U.S. Politics

maqroll

23 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Pretty horrible what the Republicans, and now the president are doing to Ilhan Omar.

Public statements are ultimately not worth all that much, but they do at least provide some guidance as to which people are so unbelievably cowardly as not to defend a colleague from a bad-faith attack that is leading to her receiving ever more death threats. In that light, Gillibrand and Pelosi put out absolutely dreadful statements; Biden and Booker haven't found it in them to say anything whatsoever. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Public statements are ultimately not worth all that much, but they do at least provide some guidance as to which people are so unbelievably cowardly as not to defend a colleague from a bad-faith attack that is leading to her receiving ever more death threats. In that light, Gillibrand and Pelosi put out absolutely dreadful statements; Biden and Booker haven't found it in them to say anything whatsoever. 

Yep, when you can't even pay lip service it says it all. They're all about party unity when it comes to voting for one of their corporate lackeys, but can't even feign to shield one of their own from Donald Trump the man they can't stop talking about even if he misspells a word on Twitter.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2019 at 23:06, Keyblade said:

Pretty horrible what the Republicans, and now the president are doing to Ilhan Omar.

They were clumsy remarks, there's really only one 'way' to talk about 9/11 publicly in that country and she obviously didn't get that memo. Not that I agree with her treatment at all, it's shocking, but it took some amount of naivety to say something like that without considering how her enemies could use it.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They were clumsy remarks, there's really only one 'way' to talk about 9/11 publicly in that country and she obviously didn't get that memo. Not that I agree with her treatment at all, it's shocking, but it took some amount of naivety to say something like that without considering how her enemies could use it.

They jumped on her for making the 100% factual remark of 'AIPAC is a very powerful lobby'. She could have said anything about 9/11 and this would have still happened.

In fact, there was a billboard endorsed by the GOP in the Virginia state capitol about a month ago depicting Ilhan as responsible for 9/11. It has nothing to do with what she said and everything to do with who she is.

That her democratic colleagues are complicit and complacent is the worst part. We already knew how Republicans were going to act towards her, but I didn't expect the democrats to show their faces so plainly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

They jumped on her for making the 100% factual remark of 'AIPAC is a very powerful lobby'. She could have said anything about 9/11 and this would have still happened.

In fact, there was a billboard endorsed by the GOP in the Virginia state capitol about a month ago depicting Ilhan as responsible for 9/11. It has nothing to do with what she said and everything to do with who she is.

That her democratic colleagues are complicit and complacent is the worst part. We already knew how Republicans were going to act towards her, but I didn't expect the democrats to show their faces so plainly.

This is true for some of those attacking her but not others, I'd imagine that comment by any democrat would have lead to a strong response. I'd say she's putting a bit of a rod in her back on certain issues, lets not forget she was recently apologising for tweets that clearly had anti-Semitic undertones.

Â