Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Yeah, he can be rash. I'm not sure I agree with the way he treated Bent, for example. I'm kinda hoping that once he's moved on the players he inherited and doesn't want, he'll be a bit more measured (he won't have any excuse not to).

I was impressed in particular with the Benteke saga. Obviously that he got him to stay, but also in the way that he didn't deal with it in the way that I feared - refusing to sell and threatening to freeze Benteke out, basically just playing the hard man like Di Canio or the like might do. Rather he seems to have taken a less confrontational approach which means we've been able to brush the entire affair under the carpet, and means that the fans won't be encouraged to get on Benteke's back or make him feel unwelcome. 

He's probably learned a lot about the players and himself last season and hopefully he'll have that reassurance this season that it will now be his team to play in the way that he wants.

Defining season for him here where there are no further excuses available for a repeat of last season.

He's probably learned a lot about the players and himself last season and hopefully he'll have that reassurance this season that it will now be his team to play in the way that he wants.

Defining season for him here where there are no further excuses available for a repeat of last season.

I think the amount of cash he has spent - would mean another season of struggle is acceptable to the owners of the club. Maybe not the supporters !!!! - Regarding Lamberts future I fear he will get fed up of the limited funds - before PF/RL get fed up of average results on the pitch. The balance sheet is pretty much all they are interested in (IMO)

Thanks guys. I think we can discount Mackay because it's not a season in the Premier League if you're in the Championship, leaving Lambert 6th overall after one season. Madness.

I really hope he sticks around for at least three seasons, because by then he'll have a squad entirely filled with players he bought or kept rather than players he inherited. There must come a point where your performances are improved by actually having the players you want to play the system you want to play.

I also think that the "buy young" idea means he'll be more likely to stay than the average manager. It's not like being a chequebook manager where you can just buy half a new team immediately - the buying young philosophy takes time to bear fruit and hopefully Lambert will want to be around to see the results.

But it's still a season (in his case two) that the club kept him.

Edit: referring to mackay

Edited by Rovers13

and looking at the job length table for manager it is a shame one man had more experience in one club than 19 other men in their club. Shocking job security.

But then managers do it to themselves somewhat. Moyes, Lambert, Brendan Rodgers, Michael Laudrup, even Pellegrini all quit jobs where they had lots of job security.

Mackay has been in his job longer too - if you include teams not in the prem at the time :)

Wenger - Arsenal - 17 seasons (Sep '96)

Pardew - Newcastle - 3 seasons (Dec '10)

Allardyce - West Ham - 2 seasons (Jun '11)

Jol - Fulham - 2 seasons (Jun '11)

Mackay - Cardiff - 2 seasons (Jun '11)

Rodgers - Liverpool - 1 season (Jun '12)

LAMBERT - VILLA - 1 season (Jun '12)

Hughton - Norwich - 1 season (Jun '12)

Bruce - Hull - 1 season (Jun '12)

Clarke - West Brom - 1 season (Jun '12)

Laudrup - Swansea - 1 season (Jun '12)

AVB - Tottenham - 1 season (Jul '12)

Holloway - Crystal Palace - 1 season (Jul '12)

Pochettino - Southampton - 0 seasons (Jan '13)

Di Canio - Sunderland - 0 seasons (Mar '13)

Moyes - Man Utd - 0 seasons (May '13)

Hughes - Stoke - 0 seasons (May '13)

Mourinho - Chelsea (second stint) (Jun '13)

Martinez - Everton - 0 seasons (Jun '13)

Pellegrini - Man City - 0 seasons (Jun '13)

That is amazing.....one manager over 3 seasons.

He's been better off the pitch than on it.

The work he's done within the club with regards to player selection and recruitment has been both refreshing and encouraging. He's brought in young and hungry players, on sensible wages, while getting rid of the over paid prima-donnas who have plagued our wage bill over recent seasons.

He's not exactly a tactical genius though. I hope he goes into this season having learnt that there are better formations than 352, and that when your team needs a goal - the answer isn't always to play with 6 strikers. He also needs to steady up our defense and learn when to play a bit more conservatively, because no one enjoys watching Chelsea knocking 8 past their team.

Overall he has us pointing in the right direction, but there's going to be plenty more lows along the way.

Shillz, you make some fair points but we are a "work in progress team" managed by a "work in progress"manager, directed by a "work in progress"board.

We are essentially a young outfit in every sense of the word....there will be "those days" but focus on the bigger picture, it's much better than the "narrow window"

Paul Lambert will prove right for this job.

Overall we're going in the right direction now after three awful years, I think a top half finish is very achievable this season and we can build on from there.

Now the black mark against Lambert remains Bradford so would be great if he could rectifiy it in his reign here.

The work he's done within the club with regards to player selection and recruitment has been both refreshing and encouraging. He's brought in young and hungry players, on sensible wages, while getting rid of the over paid prima-donnas who have plagued our wage bill over recent seasons.

He's not exactly a tactical genius though. I hope he goes into this season having learnt that there are better formations than 352, and that when your team needs a goal - the answer isn't always to play with 6 strikers. He also needs to steady up our defense and learn when to play a bit more conservatively, because no one enjoys watching Chelsea knocking 8 past their team.

Overall he has us pointing in the right direction, but there's going to be plenty more lows along the way.

Shillz, you make some fair points but we are a "work in progress team" managed by a "work in progress"manager, directed by a "work in progress"board.

We are essentially a young outfit in every sense of the word....there will be "those days" but focus on the bigger picture, it's much better than the "narrow window"

Absolutely correct.

By recognising some of Lamberts weaknesses it doesn't stop me from also recognising his strengths. You actually put it very well; I hope Lambert continues to improve this season in the same way that I expect Lowton & Westwood to continue their progress.

I am very happy with Lambert, but there are areas that he can, and hopefully will, improve.

Absolutely correct.

By recognising some of Lamberts weaknesses it doesn't stop me from also recognising his strengths. You actually put it very well; I hope Lambert continues to improve this season in the same way that I expect Lowton & Westwood to continue their progress.

I am very happy with Lambert, but there are areas that he can, and hopefully will, improve.

Of course....and the same could be said for PF & RL....The important thing is the attitude right and in my opinion the attitude between PF/RL & PL is one of "all for one and one for all. They will have slightly different remits, but I believe there is a healthy respect between them all......essential for running a successful football club.

I do hope that if we do good/decent this season(9-13) that we continue on with Lambert for quite some time, so we can really build something.

We will.

I do wish people would stop going on about the 3-5-2. He had no choice but to put an extra man back there. It really seemed to be working at first but then it all went wrong and he stuck with it just long enough to make sure he wasn't panicking and getting rid of it too quickly.

It was pretty much:

Vlaar injured, Lambert brought Herd in to help Clark and Baker.

We beat Liverpool and Norwich convincingly.

We lost to Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan. 

He switched back to 4-4-2, things didn't improve much until Vlaar came back.

• Like 4

Good manager, but if he can't get his head 'round sorting out the defence he'll not be in the top echelon. Vlaar and Baker have to start v Arsenal. Okore must win his place. Clark must pay for his poor performances by being dropped.

Worst thing about that whole Christmas patch was I was waiting on both teams to score in that Chelsea Villa game for €120, & just thought get one just one but no. The next game versus Spurs was also a my last game in my both teams to score accum was worth a similar amount and would have paid for a night out at Christmas but no. Then I said I'd go big on them to beat Wigan at home because they owed us, and we get trounced. :(

yeah the 3-5-2 was unfairly criticized, obviously it didnt work though we beat Liverpool BUT he needed that extra body to make up for inexperience. If Vlaar or even Dunne had of been fit we wouldnt have seen it.

we had a back 4 of Lowton-Clark -Baker - Bennett and had about 50 premier league games between them at that stage 

• Like 1

Worst thing about that whole Christmas patch was I was waiting on both teams to score in that Chelsea Villa game for €120, & just thought get one just one but no. The next game versus Spurs was also a my last game in my both teams to score accum was worth a similar amount and would have paid for a night out at Christmas but no. Then I said I'd go big on them to beat Wigan at home because they owed us, and we get trounced. :(

Never bet on your own team man!

• Like 1

Never bet on your own team man!

Mate of mine and his dad are Cov fans.

They made a small fortune the season they got relegated from the championship by betting against Cov every week :D

Just started out with a small bet each week against he team as a "consolation" if they lost. Eventually the bets got bigger and bigger.

I'm convinced they WANTED Cov to lose by the end of the season :)

• Like 1