Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Good post Harry.

I don't think sacking him now will achieve much and i agree with your criticism of lambert in regards to tactics.

The only thing i disagree with is your point about most villa fans wanting players from the lower leagues. While we wanted to find cheap talent i don't think anyone wanted the majority of our signings to be lower league inexperienced players.

The majority of fans were backing him when he was signing them.

Saying that they'd rather have them than the overpaid rocket polishers we've had. It's just as it not working out the fans turn and say it was never going to work. It's easy for fans to do that.

Well i certainly wasn't happy with our approach this summer and made it clear that it made me worry about relegation.

Saying that though a lot of fans put their trust in Lamberts judgement but only one of his signings have had an impact on this team so far.

I think the thing with the Bradford debacle is that we had ample pre warning of what to expect.. I can understand a shock cup result but i fail to see where the "Shock" was in that. We should have known what to expect & i am sure did so & to lose like that despite being "prepared" is what worries me.

I still have time for Lambert i really do it's our players i have issues with. They are simply not good enough.

Sacking Paul Lambert will solve nothing.

exactly. Lack of consistency and short termism are two of the main reasons we are in this mess. Another quick fix will it solve anything it will make it worse. For me we have to stick to the long term project as it will fix us for a generation
  • Like 4

exactly. Lack of consistency and short termism are two of the main reasons we are in this mess. Another quick fix will it solve anything it will make it worse. For me we have to stick to the long term project as it will fix us for a generation

Possibly? And this project if it goes ahead is going to involve some time outside the Premier League.

I agree. But what if the project depends on several of our young players who just seem to not be good enough? Will Lambert be able to get rid of players like Albrighton, Clark, Bannan, Delph, Lichaj and Herd? And what happen to the "young hungry players" project if we get rid of all those not good enough?

Do Lerner overestimate these young players? I remember Krulak yabbing about the great young academy players at Villa. It seems that Lerner believe that he can run the club at minimum costs because he believe the young players are better than they are.

Edited by DeepDish

Despite my anger at last nights result, I accept that sacking PL will not change anything in the short term, but i am amazed that you portray him as some kind of "messiah" that will "fix us for a generation".

Where is the actual evidence now or from the past that he has what it takes to make us a better Premiership team? The "long term project" that you talk of is based on RL running the club on a shoestring and PL buying in lower league and cheap foreign players. This in my opinion is a very high risk strategy that is more likely to f**k us up for a generation.

All this grandiose talk about a "project" turns my stomach a little, given the utter rubbish we are being served up at present and the way we are stumbling from disaster to disaster apparently with no-one providing leadership on or off the pitch.

Maybe it would be wiser to tone down the visionary language for a while while we are weathering the storm of a relegation fight.

Edited by briny_ear

I wonder where we would be if we signed Laudrup as manager instead of Lambert. Wonder how the likes of Ki, Michu, Pablo Hernandez, Chico and De Guzman would have worked in our squad?

Laudrup was my first choice after the OGS craze died down. Michu for what, £2million? Unbelievable.

Lambert has made some serious errors in regards to sticking with formations that make us ship ridiculous amounts of goals and the unforgivable tactics of playing hoofball up to Benteke against a League 2 side for crying out loud.

He doesn't seem to learn which is worrying. Look at where we are now because of his policy of buying youth from lower leagues, and who is supposedly our first (and possibly only) transfer of the January window? Dale Stephens. I'm not one to judge players before they've put on the shirt, but we are in desperate times right now and youth is not the answer. Any manager worth his salt knows a balance of youth and experience is vital to sustainable success for a Premier League team. Too much of one or the other undoubtedly causes problems.

It's so frustrating watching us make the same mistakes over and over without learning anything. However, with how we are right now, sacking Lambert will achieve nothing. We can't get anyone better in my opinion, and we still have wage bill issues to sort out and high earners who are not contributing to the team.

How is it that we seem to be the only Premier League club who have to buy youth on low wages? We're not the poorest club in the league by a longshot. I would love to meet with Lerner and ask him why we have to have such a policy, yet the Fulhams, Evertons and Swanseas of the league seem not only to be able to survive, but thrive. It's absolutely infuriating and it doesn't make any sense. These last few years are the worst I've ever felt about our club and it seems like it was completely avoidable.

Our troubles run much deeper than Lambert. Something is seriously rotten at this club. Lerner and Faulkner have a lot to answer for and until either one or both of them have gone, I just feel like we are going to make the same mistakes over and over until we are relegated, which unfortunately to me looks like happening this season.

Our problems are obvious to most fans, yet the people who matter just don't look like they're able to see it. It's frustrating and heartbreaking to feel so powerless watching your club sinking into the abyss knowing that it could be avoided.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

Despite my anger at last nights result, I accept that sacking PL will not change anything in the short term, but i am amazed that you portray him as some kind of "messiah" that will "fix us for a generation".

Where is the actual evidence now or from the past that he has what it takes to make us a better Premiership team? The "long term project" that you talk of is based on RL running the club on a shoestring and PL buying in lower league and cheap foreign players. This in my opinion is a very high risk strategy that is more likely to f**k us up for a generation.

Villa cannot compete with the likes of Man City, ManUre or Chelsea when it comes to chequebook football. They will always have the better players.

So how do we compete? By accepting our inability to lure or keep the better players and sitting upper mid-table? This is what we have done for at least a decade now - including the "wonderful" run under MON where he hit the glass ceiling.

If we want to succeed against the bigger clubs, we need to innovate. The problem with innovation is risk. It's high risk, high reward stuff.

And this is where I think Lambert fits in. His focus on younger "hungry" players with an aim to build something better than the sum total in later years is something I don't see any other club doing. It's a big risk, but if we can stay up it should bring about rewards.

Does that make him a Messiah? Nope. Just a man with a plan - one I think that both he and Lerner/Faulkner believe in.

Will it ruin us? Possibly. But the last time I checked, this was a competition - not a roll call of the big 4 then everybody else . We should always aim high, even if it results in failure. After all, we are Aston Villa!

• Like 1

Laudrup was my first choice after the OGS craze died down. Michu for what, £2million? Unbelievable.

Lambert has made some serious errors in regards to sticking with formations that make us ship ridiculous amounts of goals and the unforgivable tactics of playing hoofball up to Benteke against a League 2 side for crying out loud.

He doesn't seem to learn which is worrying. Look at where we are now because of his policy of buying youth from lower leagues, and who is supposedly our first (and possibly only) transfer of the January window? Dale Stephens. I'm not one to judge players before they've put on the shirt, but we are in desperate times right now and youth is not the answer. Any manager worth his salt knows a balance of youth and experience is vital to sustainable success for a Premier League team. Too much of one or the other undoubtedly causes problems.

It's so frustrating watching us make the same mistakes over and over without learning anything. However, with how we are right now, sacking Lambert will achieve nothing. We can't get anyone better in my opinion, and we still have wage bill issues to sort out and high earners who are not contributing to the team.

How is it that we seem to be the only Premier League club who have to buy youth on low wages? We're not the poorest club in the league by a longshot. I would love to meet with Lerner and ask him why we have to have such a policy, yet the Fulhams, Evertons and Swanseas of the league seem not only to be able to survive, but thrive. It's absolutely infuriating and it doesn't make any sense. These last few years are the worst I've ever felt about our club and it seems like it was completely avoidable.

Our trouble run much deeper than Lambert. Something is seriously rotten at this club. Lerner and Faulkner have a lot to answer for and until either one or both of them have gone, I just feel like we are going to make the same mistakes over and over until we are relegated, which unfortunately to me looks like will happen this season.

Our problems are obvious to most fans, yet the people who matter just don't look like they're able to see it. It's frustrating an heartbreaking to feel so powerless and watch your club just sink into the abyss knowing that it could be avoided.

^^ This

It's the startling pace at which & unbelievable length of time that this decimation has occurred over which is mystifying. It's almost as though Randy came in one day & just threw his toys & said

"right thats it... Plan B now everyone & if you don't like it do one!"

I think we all know the long & short of the financial issues etc but it's been done in such a destructive & careless manner with little regard for the fans.. Indeed a whitewash of info decended at the same time don't forget.

This just seems a bit odd to me?

Surely this could have been done but on a not so steep downward curve? After all if we'd finished higher we'd have earned more in prize money thus helping bridge the gap whilst the wages came down......... Odd.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Good or bad we need some continuity down the villa,so sacking him right now would be counter productive if thats possible.

I can't see how we could be possibly be any more of a shambles than we currently are under that mumbling cretin Lambert.

Deep dish, who knows ? That's what his job is about and why he is the best for it

He's the best man to take us down the divisions, certainly, and he's making an excellent fist of it. Our worst manager in over 30 years.

It'll be a cold day in hell when you finally like one of our managers.

I just don't like the shit ones. I loved Taylor, Atkinson, Little and Gregory, even O'Neill for a year or two. Houllier, McLeish and Lambert though, seldom have a more useless set of arsewipes infested a club three years running, and Lambert is easily the worst of the lot.

• Like 2

I just don't like the shit ones. I loved Taylor, Atkinson, Little and Gregory, even O'Neill for a year or two. Houllier, McLeish and Lambert though, seldom have a more useless set of arsewipes infested a club three years running, and Lambert is easily the worst of the lot.

He's had the worst results of the lot. Also the worst squad and just about the least cash, in real terms. He will come good, and hopefully the fans won't have pissed him off too much by then, or he'll jump at the first better offer.

Whether you like him or not, I don't think you or anyone can come up with a realistic alternative right now, although there will no doubt be a few laughable suggestions.