Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I still think with the exception of Benteke we are still weak through the spine of our team and it will show. Hope the young uns prove me wrong though and we smash Arsenal.

I think Okore will add to our spine and I really do think our midfield trio of Sylla, Delph and Westwood will continue to grow.

I'm not so sure Okore is much different to Vlaar in that he isn't exactly dominant in the air so it will be interesting to see if that weakness still prevails throughout the season?

I like Sylla a great deal and hopefully those players will get better this season but i don't see too many goals coming from that trio and the combination to me is still a little light weight defensively.

I just don't see the balance being right yet through the spine of our team but we'll see.

I don't see us finishing top 4 but I can see us having a good season and being much better than last year.

Okore may not be a power house in the air but I have no doubt him and Luna will improve our defence.

Our formation, midfield trio and attacking trio will also make sure we don't have the kind of run we went on last year.

No what i'm getting at is the obvious weakness teams have targeted through set pieces last season and i've no doubt that opposing teams will test that weakness again. I'd much prefer to have one CB whose strong in the air while the other is better on the ground. More of a balance if you like. 

Its actually the same in our midfield which to me lacks the same ingredient (balance) but i guess we're going to find out pretty soon where we actually are against Arsenal?

We'll have to see what the CB partnership looks like. It may well be Okore and Baker at some point to get a balance.

I disagree completely about the midfield, I think the three I mentioned have a good balance between them. The arsenal game will show certain things but win or lose I don't think it will mean a great or poor season is in store for us.

• Like 1

I'm completely relaxed about Lamberts contract. If he does a job good enough with us to deserve us being worried about his contract there are only 5 or 6 jobs [in this country] that would be a step up for him.

Suppose theres a chance a team abroad could take him, Germany would obviously be the most likely destination and unlike many other British managers I can see Lambert wanting to test himself in other leagues and taking that jump if the below English jobs are inconceivable for him.

United - no chance

Chelsea - no chance

City - no chance

Arsenal - almost no chance, he's not a big enough name for them, theyd bemoan the style of play change

Spurs - really cant see it, they'll go abroad, potentially though this could happen but I would be extremely surprised.

Liverpool - cant see them dumping Rodgers, if they do he has a similar CV to Lambert..possibly though.

Everton would be similar to us and I see them dropping a bit now Moyes has gone.

If we have to worry about losing him to the likes of West Ham, Southampton, Norwich, Fulham, WBA, Swansea then, as much as I like the guy, he wouldn't have done as good a job here as he could've done.

also think Vlaar and KEA will add more than last season now they should be up to speed

KEA?  :crylaugh:

Why can't he improve on last season?

Has KEA not already shown you why.

Delph did too, didn't give up on him.

Good for you but we're talking about KEA and not Delph who still has a lot to prove.

Now Big John is being nice and positive you are easily the most negative person on this site. Here is your trophy  :hooray:

• Like 1

Praying that we see a Lambert contract extension soon.

Personally I think he is a long way off deserving one of those.

I'm completely relaxed about Lamberts contract. If he does a job good enough with us to deserve us being worried about his contract there are only 5 or 6 jobs [in this country] that would be a step up for him.

Suppose theres a chance a team abroad could take him, Germany would obviously be the most likely destination and unlike many other British managers I can see Lambert wanting to test himself in other leagues and taking that jump if the below English jobs are inconceivable for him.

United - no chance

Chelsea - no chance

City - no chance

Arsenal - almost no chance, he's not a big enough name for them, theyd bemoan the style of play change

Spurs - really cant see it, they'll go abroad, potentially though this could happen but I would be extremely surprised.

Liverpool - cant see them dumping Rodgers, if they do he has a similar CV to Lambert..possibly though.

Everton would be similar to us and I see them dropping a bit now Moyes has gone.

If we have to worry about losing him to the likes of West Ham, Southampton, Norwich, Fulham, WBA, Swansea then, as much as I like the guy, he wouldn't have done as good a job here as he could've done.

that really isn't one of you better posts.....and I am a fan.

Yeah he's really earned one saving us from relegation with one game to go. Next a Lambert stature outside Villa Park.

rhony-luann-unimpressed.gif

• Like 1

also think Vlaar and KEA will add more than last season now they should be up to speed

KEA?  :crylaugh:

Why can't he improve on last season?

Has KEA not already shown you why.

Delph did too, didn't give up on him.

Good for you but we're talking about KEA and not Delph who still has a lot to prove.

Now Big John is being nice and positive you are easily the most negative person on this site. Here is your trophy  :hooray:

Thanks for that and give yourself one as well for being the poster who can't seem to get anything right.

Yeah he's really earned one saving us from relegation with one game to go. Next a Lambert stature outside Villa Park.

Heaven forbid we try to keep a manager who has shown signs of progress both on and off the field. **** stability, let's get Redknapp eh?

• Like 3

rhony-luann-unimpressed.gif

Is that you Stefan with makeup? ;)

I really wish I could see life as simply as you Morpheus. Life would be simple. We finished 15th so Lambert is shit and that's that. No context mentioned.

On the face of it, sleeping with your aunt while you have a fiancee looks bad, but I'm sure there's context no? ;)

Yeah in the right thread and this isn't it.

So the only thing that matters is the present day? There is no need to build stability or think of the future? Do you not see what Lambert is trying to build here with the young player that REALLY want to play for the club and build themselves a career? He's building a team from scratch with players that have bought into his philosophy.

We could go another way and just throw money at players and finish maybe in the top seven this season and be bankrupt in a few years. Then, presumably, you would be happy.

Thankfully you are in a tiny minority of Villa supporters.

Like others, I can't wait for this season!

I'm still a little worried that we'll leak goals, because we've strengthened the squad more than the first team...... but then I also remember that last season we played Bannan, Bent, Herd, Lichaj, Given & Ireland more than I'd have liked, and they wont be playing as much (or at all, in some cases) this season!

I think we'll flirt with the relegation battlers in 17th/16th/15th but will be mid-table by the end of the season.

Heaven forbid we try to keep a manager who has shown signs of progress both on and off the field. **** stability, let's get Redknapp eh?

In all honesty, my prayers for his contract are to do with the future, very little to do with results from last season but more to do with how he has us playing and the mentality he is creating within the club.