Paul Lambert

Pilchard

considering I joined up to VT in January time last season, when all our hearts were in the middle of being ripped out by Chelsea, Spurs, Wigan, Bradford and finally Millwall, it's nice to see that in 8 months in this thread we've gone from real despair and questioning what's going on to discussing whether or not Lambert's the best thing since filofaxes and mobile phones :)

Sort of says it all really

some of us have been saying he was the best thing since folifaxes and mobile phones before ,  during and after our poor run

• Like 2

O'Leary did a superb job in his first season.  It was only some poor refereeing decisions in the final game that stopped us qualifying for Europe, and we weren't far off the Champions League placings.

I should add at this point, that he was a pig-faced numpty and is my least favourite Villa manager ever.

DOL was dead jammy at Leeds because he simply inherited a great foundation that was put there by George Graham.

He was an appalling Villa manager who was totally & completely out of touch with the feel & heart beat of the Club & it is no coincidence that his managerial career crashed & burned when his inadequacies were laid bear for all to see during  his ignominious Villa park tenure. 

No I wouldn't say Dolly was a appalling Villa manager. The first season went way ahead of expectations and he had to manage that from there on afterwards. On a small budget he got a 6th place finish and if I remember, we were in the hunt for a top 4 right til the last game. The second season was a mid table 10th, but we never looked liked being in a relegation battle and occasionally dabbled in a UEFA cup hunt. I think most Villa fans would take a 10th this year.  The last season was poor but I think the general malaise in the background with Ellis got to O'Leary. He was given some money to spend and did not deliver at all, coming 16th. I still dont know what happened with all those villa player press releases after the season, very strange. I would say at the best times under O'Leary the Villa played better passing football than under the direct 442 of O'Neill, who had miles more money to spend.

The main problem in this era of 24 media, was his personality. He never seem to take to the club. He always went on about his Leeds or Arsenal days. He always talked down the club, and when we had the bad year in 2005-2006, he had no fan support.He was ruined after Villa after being seen as a bright young manager just 3 years before. Take note Paul.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Agree with most of that TFF.  He really must be the biggest arse in football, to have never got another proper job after us.  Lots of managers have far worse records than his when he was with us, and in terms of Leeds, I think most people blame Ridsdale rather than O'Leary. 

Agree with most of that TFF.  He really must be the biggest arse in football, to have never got another proper job after us.  Lots of managers have far worse records than his when he was with us, and in terms of Leeds, I think most people blame Ridsdale rather than O'Leary. 

Yep. He did some good things at Villa. He worked with a lot of the players he inherited. He brought in Laursen, Bouma, Aaron Hughes and Solano for little money. He got the best out of Hendrie before his career hit the skids. He promoted the youth, he played Ridgewell Barry, Davis, Cahill and gave Gabby his debut.He was the only manager to play Angel the ball to feet at Villa, and he scored over 20 goals. Shame he was a prat or it could have worked out wonderfully. I do think Lambert 'gets' Villa much more though.

considering I joined up to VT in January time last season, when all our hearts were in the middle of being ripped out by Chelsea, Spurs, Wigan, Bradford and finally Millwall, it's nice to see that in 8 months in this thread we've gone from real despair and questioning what's going on to discussing whether or not Lambert's the best thing since filofaxes and mobile phones :)

Sort of says it all really

some of us have been saying he was the best thing since folifaxes and mobile phones before ,  during and after our poor run

Lol, I joined up to stick up for what I thought I saw he was doing with us then and i haven't changed a bit since, my heart and my head had to have a bit of a chat after the Millwall game I seem to recall but the head won the argument and through it all I wanted him to be given a few years in charge more than anyone since MON for sure. Its just nice to see nearly everyone on the same page in such a relatively short space of time. I LOVE the fact that the crowd stuck with him and we didnt descend into a Blackburnesque implosion. In fact it's my favourite thing about the whole season, more than Lowtons goal even.

"It's a results business" what business isn't?

That statement is a kinda euphemism for dismissing every other responsibility of attracting fans in to a stadiums.

Fans want to win first granted, but then they want to win in style, with a swagger and then play believe able football that every other clubs fans envy us for.

Who really wants to win with a breakaway goal and then park the bus for 80 odd minutes....some fun that.

....bet it was some fun being a Rocky Marciano fan watching him getting battered every fight only to be redeemed with a victory.

....No there is something more than just winning.....winning in style and raising the notion, it wasn't just a fluke.

Lets hope he still has that confidence by the end of the season.

you **** what now? either the most snarky bollocks seemingly secretly hoping he fails, or just the most obvious thing in the world as we ALL DO hope that he and us have great success as soon as possible.

let's hope it's the latter ay?

• Like 4

as opposed to what? hoping he doesnt?

What kind of nonsensical statement is that. Christ, you'd put a dampener on a Euromillions win

• Like 4

you **** what now? either the most snarky bollocks seemingly secretly hoping he fails, or just the most obvious thing in the world as we ALL DO hope that he and us have great success as soon as possible.

let's hope it's the latter ay?

Tbf, a lot of posts on forums are just stating the obvious.

I don't really see much wrong with what Morpheus said. I too hope he is confident at the end of the season, because it'll mean we've had a good season.

I don't really see much wrong with what Morpheus said. I too hope he is confident at the end of the season, because it'll mean we've had a good season.

Taken as an isolated post, there probably wouldn't be much wrong with it, but in context, that's why I think many people have taken issue with it

• Like 1

WTF! I mean WTF are you all on about?? You all must be as bored as **** or just on some kind of trip.

I meant i hoped he would be as positive at the end of the season as he is now which would mean we've had a good ******* season.

I see all the usual suspects have adopted the same policy of shooting first and asking later and you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

It is for that reason i'm going to give you all what you want and withdraw from the site.

To Mantis at least you had the common decency to ask first and to the Moderators thank you for the privilege.