Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Long-term Villa's potential is much bigger than Norwich. Despite the fact we are cutting our wage bill and spending less than Norwich we are still well ahead of them in the table.

Edited by PaulC

Well it gets asked on here often. What I would say is I understand in a way why they do because he has left a smaller club to join a much bigger club but the smaller club he left spends more money than the bigger club he joined :P :P :P It's one of them!!! :P :P

lol well yeah I guess that is understandable then, and also hugely disappointing. I understand where the club was coming from in really fixing all the spending mistakes of previous eras, but if he isn't backed next summer at least by actually being able to spend his current budget but on two or 3 players then that will be me giving up on the current regime set in place by the owners and I wouldn't blame PL leaving to find a club with more ambition.

I've always thought that everything is in place at Villa to go as far as you want to - but you need the backing to achieve it. PL can't be expected to contiunally find hidden gems.

Well it gets asked on here often. What I would say is I understand in a way why they do because he has left a smaller club to join a much bigger club but the smaller club he left spends more money than the bigger club he joined :P :P :P It's one of them!!! :P :P

HH - I understand the need to balance the books especially after the MON era, and it's unfortunate that PL has to suffer the consequences. What many of us would like to know is how long do we need to continue balancing the books before we can invest in players that are more likely to have an immediate impact on the first team? 

I think if we felt once the likes of Hutton, Ireland and Given are off the books then the investment will step up a notch then we'd be a little more relaxed.

Lambert out this summer, Pardew already lined up. Don't shoot the messenger.

Only Sylla and Benteke to remain in the squad, potentially KEA if he scrubs up his French a bit more.

N'Zogbia be back in the frame ;)

• Like 1

Exactly. I can see through the academy idea but sure he really isnt giving anyone of them a sniff yet

I remember several months ago BJ10 being slated in another thread because he felt that several of our academy players although winning a competition may still not come through to the first team and none of them have yet and are not likely to for the foreseeable future unless our injury list falls into crisis.

Its fine that our academy is being revered by the fans but we must start producing Premiership players from that if Lambert or our next manager is going into the transfer market on a pittance.  

I remember several months ago BJ10 being slated in another thread because he felt that several of our academy players although winning a competition may still not come through to the first team and none of them have yet and are not likely to for the foreseeable future unless our injury list falls into crisis.

Its fine that our academy is being revered by the fans but we must start producing Premiership players from that if Lambert or our next manager is going into the transfer market on a pittance.

For this top academy(which it is) how long has it been since one of them has secured a good run in the first team/bench

I think it's more realistic to accept that our better academy players will be sold for fees of around £2-3m such as Craig Gardner which in turn funds the academy in the hope that the odd player comes through and enhances the first team. Those that aren't sold on tend to slip down the pyramid and find their natural level. There will always be the exception but I've always seen the academy as a means to generate funds rather than supplement the first team.

The demand for instant success and the need to remain in the premier league for the revenue it generates dictates that there isn't the time or patience to develop too many. I had high hopes for Carruthers after his cameo appearance at Anfield a couple of seasons ago but he hasn't featured since then. 

I am pretty sure Grealish will get game time when he comes back. He is playing very well in a very poor team. He has also been outstanding for the Irish u-21s.

This has not gone unnoticed.

I think we've fallen into the trap into believing the hype about our youth system over the years.  We've had a few who've flattered to deceive, eg Steven Davis, Albrighton, Delfouneso, B*nn*n, but nobody since Gary Cahill (leave it!) who's gone on to be a Premier League regular. Compare that to the conveyor belt of talent that is Southampton (Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain) and even West Ham over the years.

For this top academy(which it is) how long has it been since one of them has secured a good run in the first team/bench

clark, baker, weimann, gabby?

albrighton? herd?

then Con would point out Bannan was vital in our prem league survival too ;)

Then there's Gardner who's been unlucky with injury and will hopefully get some time on the pitch soon, plus a new crop in Burke, Drennan, Donacien, Grealish, DJ etc. not saying they'll all make it but even if only one or two do it's a success.

We're also a little harsh on ourselves.  Why forget Agbonlahor in that list?  And if we're really going to include Gareth Bale who joined Southampton at the age of 16 then we can include Gareth Barry for Villa (what's good for the goose ...).

Plus they nicked Theo Walcott from Swindon Town.

I remember several months ago BJ10 being slated in another thread because he felt that several of our academy players although winning a competition may still not come through to the first team and none of them have yet and are not likely to for the foreseeable future unless our injury list falls into crisis. Its fine that our academy is being revered by the fans but we must start producing Premiership players from that if Lambert or our next manager is going into the transfer market on a pittance.
clark, baker, weimann, gabby? albrighton? herd? then Con would point out Bannan was vital in our prem league survival too ;) Then there's Gardner who's been unlucky with injury and will hopefully get some time on the pitch soon, plus a new crop in Burke, Drennan, Donacien, Grealish, DJ etc. not saying they'll all make it but evenonly one or two do it's a success.
These players u mention were all starting to get a look in at least 3 years. My point we havent had any youth come through in the past 3 years Edited by HeyAnty

Despite today's totally depressing set back I still have 100% confidence in the Paul Lambert project.

Sometimes you have to take a couple of steps backward before you can move forward again.

The bigger picture needs to win out here & I hope the majority of fans still buy into this.

Patience is a virtue & patience is the key. I hate the waiting too but it will be worth it in the end. Today's result & performance is par for the course as is the opposite extremeties of a win at the Emirates & a home win against Man City.

The truth for now lies somewhere in the middle & that is most probably where we will finish for a couple of seasons until the project really bears fruit.

patience, patience, patience.

I just can't see him magically turning into a manager who plays proper football. He didn't with Colchester or Norwich, and he doesn't with us. It's absolutely excruciating to watch the dross he serves up.

I'm not sure how qualified we are to judge the style of football lambert put on at Norwich or Colchester.

In fact I hadn't watch a Paul lambert side play until Norwich got promoted to the Prem.

I'd really hoped we'd adopt the Real Madrid Galacticos "Zidanes y Pavones" philosphy but obviously in a much smaller budget. 

Southampton is doing exactly this atm and it's working very well.

For this to work we obviously need a more fluid wage structure and managers who doesn't buy third division players instead of using the young players already at the club.

So there be no confusion i blame Lerner for setting the budget and Lambert for not spending it in a effective way