The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I might be being harsh on him but I think he could've knocked it over the bar rather than palming it back into play, though I'll give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as he was being impeded.

It hit the bar and came out didn't it? Given never got a touch

Looking at the penalty....I think at 39 Given just dosen't have the reach anymore to get across his goal when he dives. Especially after busting his shoulder at Man. City a few years back.

I think if Guzan goes the right way he would've tipped Lukaku's penalty round the post as it wasn't right in the corner and Given couldn't get down in time.

I don't think that is the issue, if you watch the penalty Given steps out before Lukaku strikes it, giving him no chance of getting down and across in time.

You're both wrong. He was wrong footed, simple as that

No I am not.

Think he should have done better for both goals personally - Lukaku's pen wasn't up to much and he should have been stronger with Coleman. I think Guzan would have kept at least one of those out.

the penalty was right in the corner, most keepers wouldnt have saved it wspecially as Given was about 3 yards off his line as well to cover the angle

It wasn't right in the corner at all.

I don't thin kyou can ever blame a keeper for not saving a penalty, so I don't blame Given for that at all. But it wasn't right in the corner.

I take this back. It was right in the corner. I made my previous statement based on where it was as it passed Given. By the time it got to the goal it was right in the corner.

Knowing the way Clattenburg reffed the game even if Given had have pushed Coleman out of the way he'd have probably given a penalty anyway.

I'd put money on it.

As Clattenburg was born, bred and still lives in the Newcastle area, should the FA be more savvy when appointing referees in matches directly affecting relegation rivals?

One thing I did notice Given's distribution is not one the same level as Guzan's. Guzan 9 times out of 10 would find Benteke's head from long goal kicks. We kind of took this for granted.

One the penalty, Given despite it being perfectly placed into the bottom corner almost gets to it so you can't berate him for that/

Edited by supernova26

One thing I did notice Given's distribution is not one the same level as Guzan's. Guzan 9 times out of 10 would find Benteke's head from long goal kicks. We kind of took this for granted.

One the penalty, Given despite it being perfectly placed into the bottom corner almost gets to it so you can't berate him for that/

Are you joking?  9 out of 10 times Guzan's distribution is out over the sideline.  Worst kicker of a ball i have seen for a keeper.  Did Petrov or someone recently make a joke on twiter to him about it?

Given's distribution is very good. He has a good footballing brain, not just for a goalkeeper but generally. He's conservative but he very rarely makes mistakes as a result, he's a "safe pair of hands".

He seems to command his area better too these days.

Scared me today. He made quite a few errors that no one is talking about. He was intentionally running into Nolan trying to get the foul instead of just playing the ball. Plus what was the error he made when he gave up the corner. He parried a bouncing ball that should have easily been caught for a corner. 

In fairness Nolan and a few others were piling into him on the corners so a bit more obvious foul than the Coleman one last week.

It's clear he's not going to be the long term number one here again but I'm happy enough with him in the team atm.

In an ideal world we'd pay up his contract for the last year and he'd move on or accept maybe a lower coaching contract offer, Guzan's little break will refocus him and we'd also sign a younger keeper to seriously challenge him next season.

In an ideal world we'd pay up his contract for the last year 

I don't see how that's ideal? In an ideal world he'd take half the value of it to walk away saving us the money. if we were going to pay the value of it out we might as well just keep him as backup for a year and get SOMETHING for the money?

**** Kevin Nolan, he made a career out of doing that and was good see him get caught today. he made one error in 1st half but except that he had nothing to do

Â