Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Made the right choices and we got a decent result

Agree. Now is not the time to post about how people would have reacted and put other forum members down by saying "if this happened, this would happen" now is a time to relax and accept a good draw.

Actually, many of us are posting about how people did react. Lambert's getting slated for not starting Delph, Gabby and Weimann but it's blatantly obvious that they didn't start because they weren't fully fit.
The looked fine when they came on.

They may not have lasted 90 mins but they were clearly fit enough to start.

Gabby was blowing put of his arse after 20 mins. You wanted him to start and get subbed off after half an hour? Crazy.

For those that criticise Lambert for saying we played well and such after games in which some of us believe we didn't play well at all, here is an interview that Vlaar had with The Sun:

"He lets us know in private but I cannot think of one instance since I've been here where he has criticised any of us in public," he told The Sun.

"He always protects his players and that is appreciated within the dressing room.

"He would rather take the blame himself than blame one of us in front of the fans.

"It's really helped us through some difficult times."

"We all know managers who will take pressure off themselves by criticising players publicly," he said.

"But ours is always easy and relaxed when he talks to the media about us and we trust him.

"That's what we did last year and we managed to avoid relegation. This year we've learned from our mistakes and so we are aiming higher."

Probably a wise philosophy as this team is inexperienced and young(ish), as long as it works i guess it's ok. Even thou he look's like an moron claming we were excellent despite not being able to string 2 passes together and having 35-40% possession against the likes of Hull & West Ham. Now we know why...

It would also explain why he claims some players cost a lot less than the clubs figures claim they did, he's just trying to protect them from pressure

I don't know what it is about Lambert, but I always feel really indifferent about him. I don't like him or loathe him. I don't think I've ever felt like this about one of our managers. It's weird because I look at him on the touch line and it's almost like my brain doesn't associate him with this club properly.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 3

With WBA losing we are 10th in the league. I think that's the best we can really expect from Lambert currently.

This certainly looks like a no frills mid table season. We regularly pick up points against the bottom half teams so there's no issue of fighting relegation but equally there's already a 4 point gap to just 9th and Spurs and Newcastle could be 7 clear of us by half 7 so looks like we're going to be stuck in 10-11th all season which after the last 3 seasons may not be a bad thing.

The issue remains....when a few more of the high earners leave hopefully in the summer (I think that will be Bent and CNZ) and Benteke potentially leaves (bringing in 20m +) will Lambert be given the majority of that to really push us on and get us challenging the top 6 or will he have to feed on scraps still? We've seen before replacing good players who've left that might nt be a wise move.

The other issue I have aswell is does Lambert have enough nous himself to push us back competiting for top 6? I'd say he's doing a steady job for us. I wouldn't call it outstanding as outstanding would be overperforming with another 5-6 points on the board e.g. where Southampton are and where Newcastle will probably be if they win tonight.

Liked his response today, more honest for a change. It isn't pretty at the moment, and I think our front 3 are yet to click this season, but we aren't losing, appear more solid and we are giving it a go, just isn't clicking up front yet.

I mean 10th in the league and numerous clean sheets, I'd have snatched your hand off for that last season.

I think it'll be a very meh season but I'll take that over a stomach churning dog fight any day of the weekweek.

Don't know. Exact team I would've picked. Subs were okay, might have brought Benteke off earlier but that's always a hard choice.

Same story really. No one to sit right outside of the 18 to make things happen. Grealish? Carruthers? Transfer?

Has to be someone