Gaming 2013

hogso

Fallout New Vegas was published by Bethesda, but it was made by Obsidian who are largely staffed by former employees of Black Isle Studios who of course made Fallout 2 back in the day.

Hard to say what is best for the next Fallout game. I suspect it might be one of those games which comes out on both current gen and next gen consoles if it is released in 2014. I dont think there is any real reason why the next Xbox (720?) version wont just be a port of the PC version of the game, that should be a relatively easy process to do if the next Xbox is indeed just a custom DX11 machine which is equivalent to a decent gaming rig today.

Some developers will be waiting at the moment for the announcement of the new Xbox before being able to announce their new games/release dates, and the platforms they'll be on. They would have had their hands on developers kits for a good while now, so having to wait to get to grips with the new tech before starting to make the new games won't be an issue.

As far back as July/August one of these dev kits appeared for sale on eBay. I remember hearing the story at the time, and that it was sold, because it gave no indication whatsoever about the spec in the thing. It seemed pretty unlikely to be legit, but I didn't hear anything else about it since then.

Edited by hogso

You're probably right. I worked at Rare as a tester up until this time last year and I heard whispers of the new tech coming in pretty soon back then. Not sure about when third party developers get their hands on new tech though. You'd think they would send it out as soon as it was ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Bioshock Infinite previews are looking very very positive. The setting looks superb - there are videos of the first 5 minutes or so floating around, worth a look.

Already sold on it. I loved BioShock as it was and I figure I owe Shawn Elliot £40 anyway so it's a day one purchase for me. Fire those reasons I'm having a media blackout on the game. B

Any try the demo's for Dead Space 3 and Metal Gear Reveangeance?

I tried to like DS3, but it didn't quite do it for me. I love the detail, it feels like the previous two games, control wise, which is great aswell as the player moves fantastically well around the environs. However, for all that, it is the differences from the previous two games that are causing the (expected) trouble. What made the first two games great, but especially the first, was the claustrophobic atmosphere, and tight surroundings for nigh on the entire game. The DS3 demo shows off some impressive looking landscapes, but they're just too big. If a Necro is coming at you, you can back away to your hearts content til it's down, which in turn saps alot of the panic that the first game, inparticular, created. There are still a few scares, but they're very cheap. Didn't try the co-op.

MGR was a lot of fun. The controls for the sword wielding took some getting used to, but once I had them down, it was pretty great. Well, I say 'got it down' what I actually mean is I got more adept at wanging the sword all over the place quite quickly. Which proved to work quite well when slicing and dicing enemy cyborgs. It retained alot of the atmosphere of the MGS main series, but stealth is not much of a concern, of course.

I played them both. I'm a pussy not a fan of survival horror games. I just don't like jumpy games really. Do nothing for me. The first Dead Space definitely made me jump. Dead Space 3's demo made me jump a couple of times, but only little ones. You're right, the claustrophobic atmosphere is what makes those games, that and the feeling of lonliness. It seems that Visceral just though, **** it, let's take the best things about our games and flip it around. So instead of claustrophic lonliness, you have wide open space co-op. Strange choice.

It's a shame I don't like those kinds of games because the story for Dead Space is really interesting.

I played the Revengeance demo too. I wasn't sold on it. It kept with traditional MGS protocol, especially with lengthy cutscenes that have no place in a demo. I just thought it was a bit naff really, but then again I didn't get the hang of the controls at all. I couldn't deflect any attack for love nor money. That robotic panther thing utterly destroyed me.

Oh man yeh! The panther thing! I know what you about the deflecting attacks thing, I couldnt figure that out either. So, I resorted to jumping in the air instead, which worked a bit better. Then when I got it's health down and he sent normal goons at me, I finished with with the special attack thing where he rips the spine out and like drinks the juice out of it or something? I duno. But it fills yer health up to 100%, which is nice. Did that until the Panther things was down to about 15% health, and it started to fall over alot. Then I got it wedged in between a car and a wall, and spammed attack :) DEAD. The demo ends right there anyways, so you didnt miss anything.

Ah fair enough. It was okay, and from the mall glimpse you get, it looks convincingly set in the MGS universe. I'm not very good at hack n' slash though, so it's no wonder I didn't think it was all that.

Can't wait 'til Friday for Ni No Kuni. Reading a lot of great things about it. The music is supposed to be as stunning as the visuals. I still have Tales of Graces f to play, barely touched it. It'll have to wait until after NNK now though.

Â