Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Brilliant - and end up with the next batch of Dunne's Zog's Warnock's Sidwell's and Hutton's. It hasnt worked for QPR has it!

Just because we haven't had instant success doesn't mean we should give up straight away

I'd rather build something worthwhile thanks

That takes something that is in short supply, patience

If Lambert sees this Stephens bloke as the answer to our midfield ineptitude i think we are in real trouble

If Taylor sees this Platt bloke as the answer to our midfield ineptitude i think we are in real trouble (taken from VillaTalk 1988)

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 2

If Taylor sees this Platt bloke as the answer to our midfield ineptitude i think we are in real trouble (taken from VillaTalk 1988)

To be fair Platt was brought as a fringe player - and we already had a reasonable midfield. Stephens seem to brought as a solution - I don't have a problem with him coming to bolster the squad - but to get us of the dung, I m not sure.

Like MON? Cos that's pretty much what he did and it only gets you so far. I think if a manager can successfully build a squad for the long term it will be far more beneficial for AVFC. Problem is, it's much harder to do.

But there isn't a long term. Most of the players are signed on 3 or 4 year contracts. So there will always be someone leaving, replacements arriving. Being towards the bottom of table on a regular basis won't help us - even if the players are young. We miss out on gate receipts, massive prize money - and limits the players we can attract.

We need players who can do the business now - not in 3 years time.

tumblr_lim02wyP3r1qz7lxdo1_500.gif

What if he'd said yes?

He would of never have said yes, But IF he did say yes then lerner and faulkner would have the old fail safe in offering them 5k a week, a nearly new rover and a one bed penthouse in hall green.

Couldnt agree terms blah-blah-blah

Edited by sutherland

Brilliant - and end up with the next batch of Dunne's Zog's Warnock's Sidwell's and Hutton's. It hasnt worked for QPR has it!

Just because we haven't had instant success doesn't mean we should give up straight away

I'd rather build something worthwhile thanks

So you are assuming then that the purchase of any experienced Premiership player would turn out in exactly the way those other players you have mentioned did. You didn't mention Milner for instance and why was that? Would it be because he doesn't fit your agenda? Dunne has actually been a very good player for us also.

The other players you mention have been poor acquisitions not because of their experience but due to their lack of quality and therein lies the difference.

He would of never have said yes, But IF he did say yes then lerner and faulkner would have the old fail safe in offering them 5k a week, a nearly new rover and a one bed penthouse in hall green.

Couldnt agree terms blah-blah-blah

Good thinking there. Really good. Very likely. But, then he wouldn't have said yes. IF he'd come here and had an agreement he would've said yes and they couldn't claim that we couldn't reach an agreement. He would of course had come out and said that if he'd said yes in the first place. I think you're clutching here.

For a completely different player? I don't buy it, myself.

Yeah. We were in negotiations with Genk over Benteke, things came to a halt. We put in a bid for Dempsey which was immediately made public (how often are our deals made public that fast?). Benteke then goes on strike and Genk are forced to re-negotiate. We didn't exactly sign another player to play the "Dempsey" role did we? Dunno, maybe i'm just being creative but it's what made sense to me at the time. :D

I could live with a bit more 'here and now'-MON transfer policy at the moment. Buying for the future is all nice and well if you have an established team. We need results NOW not when the likes of Lowton, Westwood and other Bennetts have reached their full potential.

So if Stephens is all we're going for, we'll need a shitload of luck to survive, as again he's for the future

Oh I agree. I think we definitely need a couple of players such as Scott Parker. But i'd rather our general policy to be about building for the future rather than constantly buying players to do a job "now". There needs to be a balance of both IMO. We desperately need balance.

Good thinking there. Really good. Very likely. But, then he wouldn't have said yes. IF he'd come here and had an agreement he would've said yes and they couldn't claim that we couldn't reach an agreement. He would of course had come out and said that if he'd said yes in the first place. I think you're clutching here.

Seriously mate if you ever thought depmsey was gonna come here then you are just muggin yourself off!..

We couldnt get dempsey & makepeace in the hole suite on the big screen!,,

Edited by sutherland

My memory is hazy but Wasnt Platt originally bought in as a second striker to play alongside Rambo?

He then moved into midfield at a later point and proved a success.

To be fair Platt was brought as a fringe player - and we already had a reasonable midfield. Stephens seem to brought as a solution - I don't have a problem with him coming to bolster the squad - but to get us of the dung, I m not sure.

My memory is hazy but Wasnt Platt originally bought in as a second striker to play alongside Rambo?

He then moved into midfield at a later point and proved a success.

i thought we signed him from crewe while we were in the 2nd division?

anyway

we need some experience to go along with the young players being signed, experienced players doesnt equal shit over played players, just as signing young players from lower league doesnt equal shit

why cant people understand there are options other than experience = shit and lots of money?

We Did and we also had Rambo at the time, he didnt really sparkle until the season after when we had returned to Div 1.

Platt took a couple of seasons to come through in our second season back in Div 1.

Well thats how I remember it.

As to lower league bargins : Shawn Teale was bought from then Div 3 Bournmouth.

i thought we signed him from crewe while we were in the 2nd division?

anyway

we need some experience to go along with the young players being signed, experienced players doesnt equal shit over played players, just as signing young players from lower league doesnt equal shit

why cant people understand there are options other than experience = shit and lots of money?

So you are assuming then that the purchase of any experienced Premiership player would turn out in exactly the way those other players you have mentioned did. You didn't mention Milner for instance and why was that? Would it be because he doesn't fit your agenda? Dunne has actually been a very good player for us also.

The other players you mention have been poor acquisitions not because of their experience but due to their lack of quality and therein lies the difference.

Don't worry we won't be buying another Milner - fat chance. For every Milner I can name half a dozen Hutton's, Davis's and Heskey's

The original post I replied to said that we should buy a team that could get us out of trouble this season - Can you not see how short-sighted that is

How do you know he has been tasked with reducing the wage bill. Is it not that its Lambert's philosophy to purchase youth but he did nevertheless put in a bid for Clint Dempsey who would have asked for wages on a par with Bent and Ireland.

Told by someone who is ITK.

Edited by spiezels

Putting out a weakened side is a fairly specific thing where you throw loads of kids in who wouldn't ordinarily play in the first team. Like what Wenger does in the League Cup or what MON did in Moscow. If; say; Lambert puts El Ahmadi back in or puts Given in goal or brings an extra midfielder in to give Weimann or Benteke a rest, that's just squad rotation. It's not what the term 'weakened team' means. I'd also be more critical of him if he didn't make some alterations. I'd hate for the same 11 players to turn out against Southampton that turned out against Bradford. It would worry me more than a bit.

Don't think I've argued against that.

What you've described is a manager rotating a few players taking both competitions as serious as each other.

MON chose one over the other when he picked his Moscow team and I said I'd find it interesting to see the response towards lambert if he does the same.

IMO Dempsey was just a propaganda-fictious bid arranged by lerner and faulkner because knowing full well he wouldnt come here.

We could bid £50m for rooney knowing full well he wouldnt come but it makes some fans think we mean business...

Hell we could even safely bid £250m for messi knowing full well, jack shit aint gonna happen.

Apart from what lerner and faulkner wants... Back page of the mail / express & star to help shift a few season tickets!

And what if Dempsey had said yes? What would Lambert have done then?

Don't worry we won't be buying another Milner - fat chance. For every Milner I can name half a dozen Hutton's, Davis's and Heskey's

The original post I replied to said that we should buy a team that could get us out of trouble this season - Can you not see how short-sighted that is

So we get relegated with kids?