Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I wouldn't exactly call £7million for Benteke, £3million for Lowton, Bennett, and Vlaar, £2million for El Ahmedi, Westwood and Sylla, and £500k for Bowery coming to a total of £22.5million, a shoestring budget.

Especially not £7million for one player.

What lambert needs now is backing to continue the great job he has started.

This is utter and complete bollocks.

I'm wondering to myself how many sets of fans in the Premiership would congratulate a manager so vigorously by stating what a great job he has done when their team could still be relegated?

He has not done a great job at all. He has made many mistakes and the only reason why he has got away with it so far is due to his predecessor and the very fact that the majority of Villa fans have shown the one virtue that has been criticised in posts above.

Lambert has presided over one of the worst seasons i have ever experienced as a Villa supporter and speaking from my own personal point of view i have been sick with worry that he would take us down this season due to those mistakes which have been highlighted elsewhere. He has gambled with the club's future with his transfer policy and if we stay up those weaknesses which he has thrown several millions at will need the same amount or more to fix next season namely in defence and midfield.

For me one or two results and performances against Liverpool and Sunderland does not constitute or point to him being the right man for us when for most of the season we have been battling against relegation and suffering indignity in the cup competitions.

We may have turned a corner as i stated in the match thread for the Sunderland game but we have a long way to go before i am convinced that Lambert is the right manager for our football club.

• Like 1

Pretty harsh but you are entitled to your own opinion of course. I do of course disagree with you, and I would have to say that things have been looking up lately. Do remember that we have some really bad players in our squad and that is one of our problems as well. We have to little players that are able to contribute in our team. To be honest, I feel Lambert has done pretty damn good considering the players we have. But we will see, I really do hope that we get some more reliable players next season, and as you pointed out in the midfield and especially in our defense. 

But I like this season more than than I have done in the last couple season we have had. But I do expect us to finish much higher in the upcoming season.

• Like 2

I wouldn't exactly call £7million for Benteke, £3million for Lowton, Bennett, and Vlaar, £2million for El Ahmedi, Westwood and Sylla, and £500k for Bowery coming to a total of £22.5million, a shoestring budget.

Especially not £7million for one player.

£7m for a striker scoring as many goals as he has is cheap, he is our star player. You've stated 8 players there, add on Guzan who was free (to Lambert's signings) and thats 9 players - which works out at an average of £2.5m a player. In the Premier League I'd call that a small budget for that amount of players.

He has made mistakes this season but the team is definitely going in the right direction.

What I find incredible is that not only have we got the youngest side in the league, our team for the last couple of games has not contained a single player signed from the premier league or indeed from the top 5 leagues in Europe. Mental !

He can obviously spot a player for a decent price and I look forward to seeing what he can do when's he's been able to clear out the deadwood. Even though this season has been horrendous at times and were still not out of it, I feel more optimism about villas future now than any other time over the last couple of seasons

There were times this season when he really looked like a dead man walking, and after the Bradford disaster I was one of those calling for his head. However full credit to him for turning this abortion of a season around. Its nice to finish a season strongly for a change and for this he deserves backing in the summer - but recognising that this season he has acheived the bare minimum and must push on from here. I personally cannot take another season struggling in and around the drop zone.

He has stuck to his young guns, got them playing a style of counter-attacking football that is exciting to watch and kicks every ball. He's got it to work, but by the skin of his teeth. It looked like it was going very badly but things seem on the up. Hats off to him.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

How on Earth did he turn it around anyway? Would genuinely like to know.

Because we were never actually that bad, and now we're not actually that good. But on Football forums everything gets amplified and exaggerated. 

• Like 1

How on Earth did he turn it around anyway? Would genuinely like to know.

Because we were never actually that bad, and now we're not actually that good. But on Football forums everything gets amplified and exaggerated. 

But we were that bad though. We really were. Not saying we're world class now or anything but the team now is so much better than the one of January.

However the reactionary mob rule mentality that seemed to pervade some of the comments about lambert at the time exposed the failings of the modern fan for me.

The same modern day fan who wanted houllier and mcleish sacked before they'd finished a season?

The same modern day fan who wrote a letter to the chairmen telling him to sell up if he couldn't afford to get us top 4?

Your attitudes changed because you like the man. I'm not sure you can take the moral high ground on this one Richard.

Edited by Big_John_10

I don't see the problem with fans wanting him out earlier in the season when we were in the bottom 3.. i'm not saying its the right thing (obviously its not now) but people at that point had valid criticism on him and the team.

Obviously now he is getting the recognition he deserves for turning things around - equally he needs to be called out on when imo we were underperforming earlier part of the season. 

That said if we are in this same position next season i'd have to question him, in the summer he must improve the defence.. MUST do.

He has done well. I think we have to accept he doesnt give a toss about defending and values attitude and work rate higher than expereince and price tags.

Assuming we stay up I think we will have another rollercoaster ride next season.  genuinely doubt that Lamberts philosophy can get us constistently in the top half f the table, but I do think we will play some entertaining stuff.

Lambert was and is the best manager for us and I fail to see any other than about 3 or 4 in this league that I would prefer.

And yet for the last few months you thought we were getting relegated and only a few weeks ago thought there was no way he'd get anything from the Wigan game if we needed something to stay up.

However the reactionary mob rule mentality that seemed to pervade some of the comments about lambert at the time exposed the failings of the modern fan for me.

The same modern day fan who wanted houllier and mcleish sacked before they'd finished a season?

The same modern day fan who wrote a letter to the chairmen telling him to sell up if he couldn't afford to get us top 4?

Your attitudes changed because you like the man. I'm not sure you can take the moral high ground on this one Richard.

yes the same fan. See they are different situations and different strategies were taking place. Mcleish and houllier were quite obviously the wrong men at he wrong time not at all working to a long term strategy, just bodgit and scarper. I actually met houllier a couple of times and he was a nice enough bloke, didn't dislike him but he was wrong for us.

As to what I wrote about Lerner, was that wrong? You agreed with it I recall and have said I was right, now are you saying I was wrong?

Thing is lambert just felt right for me still does. I said at the start of the season that we would struggle for the first half and get better as the season went on . Admittedly I had hoped we would get better sooner than we have but regarless of that for me I always had faith that lambert was is and will be the right man

• Like 1

Lambert was and is the best manager for us and I fail to see any other than about 3 or 4 in this league that I would prefer.

And yet for the last few months you thought we were getting relegated and only a few weeks ago thought there was no way he'd get anything from the Wigan game if we needed something to stay up.

absolutely I did and I still don't think we're safe. I do however believe he is the right man for us, which I realise goes agains the modern day football philosophy of demanding instant results.