U.S. Politics

maqroll

Worth remembering that one of first things Kavanaugh said yesterday was a threat - that Democrats would reap what they had sowed.

So expect him to be an uber word removed given any opportunity. 

Once again, the entire thing is a farce. Political appointments, for life, to the highest court in the land. Absurd.

And the state of the committee... There truly is some absolute scum on it.

The only hope had to be that young people are watching and remembering that the Republican party is an shameful stain on their country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Is it normal for people to be checking their phones, eating peanuts and just generally not listening to what's being said? ?

Cos that's what Mr Grassley is doin right now... 

At least he's awake, see: Orin Hatch

49 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I truly despise the americans like graham and supporters of him, just beyond contemptible pieces of shit. I wish the UK had the balls to just disconnect all ties with that **** shithole government

When Obama was president, he was always seen as he is now. It was so disappointing to see the lauding of him and the dead uber-patriot McCain just because they were slightly against Trump.

The positive in this is that across the US there has been a spike in reporting of sexual assaults, Ford's legacy is that young women who find themselves in the situation she was in will feel more confident in going immediately to the right authorities. That confidence is too late for her - if she'd been able to report this in the 80's we might be in a different place now - we're not.

There's no evidence that Kavanaugh committed an assault on her, no prosecutor would take it to court, there's just nothing but the accusation - now I don't like him, I hope very much he doesn't make it to the Supreme Court - but I think that whilst there are a million good reasons to keep him from that position - an (unfortunately) unproven accusation shouldn't be one of them. Whilst I found her to be a credible witness, I think there's a danger in proclaiming guilt and sentence (in this case, the sentence of non-career progression) without evidence - it's evidence that should decide - not the degree to which the accused looks like just the sort. 

There's no clean end to this - Kavanaugh is the opposite of what I'd like on the Supreme Court, but he's what America picked. Ford may well have been the victim of a sexual assault, but the society and the times meant that she wasn't able to report it at a time it could have made a difference. It's a lot of good principles in opposition to each other - women should be safe from predatory men, people should be innocent until proven guilty, the best and most honest should sit in judgement in our courts. 

This spectacle will hopefully change the culture of reporting sexual assault in the US. Unfortunately, I don't think it will help Dr Ford or stop Mr Kavanaugh.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's no clean end to this - Kavanaugh is the opposite of what I'd like on the Supreme Court, but he's what America picked. 

Not really accurate.

A minority of Americans may have voted for Donald Trump to become President although due to interference in the 2016 US election the Russian KGB it's hard to say that for sure. The Federalist society* have put forward this candidate to President Trump who then nominated him.

*Secret cult of the paedo Catholic Church.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Not really accurate.

A minority of Americans may have voted for Donald Trump to become President although due to interference in the 2016 US election the Russian KGB it's hard to say that for sure. The Federalist society* have put forward this candidate to President Trump who then nominated him.

*Secret cult of the paedo Catholic Church.

There is no evidence that the KGB (which doesn't actually exist, even under your bed) significantly (as in, their work got Trump x% that turned the tide in his favor) influenced the result of the US election. It's time to grow up and throw that comfort blanket to the side.

Donald Trump was elected under the democratic principles established to choose the president of the USA. 

Now, once there... go forward and attack the policies and the character of the man.There is so much to complain about, but don't dis-credit what you say by including that statement. Crying about boogie men has lead to almost 2 yrs of no opposition to the republican agenda outside of pointing fingers and waving morals and ethics in the air. 

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

There is no evidence that the KGB (which doesn't actually exist, even under your bed)

I used it ironically because of Putins association. Come on, I know you are smart enough to get that.

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

significantly (as in, their work got Trump x% that turned the tide in his favor) influenced the result of the US election. It's time to grow up and throw that comfort blanket to the side.

Voting Machine Used in Half of U.S. Is Vulnerable to Attack, Report Finds

Election machines used in more than half of U.S. states carry a flaw disclosed more than a decade ago that makes them vulnerable to a cyberattack, according to a report to be delivered Thursday on Capitol Hill.

From the usually right leaning WSJ - https://www.wsj.com/articles/widely-used-election-systems-are-vulnerable-to-attack-report-finds-1538020802

Or is the WSJ "fake news" in your opinion?

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

It's time to grow up and throw that comfort blanket to the side.

One of your normal patronizing asides that you throw around like confetti. Don't worry I don't take it personally as you do it to everyone.

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

Donald Trump was elected under the democratic principles established to choose the president of the USA. 

Not sure where I or anyone said that he wasn't.

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

Now, once there... go forward and attack the policies and the character of the man.

Have done many times.

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

Crying about boogie men has lead to almost 2 yrs of no opposition to the republican agenda outside of pointing fingers and waving morals and ethics in the air. 

Wow. Thanks for distilling the last two years down to that sentence for us.

Â