Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I think should be aiming for 10 points from the next 8 games. 24 points from the first half of the season would be an ok return. We tend to have a better second half of the season so could finish well into the 40's maybe even the 50's point mark. Here's hoping!

Wouldn't say we tend to have a better second part of the season, 

We had it last season thankfully,and kinda with Houllier/McAllister but during O'Neill and McLeish that certainly wasn't the case

I think should be aiming for 10 points from the next 8 games

Doable even being conservative IMO

WBA (A) - Draw

Sunderland (H) - Win

Southampton (A) - Loss

Fulham (A) - Win

Man Utd (H) - Loss

Stoke (A) - Draw

Palace (H) - Win

Swansea (H) - Loss

That'd be 11 from those 8, having us on 25 after 19 played which is a reasonable enough mid table return

I think should be aiming for 10 points from the next 8 games. 24 points from the first half of the season would be an ok return. We tend to have a better second half of the season so could finish well into the 40's maybe even the 50's point mark. Here's hoping!

We had it last season thankfully,and kinda with Houllier/McAllister but during O'Neill and McLeish that certainly wasn't the case

Maybe it's a Lambert thing. We are a completely different team now then the players we had under O'Neill and even McLeish. 

Maybe it's a Lambert thing. We are a completely different team now then the players we had under O'Neill and even McLeish. 

Let's hope so

I think should be aiming for 10 points from the next 8 games

Doable even being conservative IMO

WBA (A) - Draw

Sunderland (H) - Win

Southampton (A) - Loss

Fulham (A) - Win

Man Utd (H) - Loss

Stoke (A) - Draw

Palace (H) - Win

Swansea (H) - Loss

That'd be 11 from those 8, having us on 25 after 19 played which is a reasonable enough mid table return

Seems realistic. Too realistic...

Today I thought we looked tense until we scored and you could sense the relief in the players after Bacunas goal.

Lambert deserves credit for how we have tightened up at the back but there is now work to be done further forward. We are very predictable and are now lumping it forward far too regularly and by passing our midfield. I doubt very much this is how Lambert wants to play and we are most definitely a work in progress. He will get it right but some significant backing in January to bring in a creative midfielder would help no end.

• Like 1

Looking at the league table there is only West Brom and Southampton that we could realistically suggest we could be above of having played 6 of the top 7. Are we really struggling as much as some are suggesting?

Interestingly Swansea who everyone lauds for their style of play and ability have had difficult but arguably easier fixtures and are sat 3 points below us.

• Like 1

I just think all this is uneeded and slightly OTT criticism. We have clearly become a harder team to break down, and have tightened up defensively. However this has come at the expense of not being the attacking force we were at the end of last season. Yet we still could have easily collected more points than we had. If Tekkers header goes in against spurs, you'd fancy us for a draw, if we put our chances away against Everton we have the game wrapped up after 20mins. If Tekkers header is an inch lower at west ham or the keeper doesn't make a great save we win again. We are creating chances, but yeah it hasn't been great viewing, it's finding the balance that will come as the season porgresses.

We had Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool within a week, coming away with 3 points and our heads help high performances wise. Bad game against Newcastle, then Man city and spurs, 3 points and missed chances, grounded out a point away to Hull, again with chances not taken, that pattern has continued up untill now.

I'm just not seeing everyone elses panic and criticism.

I love these analogies. Completely ignore the chances the opposition had, eg Lukaku missing a one-on-one and Barkley hitting the bar in the first half against Everton. But we should have been 3-0 up at half time, right?

Then, because we create one decent chance at 1-0 down v Spurs, we should have got a draw.

Talk about claret and blue specs.

So how does the opposition's chances negate ours? And besides those chances for Everton came about after our 3 gilt-edged chances that should've buried them for good.

They dont negate ours, but if you work on the basis our chances could have gone in on another day, so could theirs, meaning it could have been about 3-2 at half time on another day, not 3-0.

Looking at the league table there is only West Brom and Southampton that we could realistically suggest we could be above of having played 6 of the top 7. Are we really struggling as much as some are suggesting?

Interestingly Swansea who everyone lauds for their style of play and ability have had difficult but arguably easier fixtures and are sat 3 points below us.

I think Swansea play wonderful football but do not have our quality of attackers. I would love to have their midfield mind.

4 clean sheets in the league this season, only got 5 all last year...

Our defense this season compared with last is like night and day.

Yep. Big improvements in defence this season. I think bacuna has really helped in this area.

With regards to the style of play, I think he's got his hands tied a little bit at the moment with players like Delph, Gabby, Weimann and Luna all out.

The style of play was the same recently with those players in.

Three games ago we played Everton and played pretty good. This is the game recently played with those players in.

Has our style of play been good this season?

I didn't think one game represented the season so far.

I'm not saying it's been good. Certainly not like the end of last season—but actually even in that run after January we had some ropey performances, Stoke, QPR, Wigan, Norwich, to think of just a few. It was a Lowton wonder goal then that beat Stoke, and nobody was pouring doom on the situation after that game. 

We're inconsistent. I'm surprised you're not used to it. I don't think that much has changed! Only that we're more solid now, and more difficult to beat. We're also getting results when we have big players out injured, which we never did last season. 

We have played well at times this season and you make out like it's never happened. We haven't been consistent, but we weren't consistent last season. We're 5 points and about 7 places better off than this time last season having played better teams, and all on a crazy budget. 

That's what I'm on board with. We're improving. We look more solid. Once Benteke's up and running again, we'll have that to look forwards to. 

Compared to the period with McLeish we are making positive steps. Long may it continue. We need some more quality though, and I think that will come over time. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Well i refuse to get carried away with talk of 7th or 8th as so many people seem to after a win 

There's going to be a couple of wins max between 15th and 8th, so it's really up for grabs. Sure even last season we could well have finished in 9th despite being 2nd last for a good chunk of the season

• Like 1

Well i refuse to get carried away with talk of 7th or 8th as so many people seem to after a win 

There's going to be a couple of wins max between 15th and 8th, so it's really up for grabs. Sure even last season we could well have finished in 9th despite being 2nd last for a good chunk of the season

Yep,  people seem to forget just how close all of the midtable also ran's are at the end of the season. 8th place is easily achievable if we bring in a couple of good players in January, get knocked out of the FA cup early or can avoid injuries to key players.

Who was the poster a few pages back who said Cardiff were going to stroll to a 3 nil win like Wigan did last season? Oh dear.

The reality is we're joint 9th with a much easier 11 games coming up than we've just had. It's not amazing but I'm happy with the progress being made. There are teams below us with much bigger problems than we have so I don't see any sort of relegation battle being an issue, we are much better than these teams this season. It shouldn't be impossible to finish top 10 this season and I would be satisfied with that.

Now a justifiable criticism is way the standard of football we're playing has declined rapidly from the run in last season when we were good to watch. It can't all be down to midfield playmaker as we didn't have one that.

With regards to the style of play, I think he's got his hands tied a little bit at the moment with players like Delph, Gabby, Weimann and Luna all out.

Not sure on that Manis, I believe all 4 started in the Newcastle, Norwich and Hull games, all terrible matches.

Something clicked from Feb onwards and we were happy good to watch in the midst of a relegation battle. Don't understand why things have regressed home and away.

I think Swansea play wonderful football but do not have our quality of attackers. I would love to have their midfield mind.

Swans have Michu and Bony.

I think they're just struggling from combing Europe and the league as many smaller squads do.

Not complaining as they're a team I thought would certainly finish above us at the start of the season.

One step at a time, weve just gone 7+ hours without scoring and got a late win vs cardiff at home and theres talk of 8th straight afterwards.. See where are after this run of games and we'll have an idea.