Gaming 2013

hogso

Here's some really encouraging quotes from Blake Jorgenson, chief financial officer at EA, courtesy of Seeking Alpha.

‘The next and much bigger piece [of the business] is
microtransactions within games'

‘We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things
along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character,
to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be'

‘Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business.’

Holy god.

Also there is a new Wii being released on March 22. It is called the Wii Mini. I don't know either.

Same as the one released in... Canada I think arse end of last year?

That's the fella. The report I read says that it's actually barely any smaller than the normal Wii :mellow:

The Wii mini is a seriously gimped piece of hardware. I've been intending to pick up a Wii for a longtime, not so much to play crappy Wii games with the useless controller/magic wand, but to take advantage of Nintendo's estore so I can get my hands on the classics from yesteryear, so what did Nintendo do with the mini? why strip out the WIFI of course, as well as take way the Wii's gamecube backwards compatibility. 

What a load of crap.

Ordered Tomb Raider, I've never played one before as I was a nintendo kid but I'm looking forward to it.

Got dishonored too, is it as good as the reviews suggest?

I hope Dishonored is that good as I'm going to start it now I've finished Far Cry 3. Will definitely get Tomb Raider as it looks excellent.

Giant Bomb live stream of Sim City 2013

If you get the archive then I think it starts at about 8 minutes.  I was quite interested in the game, I think Jeff put me off buying it within the first ten minutes. I knew the maximum size of city was going to be smaller in this game but it seems you can't build anything bigger than Nuneaton by the looks of things. Disappointing. 

Big enough to build Nuneaton? Fine with me. I'll do the town centre, Coton, Abbey Green, Hill Top, Weddington, Stockingford, Tramp HIll, Whitestone, Chapel End, Grove Farm, Attleborough, even Bermuda Village and the Arbury Estate!

For srs though I only ever played one of the really early Sim City games. SNES one. They didn't appeal to me as much as Civ, so I played those in later years on PC instead.

Big enough to build Nuneaton? Fine with me. I'll do the town centre, Coton, Abbey Green, Hill Top, Weddington, Stockingford, Tramp HIll, Whitestone, Chapel End, Grove Farm, Attleborough, even Bermuda Village and the Arbury Estate!

For srs though I only ever played one of the really early Sim City games. SNES one. They didn't appeal to me as much as Civ, so I played those in later years on PC instead.

Grove Farm represent!:D

Probably most of us don't care, but here are the Video Game BAFTA results

Best Game: Dishonored

Best Action Game: Far Cry 3

Best British Game: The Room

Best Multiplayer: Journey

Best Performer: Danny Wallace (Thomas Was Alone)

Best Mobile Game: The Walking Dead

Best Audio: Journey

Best Family Game: Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

Best Strategy Game: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Best Game Design: Journey

Ones to Watch: Starcrossed

Online Browser Game: SongPop

Artistic Achievement: Journey

Game Innovation: The Unfinished Swan

Best Sports/Fitness game: New Star Soccer

Best Story: The Walking Dead

Best Original Music: Journey

Best Debut Game: The Unfinished Swan

Fellowship Award: Gabe Newell

Journey, Walking Dead, NSS, XCom - good.

I think it would have won that award in particular for being innovative rather than anything design-wise or technical. I thought it was quite cool that you were put in to a world with random players with very few tools to communicate, but it was just something a bit different. I don't know if I agree that originality alone was enough to win an award, but oh well.

Here's some really encouraging quotes from Blake Jorgenson, chief financial officer at EA, courtesy of Seeking Alpha.

‘The next and much bigger piece [of the business] is

microtransactions within games'

‘We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things

along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character,

to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be'

‘Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business.’

Holy god.

Can I translate this?

"We're not actually going to put a complete product on the shelf for you to buy. It will cost the same though, so our profit margin becomes ludacrous as we've spent hardly any money on development. We will do some development, but we'll introduce "micro-transactions" to make you pay more and more money for it."

To see my views on EA, please view the SimCity thread.

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business"

I'd agree with him that they're probably "embracing" it. But I'd argue that it's only because they have to.

I certainly wouldn't say consumers are "enjoying" it. I don't know anyone who isn't annoyed by having to pay for stuff in game.

The upshot, if this is indeed the way gaming is ultimately heading, is that I might wind up jacking it all in and taking up hobbies again.  Without computer games, my productivity could skyrocket.

Penny Arcade's dark vision of the future made me chuckle, at least....

i-9cXZC54-950x10000.jpg

Well, my enjoyment of Tomb Raider has just bottomed out completely with this **** GAMEBREAKING GLITCH. :rant:  About 3/4 of the way through, you get an item  to use to pull a heavy weight at the end of a crane.  What's supposed to happen is the weight swings towards you, snaps off the crane and falls through the floor in front of you, creating a hole for you to continue (there's no alternate routes or other ways to progress the game).  Except the crane moves but the weight just hangs there, suspended magically in the air.  Try reloading the last checkpoint you say?  Doesn't **** work.  My only option now is literally start the whole **** game over again after 10+ hours, or wait for it to get patched.  Thanks, Crystal Dynamics.

So yeah, word of warning; wait until this is patched before forking out.

Tomb raiders stupid cut scenes and game mechanics are infuriating me. I just want to solve another tragic cut scene by pulling out my gun and pulling off a head shot like I have just done 20 times 2 minutes ago. But Lara suddenly loses the ability to do anything useful every five minutes, when you get forced into a cut scene. It's just poor writing that they can't think of a way to move the exploration along, without taking away reactions that the character is totally capable of doing, No I don't need to climb over there to avoid 'too many' guards, I just killed twice as many completely by myself a second ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â