Gaming 2013

hogso

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got a 3DS? A little gem has been released via the eshop - Attack of the Friday Monsters! It's a game by a Japanese dev who is well known over there for his life simulator games, but they don't ever see the light of day here. The best example of a similar game seems to be The Walking Dead - a game which is good almost entirely due to it's strong narrative and characters - the fact that there is very little gameplay doesn't hinder it at all. Attack of the Friday Monsters! is similar in that there is very little gameplay, but a lovely story, with excellent presentation and art. The story puts you as a kid in the 70s who lives in a town in Japan. Every Friday Godzilla like monsters fight on the outskirts of town, and he investigates. Wish I had a 3DS, as it really sounds like my kind of thing.

Humble Deep Silver Bundle now on sale - pay what you like and get Saints Row 2, Saints Row: The Third, Risen 2: Dark Waters, and Sacred 2 Gold. Pay the average (currently $4.41, a whopping £2.89) and get Dead Island GOTY and all the DLC for Saints Row 3 thrown in. It's up for the next two weeks, so get in there while you can.

Tales of Xilia out on PS3 this week. Typical of the Tales series is cliche ridden stuff, and isn't a patch on the visuals of Ni No Kuni, but still worth a look for JRPG fans. The battle system has been rejinked again, and is alledged to be the best ever.

I still can't believe that THQ went out of business and these **** clowns get to run a cash grab on THQ's old games.

That felt a bit dodgy to me too. I purchased but gave 100% of the money to the Red Cross.

Edited by Laivasse

Anyone had a go at/heard of Papers, Please? From Wiki;

The gameplay of Papers, Please focuses on the work life of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint for the fictitious country of Arstotzka. The player inspects would-be immigrants' documents and uses a sparse array of tools to determine whether the papers are in order for the purpose of keeping spies, smugglers and other unwanted individuals out of the country. At the end of each in-game day, the player earns money based on how many immigrants they processed less any penalties for mistakes, and then must decide on a simple budget to spend that money on rent, food, heat, and other necessities in low-class housing for themselves and their family. As relations between Arstotzka and nearby countries deteriorate due to multiple terrorist attacks, each day introduces a new set of rules for immigration based on the game's story, such as denying citizens of specific countries or demanding more exacting identification from citizens. The player may be challenged with moral dilemmas as the game progresses, such as allowing the spouse of one immigrant through despite them lacking complete papers. The game has a scripted story mode with multiple possible endings, as well as an unlockable, randomized endless-play mode.

And that's really it. Despite the minimal gameplay, it's been receiving very encouraging reviews, and I'm looking forward to giving it a go myself.

Tales of Xilia out on PS3 this week. Typical of the Tales series is cliche ridden stuff, and isn't a patch on the visuals of Ni No Kuni, but still worth a look for JRPG fans. The battle system has been rejinked again, and is alledged to be the best ever.

There is a Tales game out for 3DS, is this by the same people as it looks quite good? 

Really enjoying Tales of Xillia do far, I've only played Symphonia and Vesperia and its just a little bit behind those two but I've read its the best of the rest and a big improvement on Graces F. It may be a bit cliche but that's ok now and again in my book.

I'd recommend it to any jrpg fan.

There is a Tales game out for 3DS, is this by the same people as it looks quite good? 

Yeah, it is by the same devs. Rather than the Squaresoft/Square Enix approach of making numbered games in the Final Fantasy series, even though they have no relation to each other storywise, Bandai Namco give the games in their series a different name each time. Haven't played Abyss on either PS2 or 3DS, but a quick look at some reviews place it pretty highly in rankings for Tales... games, and it's a cracking series in regards to the battle system, and art design. Although, as I said above, don't expect any stunning story or anything like that, it's all very cliche.

Edited by hogso

I've already lost 13 hours into Spelunky HD on pc. There really aren't much words to describe the brutality of it, but ultimately how finely tuned it is; easily the most addictive game i've played in many years. I think if I can beat hell it'll rank along side my greatest ever gaming achievement. It'll be many, many months before I'll be able to do it though. The leaderboard system is brilliant, competing against loads of my favourite youtubers that play the game. The daily challenge makes for hilarious live streaming viewing too. 

When the moments of hope and the elation of reaching the mini goal that you've set yourself have been passed and you don't feel a great injustice of being pummeled by a yeti, pierced on a spike or killed yourself by dropping a stone on your head, there's an all time classic game here, I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

supposedly a cheaper alternative...

red1.jpg

very surprised with the design, looks like it doesn't fold, which in one way is good because it seems to be what causes every kid in my family to break theirs, BUT it means you can stick it in your pocket / handbag, which doesn't really make sense, also IMO £110 isn't that cheap

Â