Paul Lambert

Pilchard

My point was that to comment on each individual case we would have to see the contract and any relevant clauses.

We seem to be saying the same thing here!

I know!! Ha ha.

I think reading back my original point was in reply to you saying the player cannot force the club to pay his contract. I was trying to clarify the actual law as I understand it. Unless there is a specific clause (I suppose???), a player can legally demand compo for losses incurred if his new contract is worth less than his current one. But only if he isn't the one terminating it by requesting to leave. That is how I believe it works. It's the players discretion if he accepts a bit less - say if he wants first team action ala Bent.

Edited by Kingfisher

My point was that to comment on each individual case we would have to see the contract and any relevant clauses.

We seem to be saying the same thing here!

I know!! Ha ha.

I think reading back my original point was in reply to you saying the player cannot force the club to pay his contract. I was trying to clarify the actual law as I understand it. Unless there is a specific clause (I suppose???), a player can legally demand compo for losses incurred if his new contract is worth less than his current one. But only if he isn't the one terminating it by requesting to leave. That is how I believe it works. It's the players discretion if he accepts a bit less - say if he wants first team action ala Bent.

Yep, we're on the same page. My original post wasn't clear enough, as usual!

I always though transfers worked this way: Club a agrees fee with club b to negotiate with the player. If the player doesn't want to leave, he can stay and continue to be paid and collect his wages at the current club while playing for the, and club b doesn't have to pay a fee. If however, club b offers the player less money, he can then tell his current club, "I won't leave unless you pay part of the contract to make up the difference." If he decides to leave and doesn't do that, then he's not entitled to the old contract because he signed a new one with a different club. However, very few players willingly take wage cuts so club a usually agrees to pay the difference to get the player off the books. 

Point is, you can't really force a player to accept a transfer away, he can always stay and keep collecting his current contract. However, if he willingly leaves and doesn't ask for the difference prior to it, there'd be no way he'd be entitled to compensation as his contract with club a was voided when he signed with the new club.

Edit: I meant to put this in previous post

Edit #2: Why didn't I just edit it into the previous post after the fact you ask? I don't know, I need sleep, we all need sleep, try to get more sleep tomorrow villatalkers

Edited by Rovers13

Yes that is the way it works from my understanding Rovers13.

The earlier poster seemed to be saying the old club had to pay out the remainder of the contract in full and then the player would sign a new contract with the new club.

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/22/paul-lambert-motherwell-dortmund

Great interview. Shows that Lambert is the right man to bring unknown players with potential into the team. He himself felt out of his depth and was relatively unknown but obviously showed something if Dortmund were willing to take him on trial.

I think his own experiences puts him a good position to get the best out of players that haven't quite made it. 

• Like 2

Does anyone remember when we signed Lambert last year?

Loads of people saying on here how he was MON mark II, he would only buy English players and had no experience of bringing people from abroad.

How did that go!

• Like 1

Loads of people saying on here how he was MON mark II, he would only buy English players and had no experience of bringing people from abroad.

How did that go!

Shows what we know.

How did that go!

I was pleased with his appointment but yes one of my main concerns was that he'd only buy from the UK. Clearly I was very wrong about that, fortunately.

I was also concerned that he wouldn't get us passing more but he seems to be doing just that so once again, very pleased to have been wrong about that.

• Like 1

Back on topic :rolleyes:

I bet Paul is eager to wrap up the Luna signing plus the Cilla Black "Surprise Surprise" special deal, so he and his family can enjoy a well earned holiday at Butlins Skegness and let the club sort the clearout, er, out.

Just loving this transfer window, I have actually heard of some of the players before we were linked with them. Gonna be like a kid at christmas when the season kicks off, so pumped for this. 

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/22/paul-lambert-motherwell-dortmund

Great interview. Shows that Lambert is the right man to bring unknown players with potential into the team. He himself felt out of his depth and was relatively unknown but obviously showed something if Dortmund were willing to take him on trial.

I think his own experiences puts him a good position to get the best out of players that haven't quite made it. 

Lambert comes across as modest, appreciative, intelligent.  Interesting career, going from a small provincial club in a minor league to playing with top players. 

If that gives him some understanding of both types, that's good.  And if it makes him impatient of the ones who are happy to sit around doing not much for large sums of money, even better.

• Like 2

It's exciting going into the new season with so many young unknown quantities. We're gonna see how good Lambert is now, the man I wanted when we ended up with Houlier, incidentally. The Benteke signing was a stroke of genius, has he done it again this summer?

It's exciting going into the new season with so many young unknown quantities. We're gonna see how good Lambert is now, the man I wanted when we ended up with Houlier, incidentally. The Benteke signing was a stroke of genius, has he done it again this summer?

I think he might in July/August. 

Best summer transfer window I can remember. He might have his weaknesses but I think we can agree that he's very shrewd at finding a good bargain. All of his signings this summer will probably not be a success but I think that the majority will be fantastic given his record.

Lambert is the best thing to happen to this club in many years.

• Like 1

Best summer transfer window I can remember. He might have his weaknesses but I think we can agree that he's very shrewd at finding a good bargain. All of his signings this summer will probably not be a success but I think that the majority will be fantastic given his record.

Lambert is the best thing to happen to this club in many years.

if only one or two are of benteke quality, a couple of westwood and lowton quality and one or two don't show much it will be a massive success for Lambert. even if all they do is raise the other players' games in training and on matchdays due to increased competition that's almost worth the modest fees he's paid and that's the worst case scenario.

just, great, great work getting all these signings in so quickly will help us in so many different ways. might convince benteke to stick around, others to sign extensions, attract new signings, more positivity at the club, makes the squad more of a Lambert squad... the list goes on.