Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The BIG problem with our squad is our appalling midfield, which is probably the weakest in the league. No matter how Lambert chops and changes it having the likes of Bannan, Ireland, Delph, and KEA to select from is just **** awful. Westwood is unproven but has shown glimpses of quality. However, our "engine room" doesn't help the team defend or attack. Lambert should have seen this by now and hopefully will bring in 2 players of QUALITY in January. We need a big DM to play with Westwood and an ACM who can run at defenders and create chances for Benteke and Bent to play together.

Until our midfield is sorted it doesn't matter who is in charge. The biggest disgrace of the last 3 seasons is that no manager who has come in has rectified it.

• Like 3

I remember people saying at the time once Lambert left Norwich to come here that Norwich would be relegation candidates even some of the Norwich fans were worried at the time.

How things change .. we are now relegation candidates and Norwich seem to be doing much better without him.

• Like 1

Who else could he have picked today??? How could he have changed things???

Unfortunately, Lambert is currently down to the bare bones of a squad, yes - his initial formation was wrong and has been for the past three matches but with the personnel available what was he to do? We had one CB on the pitch, with a RB and a utility player making up the other two.

How many of Vlaar, Dunne, Baker, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor and Bent would have made a difference today? Arguably every single one of them.

They could arguably have all made a difference but Lambert certainly would not have played most of them. The only ones that would have started would have been Vlaar and Gabby. Bent before his injury was already behind Benteke, Gabby and Weimann. NZogbia was hardly featuring. Baker is 3rd/4th choice and Vlaar if fit would have started alongside Clark. Dunne was injured in pre season and Lambert knew he would be out for 3 months but still chose not to sign another experienced centre back even if only a short term loan.

Injuries are not the reason we find ourselves in deep shit leaking goals left right and centre and the lowest scorers in the division creating **** all. The reason for that is that due to cost cutting and Lamberts decision to try to mould a team around players that come though our ranks and signing players that are unproven at anything like this level is simply not working.

The BIG problem with our squad is our appalling midfield, which is probably the weakest in the league. No matter how Lambert chops and changes it having the likes of Bannan, Ireland, Delph, and KEA to select from is just **** awful. Westwood is unproven but has shown glimpses of quality. However, our "engine room" doesn't help the team defend or attack. Lambert should have seen this by now and hopefully will bring in 2 players of QUALITY in January. We need a big DM to play with Westwood and an ACM who can run at defenders and create chances for Benteke and Bent to play together.

Until our midfield is sorted it doesn't matter who is in charge. The biggest disgrace of the last 3 seasons is that no manager who has come in has rectified it.

This.

Calling for Lambert's head just is not the answer. Every manager since I started following Villa seriously has had his detractors, and not just a few. At some point we have to get a manager who has an excellent track record (someone like, say, Lambert) and just give him the support he needs to **** well get on with the job.

Based on?

We're not getting dicked with our full strength squad available maybe? Bare bones = formation neccesity and the available players aren't good enough as a collective ensemble - put them alongside our senior players, when they're fit and playing again and we'll do more than ok.

Apologies if this goes against the negative grain.

We have Paul Lambert in charge of our merry band of men and an owner who is backing him.... And then some.

There is absolutely no evidence so far to say that Lambert is not going to be backed (and then some). Come back at the end of January and we can debate the point based on what is actually happening, rather than what three bad results are telling you is happening.

I am not going to say something stupid about Paul Lambert and wishing him gone, because I don't, and besides nobody would do better with this squad right about now. He made his nest and now he has to show everyone what kind of manager he is, the pressure on him is going to be immense for every single game. A cup run will not change the fact at all, if we win the cup and go down, I would find no comfort in that feat. If I could take 17th now and a loss in the cup vs. a cup win and 17th before the last game of the season on equal points, I would def. take the first.

Anyway, today was no doubt the first time when Randy Lerner's fuse began to burn with regards to Lambert's contract with Aston Villa. A period of bad results from hereon and he is sacked, like everyone else would be. I am pretty sure Lerner realizes the problems and he would not like to miss the cash coming in next season from the PL TV-rights, so I expect a few signings, at least the money will be there IMO.

There is absolutely no evidence so far to say that Lambert is not going to be backed (and then some). Come back at the end of January and we can debate the point based on what is actually happening, rather than what three bad results are telling you is happening.

i do agree. Although Lerner has one window for me to prove that my easing back on the criticism and faith in the then some message was not misplaced.

We have Paul Lambert in charge of our merry band of men and an owner who is backing him.... And then some.

What has Lambert done for anyone associated with villa to have faith in him? He appears to have completely lost the plot, alienated the senior players and shot the confidence of the younger players. Also I don't see anything merry about the team unless your suggesting they play pissed which may then explain why we are shit.

• Like 1

I remember people saying at the time once Lambert left Norwich to come here that Norwich would be relegation candidates even some of the Norwich fans were worried at the time.

How things change .. we are now relegation candidates and Norwich seem to be doing much better without him.

Wouldn't want him back now, our squad seem happier with Hughton and his tactics.......as you say, how things change.

Is there anyone left who believes there will be a magical turnaround second half of the season? If anything we look like we're getting worse and it seems like he's losing the fans.

Yes there are a couple of posters on here who, no matter what shit befalls us, are eternal optimists and think that the second half of the season will be much better. Some people even think we will finish mid table.