Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Where are Bof's sources for his "year 2 project" stuff?

I think I've figured it out. It's complicated, but bear with me.

Lambert took the job before the start of last season.

It's now the 2nd season.

Top post. Incredibly well reasoned.

• Like 1

Well I nearly agree with everything Richard and BOF said - especially about PL's project here.

Dont think it is fair or there is any evidience that MOn deliberately walked out at a time to maximise damage - I think there was a 'last straw' from his point of view - and I did enjoy the MON years.

As regards a lot of fans turning on PL - I am sorry to say I think that is absolutely true.  But the crucial thing is that this says far far more about the mentality those 'fans' than it does about PL.  Hopefully he, the players, and the owner, are aware enough of the tendency amongst modern football fans to throw their toys out of their collective prams when they dont like something to treat it with the complete indifference it will deserve.  See Wenger, Moyes, Villas Boas, to name just three who have already suffred the baying at the moon response this season.

Most of his direct quotes are around how the players are progressing and about how hard they're working. About how they're not there yet but that they're receptive and that he can't fault their effort. He does use words like excellent too but I don't think you can criticise someone for bigging up his players and making them feel good about themselves. The important stuff happens on the training ground. They know what's required of them. If I had to choose, I'd much rather hear a manager being overly complimentary about his players than the kind of thing O'Leary used to come out with.

• Like 2

Well I nearly agree with everything Richard and BOF said - especially about PL's project here.

Dont think it is fair or there is any evidience that MOn deliberately walked out at a time to maximise damage - I think there was a 'last straw' from his point of view - and I did enjoy the MON years.

As regards a lot of fans turning on PL - I am sorry to say I think that is absolutely true.  But the crucial thing is that this says far far more about the mentality those 'fans' than it does about PL.  Hopefully he, the players, and the owner, are aware enough of the tendency amongst modern football fans to throw their toys out of their collective prams when they dont like something to treat it with the complete indifference it will deserve See Wenger, Moyes, Villas Boas, to name just three who have already suffred the baying at the moon response this season.

I dont think he walked to maximise damage,  if that is my inference then I have worded that bit badly.  I think,  like you,  it was a straw too far!

On the bit I have made bold and underlined,  you have no worries chap !

He told O'Neill continually that he had to bring the wages under control at some point because it was unsustainable at its current level. Transfer window after transfer window, Lerner to his own detriment continued to fund O'Neill's purchases beyond the point that was reasonable or sensible.

If true what a weak and pathetic owner who had no balls to stand up to a man he employs or thought about the future of his investment.

Since then, through Houllier's tenure and McLeish's tenure we have tried to bring the running costs of the club back down to a level commensurate with our income

Like signing a 35 year old keeper on a massive 5 year deal? Or give Stephen Ireland a £70,000 a week contract when no manager was around.

Your first theory would have more credibility if we didn't continue to do what we did under MoN for two more years. Also again look at the damage the owner did, while trying to bring spending down we have to pay £16 million in compensation due to the owners terrible mistakes.

I agree with other parts of your post but most of it is based on this rather hopeful assumption that the current owner want anything more than surviving on the cheap.

Unfortunatley I can see the fans turning on lambert before they turn on Lerner.

I've become a bit disillusioned and moany recently but I must say the last few posts (BOF and Richard in particular) have calmed me down and refocused me a bit. It's just hard to go from top 6 every season to relegation battle every season, so you have to understand why fans are getting frustrated. Even now it's a bit of a culture shock how far we have fallen. I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact that, rather than chasing Europe and being respected by fans, we have to be content to just make up the numbers in the PL and be that claret and blue thing that just doesn't seem to go down.

Lambert and this 'project' does have my full support. But that support is caveated with the fact that I still feel Lerner has ruined us and needs to redeem himself and that Lambert does need to sort his tactics out at times because we are just far too negative on the pitch at the mo.

• Like 1

Rule 1: Don't slag off your young players in front of the worlds media. Have a word behind closed doors.

No, Rule 1. Be honest but fair with your players.

It is possible to be supportive of young players but still realistic about their performances, and arguably that does not mislead them into thinking they are better than they really are.

Do we think Houllier calling Bannan his "little Messi", or whatever nonsense he came out with, did Bannan much good in the long term?

I would say rule 2 is don't treat the fans like fools.

Lambert thought the point against West Ham was a "massive" achievement and "brilliant". Is he really expecting fans to swallow such spin without raising an eyebrow?

[Judging by some of the comments above, yes, and maybe he is succeeding!  ;) ]

• Like 1

No, Rule 1. Be honest but fair with your players.

It is possible to be supportive of young players but still realistic about their performances, and arguably that does not mislead them into thinking they are better than they really are.

I'd say the communication between them on the training ground is a far more accurate and meaningful gauge to the players of what the manager thinks of them, rather than some obligatory interview he has to give for the official site full of rhetoric and clichéd quotes. That doesn't mean he's not bollocking them when they need it behind closed doors. He just isn't doing it in public. Again, good sensible management.

Lambert thought the point against West Ham was a "massive" achievement and "brilliant".

Well no, strictly speaking he didn't say either of those things, which makes your subsequent comment of fans swallowing spin incorrect from the off. He actually called it "another massive point for us away from home". Not a "massive achievement". And the only use of the word 'brilliant' was in the context of how we competed given our injuries. It wasn't used to describe the point we got. It makes it hard to discuss when people are just making stuff up :-/

Most of his direct quotes are around how the players are progressing and about how hard they're working. About how they're not there yet but that they're receptive and that he can't fault their effort. He does use words like excellent too but I don't think you can criticise someone for bigging up his players and making them feel good about themselves. The important stuff happens on the training ground. They know what's required of them. If I had to choose, I'd much rather hear a manager being overly complimentary about his players than the kind of thing O'Leary used to come out with. 

It is all part of changing the culture of the club. I believe communication is an important aspect in managing a football club and can certainly help towards creating a positive mood around the club. I like the way Lambert interacts with the media, it makes a refreshing change from previous managers; PL tries to stay upbeat and rarely make excuses about a performance/result; PL has also been honest and realistic with supporters about the current team and long term plan for the club.

Edited by GENTLEMAN