Paul Lambert

Pilchard

But it doesn't show it is played into the air any more often than other teams, just that Benteke challenges a lot for headers.

Not having a go at you here John, and maybe this is me reacting to something I have noticed a lot over the last week or so (and why my ignore list has grown tremendously!), but it's just that frankly I'm pig sick of people who are fans of the club actually taking any opportunity at all to turn anything they can into a negative to have a go at the club. Like I say maybe I read into your comment more than is there but anything can be taken anyway you want really (glass half full or half empty) and this stat about Benteke in aerial duals can show anything.

Rich, I am not looking to take sides here but the stat pack from our official club site said that the most successful pass combination in the game on Saturday was Guzan to Benteke. They have also recorded a large pass combo in previous games when I have looked at those stat packs in the past. I am not saying for one minute that it makes us a long ball team though!

Personally, I just think it's a tactic that has developed since Lambert realised that we don't have the players capable of playing it around from the back into the midfield players. I do think that hitting it up to bentele is a good option though, especially if he is number one for winning aerial battles! If they didn't play to that strength people would be moaning about that as well!

He's trying to create a quick, dynamic, athletic team who can run quicker and think quicker than the opposition. A modern team who are free of the old fashioned constraints of big centre backs and heavy hoofers because that's how he sees the game changing.

We hoof the ball far too much and his fullback signings do this more than most.

We have weak players all over the pitch. See brunts goal yesterday. Lowton easily out muscled, Westwood out muscled and Clark too weak to do anything about lukaku holding the ball up until brunt appeared.

I think a lot of people are seeing what they want to because stats, results and performances don't back up this so called plan.

We have reverted to being a long ball team, but this certainly was not PL's plan.

Early in the season there was a match, sorry cannot remember which one, where Given did not hit a single goal kick long. We tried to pass the ball and play up from the back, but we quickly realized the midfield could not play that way.

Now we are doing what teams with awful midfields do, bypass them.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are seeing what they want to because stats, results and performances don't back up this so called plan.

The plan is clearly there. The stats, results and performances suggest the plan is not working.

We have reverted to being a long ball team, but this certainly was not PL's plan.

Early in the season there was a match, sorry cannot remember which one, where Given did not hit a single goal kick long. We tried to pass the ball and play up from the back, but we quickly realized the midfield could not play that way.

Now we are doing what teams with awful midfields do, bypass them.

Average pass length

Arsenal: 18m

Swansea: 19m

Chelsea: 19m

Manchester City: 19m

Wigan: 19m

Liverpool: 19m

Manchester Utd: 19m

Southampton: 19m

Fulham: 20m

QPR: 20m

Tottenham: 20m

Aston Villa: 21m

Everton: 21m

Reading: 21m

Stoke: 21m

Sunderland: 21m

WBA: 21m

West Ham: 21m

Newcastle: 22m

Norwich: 22m

Comparison:

Barcelona 17m

17-18 m = Short passing team

19-20 = Mixed passing team

21-22 = Long passing team

We are passing longer than we should be by at least 2 meters, on average.

We have to be more effective going forward as our midfield isnt good enough to control possession. Maybe PL was naiive in what he thought the quality of the squad was. However, if it means we get more results then I am all for it. I would love to be like Stoke right now if it meant we stay up. Obv it is not PL's long term plan.

Agreed right now I don't care what type of football we play as long as we get points on the board.

We are passing long already so that implies we need to pass shorter and rely on the big ball up to Benteke less.

Not sure I care how long the passes are as long as they are passes as opposed to hopeful punts upfield.

I suspect our defenders are making far many long passes than they should, compared to defenders in the better teams.

Players like Clark, Lowton, Bennett should be giving possession to the midfielders, not kicking it long.

In the great teams, long balls are made by the player in your team with the best passing skill: Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard, not Martin Skrtel or Branislav Ivanovic.

I'm going to check the stats on this.

We play some very nice stuff in each game, and none of the goals against WBA were long ball. I don't think we can be labelled a long ball side. But saying that when you have a striker with the presence that Benteke has, it's silly not to hit it up to him, because he uses it well. He doesnt aimlessly flick on to nothing, he takes a touch and brings poeple into play.

Surely the plan, which, you say is "the right way to go" isn't so much Lambert's plan, as the Club's plan - you know RL/PF and PL all together?

So in other words, the club's plan being the right one is down to Randy and both Pauls and not something which you (anyone) could credibly criticise them for?

And if the plan is right, then the reason we're struggling must be due to the implementation....and the implementation is down to the manager at least as much, if not more than, more than the board?

That seems to be the logical thrust of your comment, doesn't it?

No I dont think so, as the logical thrust of your argument is why do we need a manager at all?

For me the owner and his ceo have set the corporate direction / strategy of the business / club and the plan that Paul Lambert is implementing is his response to that corporate strategy, it is his plan at how to move the playing side of the business forward bearing in mind the corporate plan that the owner wants to see happening.

I do not think the owner or his ceo have specifically set the playing side strategy, the manager will do that.

Now you can debate the merits or not of that plan and the implementation of it to your heart's content. But that is how I see it.

We played quality football in the first half cause West Brom aloud us too, not necessarily cause we were the better side. Second half West Brom turned up the heat stopping us from playing our game, I dont think we played any worse, just Lambert had no answer for there change in tactics.

• Like 1

We played quality football in the first half cause West Brom aloud us too, not necessarily cause we were the better side. Second half West Brom turned up the heat stopping us from playing our game, I dont think we played any worse, just Lambert had no answer for there change in tactics.

I disagree - I think we played much worse. Benteke/Gabby weren't holding up the ball. The midfield was getting the ball to the strikers, it just didn't work. We gave them far too much space in the 2nd half for sure.

For me, playing long balls to Benteke is useless unless he has someone to flick it onto eg Bent or Andi. Almost every time that the ball is smashed forward towards Benteke he is our furthest man forward. The only thing he can do is either try to knock it backwards or try to bring it down and hold off the defender. If he had someone further forward to try to flick it onto it would give him more options and probably more space because opposing defenders would be wary of someone running in behind. I hate that we often revert to playing long ball, but if we are going to then at least give Benteke as much help as possible when doing so!

I felt we contained the game very well in the first half, the Baggies weren't really at the races, they definitely stepped it up in the second and we had no answer. The problem is that we don't have any leaders out there, we have players that bottle it, they just weren't confident with even a 2 goal lead and when they conceded the first it was obvious they were going to crumble.

Point being I'm not entirely sure what Lambert could have done to change things, we just lack that tenacity and set of balls to see out a result.

Sick of people having a go at the club or sick of people having a to at Lambert?

The club to be honest John, all aspects of it. Everything that happens or has been said recently I always see a negative spin.

No doubt you, or actually others, may come back and say "ah but Richard you double standards bastard, you're always having a go at Lerner". And to some extent I could probably see that, but I would just counter that with - Not all the time, not as much recently as I have done and that is only me having a go at lerner over him specifically being crap at owning the club in the last 3 or 4 years.

For me what I am now taling about is that I am pig sick of people picking up every little thing or stat and then truning it against the club, as if everything is there to be used as a stick.

• Like 1

The club to be honest John, all aspects of it. Everything that happens or has been said recently I always see a negative spin.

No doubt you, or actually others, may come back and say "ah but Richard you double standards bastard, you're always having a go at Lerner". And to some extent I could probably see that, but I would just counter that with - Not all the time, not as much recently as I have done and that is only me having a go at lerner over him specifically being crap at owning the club in the last 3 or 4 years.

For me what I am now taling about is that I am pig sick of people picking up every little thing or stat and then truning it against the club, as if everything is there to be used as a stick.

It is getting rather tedious to be honest.

I find most things to do with the club rather tedious.

At this moment in time I can see why there is a negative edge to people's posts. Some people aren't happy to stick with lambert no matter what. Some people don't think we're better off as a club with Lerner as owner.

This has never been a board for just one sided opinions and I hope it doesn't become that.

I'd also say i can't see many people twisting things to be negative. You don't have to twist what's happening.