like 2

We don't really know who does what behind the scenes at the club. What we do know is that a triumvirate of Lambert, Lerner and Faulkner is looking a considerably more dynamic force than we have had for a number of years. By luck or by judgement, our executive structure seems to be in good shape. Let's hope it continues.

• Like 4

The thing is, I genuinely believe that Lambert isn't interested in bringing in players who already have 'made it' or are 'proven' quality.  It seems to me that he and Lerner are singing from the same hymn sheet on this, and they would rather bring on players and then give them bigger, longer contracts when they deserve it.

I think you could well be right. Trouble is the test comes if/when these young lads have proven themselves and then want the going rate in wages for proven Premier League players - the 50,60, 70k a week wages. Now if reports are correct we offered Benteke a double your money 40k a week new contract and if that was the case then that is nowhere near the going rate for one of the best young forwards in Europe. He will be getting twice that when he moves.

Either to attract established players or keep the players who have proven themselves to be quality performers at this level with us we are going to have to pay the big wages.

I don't think we have a problem if things gets balanced .. And we managed somehow to start getting up to the top 7-8 ..

The thing is .. By shifting Bent , Ireland , Given and Hutton and maybe Zoggy .. We'd almost shift all high earners with less quality .. 

In that case .. especially when you consider Dunne , Warnock , Beye , Heskey ......... etc 

You'll find that our current wages would be about half of what it was that time ..

So in that case .. I don't think we would have a problem giving someone like Benteke more than 80k .. As long as he proved himself with us ..

Put it that way .. If we managed to do something great as going to the CL .. We'd try and get superstars and add them to the team ..

If not .. we would complete get these bargains .. and have a stable finance .. improvement in the teams and players .. The players get high values .. We give them what they deserve and continue improving ..

I only wish Lerner was watching/trying to watch the Wycombe v Villa game today on AVTV, What a joke! (not the game or the score line) Time for villa to invest in a reliable company to stream our games LIVE and above all else commentators who actualy know what the hell their talking about, with the money he got from TV rights he should invest some on upgrading AVTV.

Â