U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That was one of the most batshit things I've ever seen

If he's innocent, why isn't he clambering for an FBI investigation to clear his name?

Because he's a belligerent entitled arrogant SOB who believes it he deserves to be on the SCOTUS. It also appears as though he has a substance abuse problem.

Conservatives in the US having been working for 25 years to get the court balanced this way. It's about the secretive cult sect of the Catholic paedo Church, The Federalist Society. They have been funding young, white conservative judges for years and finally there is a puppet like Trump to appoint their stooges. They are so close and they aren't going to let a little thing like a serious sexual crime by a credible witness get in their way.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

Because an investigation delays and throws doubt on his confirmation, and that's all that matters. Especially because he will give Trump a bulletproof vest - he believes a president can't be charged for a crime.

Kavanaugh will be confirmed and all today did was paint a paper thin veneer of legitimacy on proceedings. The entire thing is a farce, a charade.

It's even more galling when you have the Republicans braying about political games being played when they blocked the confirmation of a judge themselves for an obscene time and patted themselves on the bank. And that guy wasn't an alleged attempted rapist.

The US has deep, deep seated issues. The nonsense today was a mockery of democracy, in aid of a mockery of a legal system. It has a party that seems uniquely despicably in power, and lead by an imbecile.

• Like 3

as Kamala Harris said, if the Dems just wanted to play games, Gorsuch would have had the same treatment.

He didn't.

As @TheAuthority said, Kavanaugh is a spoilt, arrogant word removed who showed himself up as not of the correct conduct to seat on the SC today, and that's without the accusations.

Jesus Christ I'm so annoyed I started watching this. I'm about 2 hours behind I think what with pausing the stream and that.

all I can really say so far is Dr Ford is much more credible than Kavanaugh
This wouldn't get anywhere near a Court of Law
I liked the woman who I think was from Hawaii

Big day for the country Friday. If Grassley decides to delay the vote, it's a Dem win. If they decide to vote, good luck women of America. It might be a return of coat hanger back alley abortions.

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

He's a gaping arsehole.

Fun fact about Lindsay Graham - for years, his website claimed that he was a 'veteran' of the first Gulf War. His actual role was as a military lawyer, briefing departing pilots on American soil. When people pointed out that he was lying about his service record, he naturally accused them of denigrating his service or whatever. 

There's not many worse people in politics in any developed country. 

• Sad 1

I stayed up late to watch all of this last night.  I was absolutely aghast at what I was watching.  As has been pointed out, even without the allegations, or even if they weren't true (spoiler alert - they are) he just came across as, at best, a clouded thinker.

"I went to Yale.  I played sports.  I worked hard."

So did all the women in that room, you chump.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Anyone know whether Mr Kavanaugh played varsity basketball?

No, but if you would ask him a random question, I’m sure he will tell you.

I would prefer to know if he likes beer and if he has ever had one though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We never found out what position Dr Ford played on the high school football team?

Oh god what were the 3 films aswell, Animal House, Caddyshack and..... (can't rememeber the 3rd one)

He so left out Porky's off that list :D

Animal House, in a defense to sexual crime allegations!

AnimalHouse_143Pyxurz.jpg&f=1

AnimalHouse_132Pyxurz.jpg&f=1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I stayed up late to watch all of this last night.  I was absolutely aghast at what I was watching. 

Me too. No pun intended (for a change).

I think it stood as a great example of why you should NOT mix up the judiciary with politics. What a shit show.

The only person/body or organisation that appears to have acted in any way with good intention was the alleged victim.

The Senate, Media, Trump (did you all see the hour and a half press conference after the UN?), and on behalf of your entire system - the American people - should be ashamed of the entire process. Or lack of it.

Kavanaugh appeared evasive, belligerent, manipulative and at times not credible. FWIW, I believe the calendars are real. I believe his regret at the pain he caused his family and kids. I believe he likes beer and played sports. That's about all I believed of what he said.

MrsVM had a visceral reaction to his 'letters from women' the way he referred to 'his interns' and all that. But she also found Feinstein unbearable at times. She said she liked how the prosecutor woman went about her business. Said "bloody hell!" and looked quizzically at me when that Lindsey chap did his thing. However she also asked why she went to the press? why no one has reported a crime to the police? why, when handed to feinstein, did she not go to the police and seemingly sat on the information? Political ****ery was about all I could muster as a response and genuinely if there's process we don't understand or reasons we don't know about we'd be interested in knowing, especially from you citizens.

Ms Hirono (All the way through), Booker (When talking to Kavanaugh) and Durbin (When speaking to Ford) had their moments imo.

Part of the pausing of the stream (and starting watching late) was that we kept discussing many things. It certainly threw up many questions we thought. None of which should really have ever been brought to light, certainly not to the general public and definitely not used as a political toy.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

(spoiler alert - they are)

Hard for that not to be the take-away opinion after watching all that. 

However, however annoying it may be, if the lack of corroborative witnesses boils any potential court case into a he said/she said thing then, despite our feelings towards his assumed guilt, it is still that, an assumption. Whilst we, as well as the US, have to address the way we treat and deal with victims of sexual assault there was an important point made about dragging people very publically through the mud based on essentially rumour. How, or more importantly, why has this been a world news event. Don't misunderstand me it's 100% in the US public interest to know and surely the people voting on the appointment of the Judge should have this information and indeed act upon it if they see fit.

The other question we had (perhaps aimed at the yanks among us) was -

Is there no course of redress against Supreme Court Judges - we heard many times it was a lifetime appointment, but if a sitting Judge was found guilty of attempted sexual assault is there really no course of action? Or indeed a sitting Judge of the appeals court?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xann said:

42640198_10156564537416558_505343111858225152_n.jpg

The level of entitlement, self pity, and unhinged rage and hostility was really quite stunning. Even if he's innocent, he demonstrated a complete lack of composure expected from a SCJ. He even threatened Democrats (and their voters) in his opening statement! ("What goes around comes around") 

Another new low for the country.

• Like 1

Is there no course of redress against Supreme Court Judges - we heard many times it was a lifetime appointment, but if a sitting Judge was found guilty of attempted sexual assault is there really no course of action? Or indeed a sitting Judge of the appeals court?

I'm pretty sure impeachment is the mechanism used. But we are flirting with uncharted waters here. If the Trump election is deemed illegitimate then it opens Gorsuch up to impeachment as well. Not sure how it all gets resolved. 

Â