Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Anyone know what our stats are like regarding defending set pieces? If you concede as many as we did on Saturday the law of averages suggests we will concede a goal. Have we really not progressed from Dec/Jan/Feb when we were utterly atrocious? 

We've conceded 3 from set pieces this season in the league.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Interestingly Villa have not been equalised against this season. We have not dropped any points from winning positions and in fact gained 6 points from losing positions.

• Like 2

That first stat is helped slightly by the fact that we've only opened the scoring on one occasion this season. Our ability to come back though is a very good thing. Considering we usually have to come back.

That first stat is helped slightly by the fact that we've only opened the scoring on one occasion this season. Our ability to come back though is a very good thing. Considering we usually have to come back.

Agreed but also a sign of how we can shut out a lead. Norwich had 60 minutes to peg us back and didn't. Arsenal had 70 minutes after we equalised, we had 20 minutes to stop City's attack from netting and we have. Considering when our winners were scored (Arsenal 61m Norwich 30min, City 75min) we haven't actually looked too bad, I was almost confident after we took the lead in the latter two games, once we scored in all of them we settled and tightened. Newcastle and Chelsea we came from behind to net an equaliser before a bit of a sucker punch winner, deserved in Newcastle's case, outrageous in Chelsea's case.

I just think we have more steel.

• Like 1

I know a lot on here hate it, but I've always been a fan of 5-3-2. I think it certainly suits our current group of full backs best as I'm not convinced with Luna/Bennett/Lowton all that much defensively. 3 CMs and 3 CBs even against someone with the quality of City meant they did absolutely nothing through the middle, their only real chances came from set peices and efforts from distance. Also allowed us to stick 2 up front at all times and keep pressure on their defenders.

Only negatives I really saw we're the fullback and winger doubling up on our wingback, but then if the CMs are shifting over to the side with the ball then it really shouldn't be an issue and that will come with games. If the opposition do this, like City did, you can see what'll happen with our 3rd - you're leaving you're 2 CBs 2v2 against our front men.

I doubt we'll keep at it for long, especially when most of our forwards are fit, but it's a decent backup system that can clearly work.

• Like 2

I know a lot on here hate it, but I've always been a fan of 5-3-2. I think it certainly suits our current group of full backs best as I'm not convinced with Luna/Bennett/Lowton all that much defensively. 3 CMs and 3 CBs even against someone with the quality of City meant they did absolutely nothing through the middle, their only real chances came from set peices and efforts from distance. Also allowed us to stick 2 up front at all times and keep pressure on their defenders.

Only negatives I really saw we're the fullback and winger doubling up on our wingback, but then if the CMs are shifting over to the side with the ball then it really shouldn't be an issue and that will come with games. If the opposition do this, like City did, you can see what'll happen with our 3rd - you're leaving you're 2 CBs 2v2 against our front men.

I doubt we'll keep at it for long, especially when most of our forwards are fit, but it's a decent backup system that can clearly work.

I've got mixed feelings-Both formations have worked well for us. I said earlier, I wouldn't like to drop one out of Gabby & Weiman as I love the threat that a 3 pronged attack brings. By the same token, the 3 centre backs looked so solid on Saturday. Both have many pluses & minuses.

They only really threatened down their left, Milner was very quiet on the other side. If anything, this is the only disadvantage with 3 in midfield & maybe it suited Newcastle the other week.

I've got mixed feelings-Both formations have worked well for us. I said earlier, I wouldn't like to drop one out of Gabby & Weiman as I love the threat that a 3 pronged attack brings. By the same token, the 3 centre backs looked so solid on Saturday. Both have many pluses & minuses.

They only really threatened down their left, Milner was very quiet on the other side. If anything, this is the only disadvantage with 3 in midfield & maybe it suited Newcastle the other week.

This can only mean one thing... 3-4-3!!!

• Like 1

That sounds awesome when Villa are at home against weaker sides to be honest. Delph and el ahmadi in the middle, back three is obvious, either lowton or bacuna on the right with Luna on the left and weimann/tonev/helenius, benteke and gabby. Might be a disaster but I'm intrigued

• Like 2

Anyone has stats for our possession this year ?! Compared to other team ?!

In the premier league site we seem to have under 40% for our games against Arsenal , Chelsea , Norwich and City .. While 48% Against Liverpool and 54% Against Newcastle .. 

That sounds awesome when Villa are at home against weaker sides to be honest. Delph and el ahmadi in the middle, back three is obvious, either lowton or bacuna on the right with Luna on the left and weimann/tonev/helenius, benteke and gabby. Might be a disaster but I'm intrigued

Might change to it during the game .. But I won't prefer to start with this formation .. Although could consider it as I said ..

Anyone has stats for our possession this year ?! Compared to other team ?!

In the premier league site we seem to have under 40% for our games against Arsenal , Chelsea , Norwich and City .. While 48% Against Liverpool and 54% Against Newcastle ..

I looked on whoscored.com yesterday, probably the best stat site, and they had Villa comfortably last and I think it was under 40%.

The counter attacking style is really beginning to piss me off, if that's all Lambert can do he's a limited manager and no better than MON tactically. I wanted Lambert as our manager for a long time, but he's got to do better because I'm starting to doubt him.

We can play well together to dominate a team, we did it in the closing stages of games last year (Sunderland in particular), but it hasn't clicked for us this season.

We haven't really had an opportunity so far this season given our run of fixtures and quality of opposition. It'll come.

I'm still 100% percent with Lambo, this is his squad now. He needs at least a full year with it.

My two main disappointments with him have been Bradford at home last year, and Newcastle at home this year. He arguably panicked under the pressure of VP and ruined the team removing any continuity.

Might change to it during the game .. But I won't prefer to start with this formation .. Although could consider it as I said ..

Been an advocate of a 3-4-3 variation ever since the Newcastle debacle. Lambert needs to be brave and bold in order to find a way to beat teams. Glad he did it on Saturday, admittedly without seeing much if the ball but apart from two lapses from two different players it was an incredible disciplined display from the team. Guz had little to save with Man City having to shoot from distance.